Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by elizab8 »

Final Notice by Van Fleisher, the book of day for June 2, 2018. I have download and read the short story and found it very interesting but as a senior citizen it made me feel a sense of remorse. The first two chapters were okay even though there were some sad moments within my reading. I liked the character Vince and Trudi Fullers, they made me wanting to read more of the story. The story of the lonely sole who shot and killed 6 seniors and was eventually killed all on account of loneliness; turn me off, he could of seek help, before committing such a hideous crime. Next, I did not enjoy reading about Dr.ViJay invention of the "Final Notice" time piece that checks patients hemoglobin, and warns them that their time is up. Unfortunately, two patients committed suicide. To my assumption those patients instead of calling or going to the ER for help, panicked and later shot and killed themselves. I would recommend this book but not to seniors who are facing a depression. For myself I don't think I want to read the full story.
Sefiros2211
Favorite Book: Eye of the World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sefiros2211.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Sefiros2211 »

When I think of old age, I think of worlds collapsing. Your once vital body, able to do amazing things with ease, starts to betray you. You get knocked down by a breeze, and you are no longer a worthwhile person. You are old. You are weak. And it's snuck up on you completely.

Vince embodies this. He is desperate to maintain his sense of worth, and so he turns to guns. Nobody screws around with an armed man. It's that edge to survive the battle that is life. I can sense that desperation. It's in Vince, and all the other people who learned they're on death's door. That's the true theme of the book.
Lmaggymae58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Lmaggymae58 »

Just started so there isn't too much to say. Seems like a good book hopefully it gets better
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

I read the sample of this action thriller. In this, a group of renowned doctors created a watch to monitor human health and vital signs. This watch also predicts the exact date of death of the person to whom it is connected. I believe, the date of death should be a suspense. Otherwise, the person who knows his date of death may stop living his normal life once the date approaches.

I always want the authorities to have strict control over gun licence. Guns should not be misused. I believe, while giving gun licence to old people, the authorities should ascertain the pros and cons of it. Gun possession should not be a reason for destruction.

I liked the characters Vince and Trudy, their conversations about senior citizens having gun licence. Because I am not fond of the theme itself, it is not my kind of the novel.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I felt like the idea was a bit cliché. The prediction of someone's life span and how they'll react now that they know how long until their death comes isn't that creative in my opinion. But, the reviews say otherwise, so I think I'll give it a shot since I am a sucker for action thriller books.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

At first, I didn't think I would like it because of the gun topic. I liked the thought process of Vince more than anything. The idea of knowing when you'll die is also interesting in spite of the many challenges that come with it. However, the issue of guns to the senior citizens was really something that I think I can never like a bit no matter the circumstances. I can recommend this book to my friends so that we can talk about; ''What would you do if you know the day you'll die''. I would love to know how that conversation will go.
Lilianrmccarthy3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianrmccarthy3.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by Lilianrmccarthy3 »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 10:36 I am still reading this book, but it seems well written so far. Parts of it are biased, but that was something I expected after reading the note from the author and the description.
I do believe in the right to bear arms, but I am reading with an open mind. So far I have not come across anything that would potentially keep me from finishing the book. I hope to visit this forum topic again to give more of my opinion.
I think this is a great way to approach this book!
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Lilianrmccarthy3 wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 09:43
Christina Rose wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 10:36 I am still reading this book, but it seems well written so far. Parts of it are biased, but that was something I expected after reading the note from the author and the description.
I do believe in the right to bear arms, but I am reading with an open mind. So far I have not come across anything that would potentially keep me from finishing the book. I hope to visit this forum topic again to give more of my opinion.
I think this is a great way to approach this book!
Thank you! I did end up enjoying the book. The author touched on a lot of controversial topics.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I am all for guns, but I don't know how I feel about knowing when I would die. Seems like a SyFy thing. Probably wouldn't read the book.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I found the writing style well done and the characters well fleshed out. The only thing I didn't like was the two parts where the author breaks the fourth wall and directly addresses the reader. I found it extremely distracting. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend though.
mirrie kim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mirrie kim »

just had some trouble understanding some concepts but the story is just fine
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

While the sample didnt impress ne nuch the premise of the book sounds interesting enough to keep my attention. Im very pro gun though and more right than left so that leaves me wondering if ill be able to relate much to the political views in the book. All in all ill rate it a 2/4 untill i can read it to the end for the above reasons.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

I recently read and reviewed this book. While I found it interesting the style was a bit distracting and the political overtones were not great. The message of the book is good, but I can see why some people would be turned off by it.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

chupke07 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:06 I recently read and reviewed this book. While I found it interesting the style was a bit distracting and the political overtones were not great. The message of the book is good, but I can see why some people would be turned off by it.
The political views are extreme left correct?
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

anwidmer wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:09
chupke07 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:06 I recently read and reviewed this book. While I found it interesting the style was a bit distracting and the political overtones were not great. The message of the book is good, but I can see why some people would be turned off by it.
The political views are extreme left correct?
They are, which is fine by me personally, but it turns off an entire group of people from being able to see the point of the book. There is no good point to preaching about something to people who already agree with you.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”