The Final Notice Option

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

The Final Notice Option

Post by Christina Rose »

A sports watch has been developed by Dr. Vijay Patel that could measure, analyze, diagnose, and predict complex health issues. Dr. Patel has also developed a “Final Notice” option that advises the user of certain death within a user-selected number of days. Is this an option that you would consider for your own sports watch? Do you feel like it was wrong to include the Final Notice option in the original test group for this watch?
brunettebiblio
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brunettebiblio.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by brunettebiblio »

I think I would want to know. Then again, maybe I wouldn't. It's so hard to say! I definitely wouldn't want more than a few days notice though...I would worry too much. A few days would give me enough time to do a few last bucket list items and say my goodbyes without giving me time to dwell on it or get depressed, I think.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I would absolutely not! My personal reasons being that I believe in living every day like it’s quite possibly my last. If some device was supposed to tell me when I had only a short time left, it would be easy to slip into a mindset of thinking I have time until otherwise notified, when that might not be true, and that would mean wasting today, potentially neglecting the work God has for me because I’m assuming I will still be here tomorrow.

That said, I wouldn’t wear a smart watch anyway. I had a fitness tracker briefly but tossed it over radiation concerns that nobody could ever talk me out of. I just don’t want any device that can receive or transmit information continually remaining within 3ft of my body.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I found the idea of the Final Notice really frightening. Also, even with all the dramatic advances in technology, I doubt anything could actually accurately predict how much time you had to live. How does it work if a terminally ill person meets with an accident? And I personally feel it would be very depressing to be told something like that- human beings are in general very hopeful creatures-hope gives us strength to keep going against all odds, and it would be almost cruel to be told there is no point and your time is up!
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I’d like to say that I would opt out of the “final notice” option, but I know that my curiosity would force me to opt in.
If the technology is available it should definitely be available to test groups.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

I would really want to know. We all forget to live life to the fullest sometimes. Living the life of one's dreams, going on road trips, having fun experiences and many other things one would love to do and never getting the chance. A final notice is certainly not a bad idea.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would never consider having a watch tell me how long I had left. What about the possibility of backing? That's definitely a possibility in this day and age. Then you really weren't supposed to die.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Manali_DC wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 11:11 I found the idea of the Final Notice really frightening. Also, even with all the dramatic advances in technology, I doubt anything could actually accurately predict how much time you had to live. How does it work if a terminally ill person meets with an accident? And I personally feel it would be very depressing to be told something like that- human beings are in general very hopeful creatures-hope gives us strength to keep going against all odds, and it would be almost cruel to be told there is no point and your time is up!
I find it frightening as well, and cruel. You're right about hope giving us strength to go on. I've known several people who were diagnosed with life-threatening illnesses, and lived productive lives long after. Hope and strength had a lot to do with that.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

I would not want the option on my watch. But it is wrong to include this option period. Think about it. How do doctors discuss when results show a person has cancer, especially terminal cancer? The patient doesn't receive a phone call, they go to the office. There is protocol because of the psyche. So, to receive a message like that from a watch and not know how to process it is dangerous.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

brunettebiblio wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:28 I think I would want to know. Then again, maybe I wouldn't. It's so hard to say! I definitely wouldn't want more than a few days notice though...I would worry too much. A few days would give me enough time to do a few last bucket list items and say my goodbyes without giving me time to dwell on it or get depressed, I think.
I totally see your point on this. Curious what you would think if the final notice option actually sends the message to your doctor so they could tell you rather then you getting it yourself. Kind of how doctors give you test results.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I would never opt for a watch like that my reasons being not wanting to feel anxious about what I did or didn't do. We're given one life to live to the fullest until the clock runs out. I'm okay with that.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I found the idea of a Final Notice too frightening to want in my own watch. I wear the Garmin branded version of the FitBit now, and I've seen how easy it is to manipulate that. It has a pulse monitor and if I move my arm a certain way, it reads like I have no heart beat when really I'm just resting my wrist against the arm of a chair. How many ways could a final notice go wrong?
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

I thought this concept was really fascinating and made me interested in reading how users would react. I feel like ultimately I would want to know, because knowing won't make it happen faster/slower but it would affect my decisions on how I would spend my last days.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I don't think I would want that on my watch. I would be dreading seeing it pop up one day knowing I would die soon after. Others might like it, but I wouldn't recommend it since it might change how some people behave once they get the notice.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think I would want that to prepare myself and my loved ones. Also, such an option could lessen the anxiety of the user. But who would really want to be reminded that they only have, three of five days to live? and on their freaking watch?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”