Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by anwidmer »

chupke07 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:15
anwidmer wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:09
chupke07 wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 11:06 I recently read and reviewed this book. While I found it interesting the style was a bit distracting and the political overtones were not great. The message of the book is good, but I can see why some people would be turned off by it.
The political views are extreme left correct?
They are, which is fine by me personally, but it turns off an entire group of people from being able to see the point of the book. There is no good point to preaching about something to people who already agree with you.
That was my though exactly. If it had a bit more middle ground it would be much more appealing to me. Im interested in giving it a shot but turned off by the extreme left view as like you said, most right wing persons probably are.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

I would suggest giving it a shot, but be warned you may not like it. The story is interesting and the characters are likeable, but it is heavily political.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

For me, Final Notice by Van Fleisher was a very interesting novel. I enjoyed the narrative style in particular, largely because the author made the conscious choice not to confine the narrative to the main character, Vince. Instead, he used a third person narrator, which allowed for many different characters' voices to be heard. That said, I was disappointed that the author didn't use this as an opportunity to illuminate all sides of the gun control debate by making at least one of the main characters a supporter of gun rights. By providing almost entirely "liberal" narrators, I feel as though he severely limited the amount of potential readers he could have received from a more "conservative" audience.

However, overall, I rated this book a 3 out of 4 because I truly did enjoy reading it, apart from a few minor structural flaws.
cpedley
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpedley.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by cpedley »

I found this book to be extremely easy to read. It was clear what was happening and what each character felt and to engage in their lives. To be honest, the more I think about the book the more I see it to be more as a discussion of guns, but also an exploration of perspectives. Different people and experiences are included.
I love the concept of time and if we should know it’s near the end of lives or not. There are pros and cons of that, just as there are with guns. Maybe there is a reflection or analogy happening there!
I would read this in full just to see what happens with everyone and how they decide to use their last week.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I enjoyed Final Notice. I give it a perfect score. I loved everything about except the assumption it made that white people never encounter police brutality.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Overall, well written and had some new and interesting ideas. It was worth a read and I look forward to writing a longer and more in-depth review. I really liked the idea of learning when you die and the main characters were great.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I just downloaded this book. I'm excited to read it after checking out the reviews on here and also on Twitter. I think it will be something different than what I usually reading. I'm not sure if I would want to receive my own final notice or not, but I can't picture going after the ones who have sent the notice to me.
Mac :techie-reference:
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

I felt that this novel pointed out several important issues in the United States, however, the actual discussion of these issues felt extremely biased. I would have liked a deeper exploration of how many different people would react to a "final notice," rather than such a heavy focus only on those who resort to violence.
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Calypso Terrier »

"Final Notice" has very interesting ideas. There is a strong bias on gun control and the right to bear arms, and it may not be good for all people to read. I enjoy how this book is very thrilling every step of the way.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I am close to finishing this book. At first, I struggled to really get into it. As I've gotten further along I'm finding the pace of the story to be better, but I don't like all the jumping around as new characters and storylines are introduced. Having read the reviews, I know that all the storylines are going to circle back to the topic of the actual final notice, but if I had read the book without the reviews I would be highly frustrated with so much bouncing back and forth.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I gave this book a 3 out of 4 stars when I reviewed it. I really liked the book overall. It was great to see the author tackle so many mature topics. I also liked its relevance to today's issues. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect rating is because of the times that Fleisher told what was going on instead of showing it. I felt like that slowed down the plot a bit.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the dialogue between Vince and Trudi. I was not a fan of pushing guns into the hands of senior citizens. I thought the watch was unique part of the book as well.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. Half of the book was plot, so I gave it half of a full rating. The other half of the book was politically correct preaching. I admire that the author wants to make a point about some of the many, many wrong things in our world. However, I felt that those points could have been made through characters and plot in a more subtle way than was done.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
DandMMothers
Currently Reading: King Donald Khrump
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dandmmothers.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by DandMMothers »

From the official review and synopsis of this novel, I have decided to do a review of my own. It has my attention and I hope it lives up to my standards. I'll update on if i like the book or not.
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

I read this book when it first came out! I loved the heavy gun ownership topic and how people choose to use it. After all, what would you do if you have a choice between death or killing others? You know when you will die. It's such a great concept and the author delivered it in a fantastic way.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”