How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Re: How do we allow scientific innovation without ruining the world?

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I think we should try to scientifically advance in the things that matter, not weapons or worse, nuclear weapons. Even phones are good enough, they can't do all the things in our place. The science world should think about what we can do now to help nature and maybe see other planets. Something that leads somewhere safe.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 09:28 As your post indicates, the ethical considerations about these innovations are complicated. As are the considerations about gun control. I'm one who thinks that reasonable controls are a good idea but not a complete answer. I think the only true answer comes when we can begin to develop more empathy for our fellow human beings. I think we could change the dynamics of many societal issues, including the two mentioned here, if we could begin to act from one simple, yet difficult premise: what we do to others, we do to ourselves.

I so agree with you. It's up to us to decide to use technological inventions to do good.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I think advances in technology are important and can truly benefit mankind as a whole. I do believe that we have to be careful with it though and try to curb misuse of it somehow it it will be the end of us all. Be it the technology taking over or us using it against each other.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

Despite its bad tendencies, innovation also does so much good. I think any advancement will have its benefits and consequences, it's just a matter of deciding if it's worth it. I don't think it will necessarily ruin the world, but I do think there needs to be more transparency with these innovations. The public knows very little of what goes on behind closed doors in the corporations and institutions that are making such innovations. I think efforts and profits and plans need to be known by people in society which could help lessen corruption or backlash. I think these innovations are so important though and they shouldn't slow down, especially in the medical field.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Every scientific innovation comes with a negative side. There's no free cake. Lets be careful of the various innovations
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I think it is all a balancing act. The topic that always comes to my mind when thinking about the ethics of scientific innovation is genetic engineering. With all the genetic research taking place, it is not that far fetched of an idea that we could be able to manipulate genetic characteristics to produce genetically enhanced humans. But this would probably be very expensive and only affordable for the very rich. We already have social issues caused by the dichotomy between the rich and poor, and adding genetic engineering in the mix would drastically worsen the issue.

So what do we do to balance innovation and ethics? I think it is hard to answer the question without being immediately confronted by the situation. If we do make an AI, we will have to see how it reacts and go from there. We can't know until we know!
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

Most of the innovations are actually to help and improve lives of the people. The sad thing is how people use it for the wrong reasons. I think the best thing innovators can do is implementing guidelines and restrictions. The problem is that there will come a point that it would be difficult to control on how people will use it. Despite that, this should not be a reason to limit innovations. Because most of the time, these innovations are helpful rather than destructive. But it would be a different case if the effect is reversed. This is a difficult topic because of the ethics involved.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people. -Karl Marx
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Ana_Saints
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading: How to Dance with the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-saints.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Ana_Saints »

This is one of my professors told us during a Science class and this is one of the things that I will keep in my mind. Science specifically technology is good in fact really good, it is we, the people, who are bad. It is really up to us how to accept and use innovations of Science. It is our evil thoughts and doings that made technology lead us to devastating journeys.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

By setting rules and guidelines to be followed. If not followed, the said innovation or item should be banned. This will make people to be more careful. People should also not let emotions to control them. Some of the killings discussed in the book were done by people whom I presume to not be in the mental capacity to decide what was right. But then everything has an advantage and a disadvantage.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

I might sound a bit off- topic but I perceive this as a trending in technology, depending on how you view it.
Every scientific innovation has its good and bad sides. It all depends on how you handle and use the innovations here. Come to think of it, guns are wise to use, that's why they were innovated in the first place, but mankind tend to use the same profitable innovation for the destruction of mankind and other animals.
I think it's a basis of common sense here, in over to avoid ruining the world, human nature is should be more dorminant of a factor than thirst and greed for Fame and anything else.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

Bluecobia wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 16:55 I agree that technology can and will be used for both bad and good. It seems to be human nature. Some people try to do evil when ever they can . Technology is just another tool for them to use.
True. I don’t believe technology should be blamed for people’s evil deeds.
It is human nature to invent and innovate, as such the people who carry out destructive acts will just find another means of doing so.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I think there definitely has to be some guidelines around how technology is utilised and developed. We've seen the law adapt to include new technologies, however often it is very slow to do so. I think it is both interesting and somewhat terrifying to wonder whether governments will be able or even willing to protect us at a fast enough pace to prevent some of the possible dangers associated with technological development
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I think that innovation is a good thing. However, in recent years, there have been more books and novels warning of the "dangers" of new technology. I think that innovation should be allowed to continue, but I feel that guidelines should be established to try and avoid the "secret project that goes wrong and the world gets overrun" scenario. Innovation isn't unethical; innovation with no guidelines or standards can lead to very unethical behaviors and results that could ultimately destroy humanity.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Technology is often moving faster than the ability of the law to keep up. What is legal in one country (eg. sex selection of embryos in the womb in America) is totally illegal in others (Australia, except where one sex may be known to be at risk of inheriting a genetic disorder). Medical tourists regularly travel to countries like India, China etc to have procedures illegal in the US. How can one draw a line when all someone with enough money has to do is jump on a plane?

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”