What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Technology like this terrifies me and amazes me daily. I do not believe I would like this type of technology to come to pass. I honestly would not want to know when i was going to die; I believe that would be something to come intuitively anyway.

I have often feared what really comes of scientific experiments. I understand they are performed to understand or solve a problem, for the greater good. The by-products and different understandings that come about could easily be abused to do great harm to a large amount of people. Much more damage than say one person knowing they are close to the end of their life could possibly do. Such as gun control and the mentally ill debate happening in the world.

The statistics of mentally ill in America and in the world continue to grow. Media points the fingers at diet and other issues that can be controlled by the individual, while scientific studies show that people will become depressed if their environment is not suiting to their interests or is unhealthy. Governments control our societies and our society is our environment. If over half of Americans are mentally ill, there is something wrong with our environment. Gun control wouldn't be much of a problem if we lived in a society with less corruption and bureaucracy and more positive, helpful action towards its citizens.

It is interesting that in this case the science is used to help others not have to feel the shock of losing someone, allowing them time to respectfully end their life. I wonder what sanctions the people will face after a few people do something really crazy to prove a point or try and create change... scary to wonder.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

There are times when doctors give patients a short time to live and instead, they beat the odds and live longer than anticipated. The tech would have to be very accurate to move people to 'keep their household in order' before passing on. That would be the only advantage, I think.
SheltraB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SheltraB »

Where its is a medical device as here in this book or a psychic the question dosent change. First ask your self what is life and living. Life is to wake up and breath in the existence of the unknown. To open your mind and soul to all posiblities unkowing what the out come would be. Like a book each page differnt from the next but you read on to know the unexoected, the plot twits. To finally he to the end not known what it is. Would it be living if you knew what and when your end was. Would you still live your life as you did before. The same path you were ment to follow? Or would your book become a list. This you and to do and things you want to see? Would it have little boxes to check once completed so you can move on to the next? Or would you live life like you did yesterday? Yo wake up and step into the unknown, no list, not boxes to check off? As humans we have the inate urge to "complete" . The I want to or I have to do this urges. BUT! Do you ?? Were you really meant to? Knowing a time line and planning is not living. Blindly going through each day simply living to live not not living to die..... That is a life regardless of its end.
SheltraB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SheltraB »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:40 I believe a major purpose of life is the choices we make and the experiences we have as a result of them. These choices are important, both to complete our own karmic lessons and also to help complete the collective experiences that form the Universe itself. I think knowing when we would die would interfere with that process of choice and experience. So, no, I wouldn't want to know when I was going to die, even if it was only a week ahead of time. I might change something in that last week that would alter the path I might have otherwise taken without that information.
I agree its not living if you plan your day like your going to die.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

I understand both sides of the coin. I believe it just depends on what type of person you are. But I also think that if you did know, even those that seem comfortable with it and would want to know, then there would be too much focus on that one event. The whole purpose of life is to live it to the fullest, be thankful for what we have, and always strive for your dreams or goals. If we have knowledge of the future, we would act differently and then we would be changing the past that could affect the future of others. I know technology advancement is inevitable, but this slightly old dog is content with learning as I go, no going with knowing. We all die. We only have to do one thing in this life. We have to die so why focus on it before it happens. Silly ramblings but mine. :) I enjoyed all the different comments here. Good conversation. Thanks.
Genna H
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genna-h.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Genna H »

I don't think it's a good idea and I wouldn't want to know. I loved the diagnostics aspect of the VT2 (my sister recently spent over a month in the hospital trying to get a diagnosis), but the Final Notice would be going too far.
The human race isn't morally upright enough to be entrusted with that information. The book is accurate in that - there would inevitably be some who would use that knowledge to cause harm to others... with or without a gun.
RLDunnAuthor
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by RLDunnAuthor »

Personally, having been given a three month window of my impending death, I proved there is no expiration date on my foot. Personally, I wouldn't want the scientific certainty.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

SPasciuti wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 12:59 This is a huge theme in the book and it’s one that has been addressed in a number of other books as well. This is the first time I’ve been introduced to a book that addresses it alongside the conversation of gun control, but I was wondering what you think about this potential technology?

Is it a good idea? Would you want to know? How do you feel about science being able to predict something like this? Would you want scientists to release this information if they ever do learn how to get it?
I actually read an article about how there is an Artificial Intelligence being developed by Stanford University that can predict if persons are going to die in about a year or so depending on some factors - don't know much detail on this but I have thought plenty of the benefits of knowing when you will die. I can live life carelessly and be like. "Hey, no worries, this truck can't possibly kill me cause my time has not yet come." However, I think it is best for all of us that we don't know when we are going.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

The concept of being aware of one's own death is a complicated one. For the individual, they would be motivated to push towards any goals they may have had. Unfortunately, these goals and last minute emotions are not always things we want to see acted upon. Humans are animals by nature, and desperate times call for desperate measures.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

No thanks! I try to enjoy each day as it comes and live it in a healthy and fruitful way, and I'd hate that knowing when my demise would be would change me that drastically. We are all going at some stage so we know it's inevitable. Why waste any day at all?
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

There is a beauty of not knowing when you would die, after all it is better to stick to the old ways but then it depends on the person. As for me every morning when I wake I say: today I am going to die, so I try to finish my work within the day.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
akoth melisa
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by akoth melisa »

sincerely technology is at the realms of man`s survival, when it comes to this, i totally disagree because it instills fear in me.knowing when i will die,this is too much for science.let it not be released
Shola0706
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shola0706.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shola0706 »

I'd definitely love to know when I would die, first for the sake of knowing, and secondly maybe because I'm not scared of dying or what would happen afterwards. I think it might make me proud. Those who know me should feel lucky they met me and they better show me all the love/hate for the period we would be together. I think I'd also live life more cautiously making sure I'm not going to regret any done or undone deeds.
Ebehar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebehar.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ebehar »

cascal312 wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 08:13 I think that this kind of technology would be a huge issue. I personally would never want to know the exact time of my death, because I couldn’t handle the fact that there is absolutely nothing I could do to change it. What if I found out that I was going to die tomorrow? I’d be in a full blown panic, trying desperately to fit in an entire lifetimes worth of experiences before the deadline. With this kind of knowledge, myself and others would become completely unpredictable: making the world as we known it a very dangerous place.
This is always a fun/ interesting hypothetical question to think about. With the advent of doctor assisted suicides, maybe it can be a comfort? Personally, I think the major issue would be how much "notice" I was given- cause what I would do with a day left is much different than what I would do with a month left!
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I'd like to know when I'll die because I'll be able to finalise things and then chill while I wait for the big day.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”