What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Sarahiously
Bookshelf Size: 0

What can readers learn about friendship through this book?

Post by Sarahiously »

"The Reel Sisters" is about the power of friendship. Often, we can personally relate to the interactions between the different characters. What could you personally relate to? What lessons have you learned? Has this changed the way you see friendship? Why or why not?
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

This has changed my opinion on friendship. It makes me realize I need to put in more effort with the friends that I have. I think people can learn that it isn't the quantity of friends that you have, but the quality. I personally related to the way that a simple hobby bonded all these ladies.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I can personally relate to having strong friendships. I cannot imagine life without my friends. We laugh together, cry together and go through life together in a different way than I go through it with my husband. My husband and kids are the gold in my life; my friends are the silver.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have no sisters and am single and childless. So my girl friends mean a lot to me. They have given me much love and inspiration through my ups and downs. I only wish I have been as good a friend to them.

This book reminds me to be grateful for these wonderful friendships.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This book really makes me wish I had better relationships with the women in my life. I'm working to try to strengthen those relationships...I realize that friendships don't just happen, people must work on them and foster them like any other kind of relationship.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

That friends are as rare as a rare sport. Maybe that's why these friends are willing to reveal something about their unique personalities through the bonds they share.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Quinto wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 09:01 That friends are as rare as a rare sport. Maybe that's why these friends are willing to reveal something about their unique personalities through the bonds they share.
I really like how you created a parallel between the uniqueness of fly fishing and friendships.
LanieTaj
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanietaj.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by LanieTaj »

Friends are one of the precious things that I have on my life. I never know what my life would be without them. As I read this, i want to cherish all the moments with them.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

LanieTaj wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 03:44 Friends are one of the precious things that I have on my life. I never know what my life would be without them. As I read this, i want to cherish all the moments with them.
I completely agree with you. I adore my friends, and we all need to take better care to cherish and remember the great moments with them.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Friendship needs time and commitment, and if you find one person that you feel you can click with, don't let them go, no matter their age or occupation, it doesn't really matter. We should put in the effort because friendships is a beautiful thing.
Wealthman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wealthman »

I learned that friendship is peace :D
EveS523
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eves523.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by EveS523 »

I think it is imperative to have a core group of friends that you can completely rely on. People who will not judge you for your faults. Who will support you through hard times, laugh during happy times. This book really supports and emphasizes those friendships.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

The book taught me the need for female friendships in a patriarchal world to sustain and empower women. Very often in a patriarchal society women pull each other down and become instruments of gender stereotyping and discrimination. The book validates how our lives can be transformed by forming healthy constructive relationships with other women.

Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

We don't have to feel like we are obligated to be friends with others. Sometimes friendships get toxic because we cannot always be on the same page as humans. If a group of persons term themselves as friends, it is best to have a different common activity that makes them have to recollect again and share their love for, in this case fly fishing, and by the end of the day all the differences may be tackled beyond human weaknesses.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:41 The book taught me the need for female friendships in a patriarchal world to sustain and empower women. Very often in a patriarchal society women pull each other down and become instruments of gender stereotyping and discrimination. The book validates how our lives can be transformed by forming healthy constructive relationships with other women.
Based on your comments to this and other questions, would you elevate this book to the point of making it reading in a Woman's Studies course. You seem to have derived a lot of deep feminist meeting from this novel.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”