Did your views on guns change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
BookWild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwild.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Did your views on guns change?

Post by BookWild »

My views on gun control did not change from reading this book. I don't think changing people's minds on gun control was a goal of the author, but rather to at least get people talking and thinking about the issue.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

My views on guns have not changed. I do not think that they should be banned, however, people should take more responsibility and report the mentally unfit people who should not be able to own a gun.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I still think that everyone handling a gun should go through a background check. Therefore, my views haven't really changed. Stricter regulations should be placed on guns.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Since the book never seeks to be impartial in the matter, I doubt that many people will change their opinion on this issue. I'm not the exception. There must be a stronger regulatory framework around who can possess firearms. Having such a deadly instrument requires a level of responsibility that many are not able to assume...
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

My views on guns didn't change, but this book did cause me to think about aspects of guns in society that I had not previously considered.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

My views absolutely haven't changed. If anything, the conviction that guns are never the answer have only been strengthened by the events that took place in this book. Fleisher's argument about there being stricter regulations concerning guns and their control, seeing as how gun ownership will never be completely eradicated, only echoed my thoughts on the matter.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

My view on guns are still the same, it's a weapon which should be handed over to those who can be responsible for it and thereby protect others. For example the military personnel and police.

Allowing everyone have access to guns without strict laws will cause total chaos as we see in the news today.
Booklover128
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover128.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Booklover128 »

n-dai che wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:04
See_B00kReaDs wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:16
n-dai che wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 20:19 Guns also helps the country for defense, but if it is used for the wrong reasons, it seems sad.
Guns should only be used by those in authority. Sadly, so many people today can easily acquire guns.
You are exactly correct! I guess terrorism had the most guns and weapons than those who have a good purpose of owning it.
Hi, does that mean you would want to alter the second Amendment? As far as I understand it any American should be able to bear arms over the age limit of 18? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong as I'm not an expert on the subject or an American but I was just curious from an outsider's perspective :)
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Definitely not changed. I still don't think they should be freely allowed to be kept in your home. Here in the UK you can't, and so you don't get them being misused. They are dangerous without proper knowledge of them.
kennedibmth
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedibmth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by kennedibmth »

Ive always strongly believed in gun control and this book only reinforced by belief that we are better off without them.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

My views did not change. I always thought that fewer guns meant more safety and I still think that way. This was portrayed beautifully in the book. How things could spiral out of control was envisioned.
AnitaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by AnitaM »

My views have not changed, but the book did make me think about it in a new way, particularly in relation to older citizens. I think guns are always dangerous and should be tightly controlled and regulated as much as possible.
alfred mbithi kioko
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alfred mbithi kioko »

Absolutely not really changed,guns exercise safety at the same time can cause trouble in not well handled.Despite any country one is ,there are laws that govern the firearm owners
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

My views on guns didn't really change. The book enlightened me more about guns but I still think they shouldn't be given to just anyone who applies for a license to own a gun. I think proper checks should be done on everyone before they get guns. They should conduct proper psych evaluations before letting anyone own a gun.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I was in a dilemma about the use of guns before reading the book. After reading the book, I am still unable to find answers.
Gun use by law enforcement divisions is one thing, because they are properly trained and hold responsibility for their actions, while guns in hands of common people without proper training is just a disaster waiting to happen!
I personally never like the idea of having to carry or even use a gun. But then again, commenting here is one thing, and being attacked and not being able to defend is quite another thing. But even if we need guns for self defence, I think we should be trained to handle it, and should carefully think about the repercussions of using it.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”