Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Would the story have worked as well without fly fishing?

Post by Richard Whitehead »

Richard Whitehead wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:49
Richard Whitehead wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:48 Yes, it could have worked but tasteless
The fly fishing adds flavor to this story
It's the framework of this story
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

Richard Whitehead wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:48 Yes, it could have worked but tasteless
The fly fishing adds flavor to this story
It's the framework of this story
It can't be ignored
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I think fly fishing is merely the group activity that brings the women together - they could have bonded over any other group activity since I feel that it is the friendship and bonds form that is the strongest theme explored in the story.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I can't really tell but I know people make friend at anyplace. Friendship might have resulted without fly fishing.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Fly fishing was an activity that brought the women together. But i think the story would have worked without it if fhere was an alternative activity that brought the women together
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I think in books like this, something like the fly fishing is a kind of central pivot point around which the plot spins. While you could take it away, it would certainly be a different book then.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Yes, I personally think another hobby could have been used to replace fly fishing. However, some lessons learned from fly fishing practice such as patience and the like may not be contained in the new story. Also, with a different hobby, the new book may be less unique and appealing though the reverse could also result that is an even more interesting book.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

Sometimes the simplest of everyday things can bring out the best in a story. You'd be surprised how many women love to fish; so the fly fishing was a good touch.
SEG
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Kibetious wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 08:23
Vivianne Nat wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 06:32 I believe it would have worked differently though the thought of the fly fishing didn't really matter much. As what you guys said in previous posts, take the story of the characters out the book and land them on different place and their own stories would actually still be the same. It revolved around the idea of friendship hence i believed, it would still live on without the fly fishing thingy.
Nice point there. Taking their stories out and placing them in a different setting would for sure not change their story as long as they share a common interest or were capable of adapting to this setting.
Exactly. Plus, friends always have a thing in common which is why they usually come together. So whichever hobby or thing they get into, the story will still be as good as it is.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The fly fishing fitted well with the story, however there could have been other favorite past times as well like regular long walks in woods or something like that i guess
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 14:33 I personally feel the fly fishing sport has worked wonderfully for the story line. I cannot imagine the story without .It is not merely a passion that links all the characters but it also teaches them the skills to sustain and grow amidst the vicissitudes of life.Like the art of fly fishing the art of living too demands one to learn and unlearn , be aware and adapt, practice and persevere and above all to make connection and release. One can maybe substitute this metaphor with something else ..perhaps music or any other . But i feel its too perfect as it is to suggest a substitution.
I agree with you on this. The art of fly fishing teaches the characters a lot. Any other activity will have different strongpoints and might shape the storyline differently.
GKerr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkerr.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by GKerr »

I feel that although the fly fishing is a central theme to the narrative, I have to agree that the women's connections and relationships with each other is more important than the fishing itself. The fishing merely acts as a conduit for the friendships and could be, with some careful consideration, replaced with something else.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I'm not sure, but I believe, this book is first and foremost a story about fly fishing, with the act of friendship as an accompanying theme. So, I'm thinking the story works well to educate and encourage fly fishing as I agree with the remainder of your question and prospective.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Any sport or activity that could have brought the women together could have worked as well. I don't think there was any special aspect of fly fishing other than connecting them and causing them to spend time together.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

While it is true that the main theme of the book is friendship, the link between the characters is generated by fly fishing. In addition, the fact that this activity requires technique, patience, learning and an outdoor environment, generates a very particular atmosphere that gives a distinctive touch to the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”