Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Spoiler Alert - How did you feel about the ending of the book?

Post by revna01 »

I think the author was touching upon many points with Amanda's ending. I believe it was intended to be thought-provoking; no matter how "put together" someone may appear, we never truly know how it feels to walk in their shoes. Amanda had reached the end of the proverbial rope and something had to give. She left without thinking better of it, never imagining the consequences. I don't believe she acted out of character. The very nature of having a character like Amanda is to showcase how complex and multi-faceted people really are.
jamertin2963
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamertin2963.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jamertin2963 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 06:44 I think the author was touching upon many points with Amanda's ending. I believe it was intended to be thought-provoking; no matter how "put together" someone may appear, we never truly know how it feels to walk in their shoes. Amanda had reached the end of the proverbial rope and something had to give. She left without thinking better of it, never imagining the consequences. I don't believe she acted out of character. The very nature of having a character like Amanda is to showcase how complex and multi-faceted people really are.
I agree; this is well-stated!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for saying so! People (and characters) tend to be boxed-in/limited by others' expectations of how they should be acting in any given situation. The characters I find most interesting in books are the ones I have difficulty pinning down-it keeps everything interesting :)
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

It was quite surprising and unexpected but I have to say that stress and anger can make anyone do something unexpected or even stupid. Many of us actually do that when we are stressed out to avoid a fight and cool down but in this book Amanda drove straight to her death. It was quite unlike her because previously in the book she had shown control and calmness.
Rameen Shahid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rameen-shahid.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Rameen Shahid »

Amanda storming away like that is her trying to breathe some air that she couldn't otherwise. Had she been "in character" like people thought of her, she wouldn't be feeling trapped and wouldn't be wanting to run away from it to breathe properly, but face it and fought it.
There is no such thing as "acting out of character" for what the world knows about you is just so infinitesimal as compared to what you know about yourself (well, obviously).
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

For the record, I had a really hard time deciding the fate of each character at the end of the book. I actually remember the exact spot I was standing when I decided Amanda's fate. I knew what the final scene in the river was, I just had to decide which characters would be present. It was like a bad game of eeny, meenie, miney mo! ~Michelle Cummings
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

michmc3 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 15:22 For the record, I had a really hard time deciding the fate of each character at the end of the book. I actually remember the exact spot I was standing when I decided Amanda's fate. I knew what the final scene in the river was, I just had to decide which characters would be present. It was like a bad game of eeny, meenie, miney mo! ~Michelle Cummings
Thanks for giving us your thoughts Michelle! and for the great book!
peace starts with a smile...
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Snowflake wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 12:05 Do you think Amanda was acting in character at the very end of the book?
I was truly surprised that death was the outcome. When dealing with Soldiers coming back from war, you must never assume that they will come back without some form of PTSD. It's hard on a family but with the proper help, they can be a family again.

Amanda was frustrated and hurt that he choose to go back to Afghanistan instead of stay with his family. Amanda is reacting like any married woman. She's hurt, angry and confused.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

It was more than a shock to me when a book I reviewed was rejected when a spoiler was detected. This was my first time and was a big lesson to me. Reviewers let's be alert not to become victims of spoilers.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I felt like she was acting a bit out of
character but thats normal sometimes we tend to over react.
Xancode
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

She was acting our of character, given her husband was out for most part of the book.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Sometimes the best way to deal with stress is to leave that environment. The storm going on inside her was greater than the one going on outside that's why she could go into the storm for a diaper. It was necessary to her.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Yes it is out of character for Amanda, but she had her reasons. Like most, I was dissatisfied with the ending but I can understand and relate (to some degree) with Amanda"s decision.
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html

Post by bobbiebryner »

I think it would seem as though she is out of character, but I know from experience that it is not always the case. My husband served in the army for several years. He was deployed to Iraq at the beginning of the war. During that time, I had our second son. When his unit was returning stateside, they asked for volunteers to remain in country during the transition between those that led the assault and those that would be occupying the area. My husband volunteered to stay behind. I was devastated. How could he not want to come home and see his son? Although on the outside I was the strong and caring wife and mother, I was falling apart inside. After he came home, he was different. His PTSD was so terrible, we all walked on eggshells around him. I remember he could make me so angry, and I would respond in ways I that I could not even imagine before. During one argument, I stormed out of the house leaving him and my children and walked several miles before I realized I had forgotten shoes. When you have to be strong for so long, it is dramatic when you finally break. I can see how and why this character responded the way she did. Of course, since I could empathize so much, I hated the ending.
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html

Post by bobbiebryner »

Jamasenu wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 21:56
Snowflake wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 12:05 Do you think Amanda was acting in character at the very end of the book?
I was truly surprised that death was the outcome. When dealing with Soldiers coming back from war, you must never assume that they will come back without some form of PTSD. It's hard on a family but with the proper help, they can be a family again.

Amanda was frustrated and hurt that he choose to go back to Afghanistan instead of stay with his family. Amanda is reacting like any married woman. She's hurt, angry and confused.
True words! I always thought that the hardest job was to be a military spouse. And then I became a veteran's spouse. It has taken us a long time, a lot of patience, a lot of healing, a ton of forgiveness, and a lot of loving support to persevere and remain a family.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”