Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Brandy C »

Analeigh wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 20:49
lori_parker2003 wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 09:26 Had trouble getting through the few pages they give to check out the book. Found it slow and I am a pro-gun person so this biased my view I think. Probably will not buy the book to read in full.
I did take the time to read this book and it definitely has left leaning themes and bias throughout the book. The author tends to villainize any gun owner.
I agree with you! Gun owners did seem to be villainized. The bias in this book is evident in every chapter. I also read the book and left a review. We are a pro-gun family but open-minded. With that being said, I did not like this book. I liked some of the characters but not the story. For me, it was too biased and plays on societies fears.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

As much as I enjoyed the overall story, I could only rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I feel that Flesher's style contains more telling than showing, and includes little comments that pull one out of the story. Like in the one love scene where he interjects his own thoughts...and talks about the man wearing socks. :roll:

I would recommend this book to people who like to read about current hot topic issues. Also, I think senior citizens would enjoy reading this book as the protagonists are in their age range and dealing with a lot of the same issues that real people deal with every day.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I recently reviewed this book and really loved it. I thought it touched on a lot of relevant issues in the USA currently and offered an interesting prospect of human good and evil. My favorite part of the book was the character dynamics and interactions, as I found them all to be quite likable and pleasant. However, I noticed several grammatical errors in the Kindle format of the book. Did anyone else encounter this problem? Because of the captivating plot and characters, but the unfortunate editing issues, I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend it.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I really loved this book. I think it touches on some important themes regarding both access to guns and the good/bad of humanity. A lot of us wonder when we will die, and this story presents a lot of different scenarios about choices we might make with this knowledge. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars because of the grammar errors, which were very unfortunate. Otherwise, I definitely recommend it to people who believe in gun reform.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Very thought provoking book. This book covers several topics including: school violence, gun control and race relations. It's not a masterpiece but a solid book.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

The storyline sounded so interesting and I was looking forward to reading the book. But I couldn't even get through 10 pages before I gave up. I hated the writing style.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I liked the book and gave it a 3 out of 4. I liked the fact the it brought light to a real issue through fiction. I didn’t like all the violence. I would recommend it to others. Even though it is fiction it shows how scary situations are that involve guns and people with unpredictable emotions.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

The Pro-gun isn't getting on well with me.
Still reading, but I hope i don't drop it.
I feel it's got so much to change my wrong perception about it before I finish it..
It's a 2 out of 4 stars rating for me.
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by VictorKE »

Having read the sample, I was embraced by the book. It's title,The Final Notice, really captured my attention.
Jessluvs2read3
Currently Reading: F*ck Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessluvs2read3.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Jessluvs2read3 »

I gave it a 3. I felt the book was entertaining enough to get through but not enjoyable enough to read the second book in the series. I liked the characters in the story and the premise of the VT2. I would love for something like this device to be created. I think it would help me and my family to live our best healthy life. However, the political views and agenda in the book kept me from fully enjoying it. Leaving out some of the political agenda would have left more room for the plot to become more developed. So much more could have been done to make this book a 4 if the focus was shifted slightly. :techie-studyingbrown:
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

poor me, i got the wrong copy but on the review, it sounds cool and superb
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I think it is a great book and I rated it four out of four stars. What I liked most about it is that it talks about real issues that Americans face. Issues like immigration and gun control stand out and the opinion of this author concerning these issues comes out clearly. I also liked the characters in the book, especially Vijay Patel and Vince and his family. They seem to be very likable characters and it was easy to relate to them. Overall, I would only hope there will be a third book in this series. The first book was Final Act.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

I just started reading this book and so far I am very intrigued. I cannot wait to get more into the book. I am looking forward to seeing how individuals deal with the device that tells them when they will die. I am not sure what I would do if I only had a few days left to live.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I got recommended this book by a family member. I liked the plot and the writing style. But I felt the story get bland too many times. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I liked the ideas presented in this book. The watch I felt was unique and hadn't been told before. I liked this book, but I felt that the number of political views that were put in the book left me feeling like I was trying to be swayed in a certain direction.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”