Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Post by bookowlie »

The main characters in this story became friends from random meetings. With one exception, their first meetings had nothing to do with fly fishing. I didn't think it was realistic that so many of the characters would meet and become "instant" friends due to random meetings. Still, I guess people sometimes will meet someone this way and want to become friends with them for various reasons. Give an example of how two of the characters meet and why it might be realistic for them to instantly become friends, given their personalities, the circumstances, etc.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I too think that some of the friendships were "quick." However, I've had friendships where we connected during our first meeting. Actually, our closest friends are ones we met walking up the street when our kids were little. We stood in their front yard, watching the kids play together, for a couple of hours. That night, we got together for pizza. During that first year, we spent Thanksgiving together, the first of many holidays together. We no longer live near each other, but 25 years later, they are still our best friends. It really did start that quick.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:40 I too think that some of the friendships were "quick." However, I've had friendships where we connected during our first meeting. Actually, our closest friends are ones we met walking up the street when our kids were little. We stood in their front yard, watching the kids play together, for a couple of hours. That night, we got together for pizza. During that first year, we spent Thanksgiving together, the first of many holidays together. We no longer live near each other, but 25 years later, they are still our best friends. It really did start that quick.
Yes, I have also had quick and close friendship start up nearby based on our kids. In the book, however, the places the different women met seemed less familiar than meeting in the neighborhood where they lived.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

I have found myself amazed at the way I have met people who became close, quick friends, and then astonished that it took us so long to meet when we realized how much overlap of friendships we had! That being said, I also have a certain of willingness to suspend my disbelief when it comes to reading a fictional book. It doesn’t bother me when the realms of reality are stretched just a little to serve the needs of the book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:45
CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 16:40 I too think that some of the friendships were "quick." However, I've had friendships where we connected during our first meeting. Actually, our closest friends are ones we met walking up the street when our kids were little. We stood in their front yard, watching the kids play together, for a couple of hours. That night, we got together for pizza. During that first year, we spent Thanksgiving together, the first of many holidays together. We no longer live near each other, but 25 years later, they are still our best friends. It really did start that quick.
Yes, I have also had quick and close friendship start up nearby based on our kids. In the book, however, the places the different women met seemed less familiar than meeting in the neighborhood where they lived.
Good point :D
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I think Sophie's and Rose's friendship seemed real. They met in a shop of a sport they both love. Sports bring many people together. Since fly fishing is not a common thing for women, seeing someone else of their gender enjoying the sport probably made them bond quicker.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I also think Rose and Sophie's friendship is the most believable due to the location of their meeting. Some of my best friends came from random meetings. They have been my rocks at times. We don't talk as much as we should unfortunately, but I believe that we meet everyone for a reason.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 21:33 I also think Rose and Sophie's friendship is the most believable due to the location of their meeting. Some of my best friends came from random meetings. They have been my rocks at times. We don't talk as much as we should unfortunately, but I believe that we meet everyone for a reason.
I agree Rose and Sophie's friendship is the most realistic as they met in a fly shop and already shared a love of the sport. I don't know how realistic it is that you would meet someone randomly (the way Sophie met Veronica and Amanda) and immediately invite them to go fly fishing. However, it's realistic that Veronina and Amanda, at separate times, accepted the invitation. Even though they were not necessarily interested in learning to fly fish, they were happy about getting away and having fun.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I actually had a great friendship start at a conference. I overheard the woman say that she just moved from out of state to an area where I work. I struck up a conversation and she asked me to call her to be friends. I did, our husbands thought we were crazy, and we've been friends ever since. I think it take a special kind of personality to do that kind of thing, but it can work!
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Yes the characters do become friends in rather random ways but i think that again is suggestive of how life is . Events in life are always random and predictable and therein lies its beauty.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 17:46 Yes the characters do become friends in rather random ways but i think that again is suggestive of how life is . Events in life are always random and predictable and therein lies its beauty.
So very true! I think it is important to recognize opportunities and grasp them. It is always easier to put in your earbuds or sleep on a plane. Holding a conversation with a stranger for the entire flight is an art form that takes effort but can have a wonderful reward. I think we insulate ourselves too much these days.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

YesYes..we insulate , don't move out of our comfort zone.As the book rightly says through fly fishing we need to b aware and adapt , learn and unlearn, make connections to enrich ourselves.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Some friendships made more sense than others. I could totally understand Sophie and Veronica bonding over a long flight and staying friends afterwards, but I found it really strange that Melody just fit right into the group as if she'd always been there. I don't know how she was that comfortable with four complete strangers.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't believe in coincidences. Some of my best friendships are with people I met randomly. The key is in nurturing the relationships. We all need friends.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:04 Some friendships made more sense than others. I could totally understand Sophie and Veronica bonding over a long flight and staying friends afterwards, but I found it really strange that Melody just fit right into the group as if she'd always been there. I don't know how she was that comfortable with four complete strangers.
I do think the author did a good job of capturing Melody's awkwardness when she was first introduced, but I think it was a small jump for her to stay behind with Rose and learn fly fishing when the others left. I related to Melody's loner personality and feel like she would've been far too shy and nervous to stay with a complete stranger for a few days to learn a sport she previously had no interest in. Just a nitpick though!

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”