What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by bclayton13 »

This is such a hard question. My emotional side says I don't, it would be too awful. But I also think that it would be good to get that advance notice, so I can get everything in order and party like there's no tomorrow, like some characters in the book did. (Well at least they got their affairs in order)
shane master
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shane master »

knowing the exact date of when you will die gives a chance of think what should i do before kicking the bucket ,but on the other side when it reaches about 5 minutes to die it be like you need nothing else in life even if your crush asks you out......really amazing but disturbing too :wink:
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Abiba Alice wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 10:32 No, I personally think it would stress me out. Instead of enjoying life, I would be counting down days and wondering how I would go down :D :snooty:
Lol dame here for sure!
burhan patel

Post by burhan patel »

If I know when I'll die , first of all I will start doing good deeds , then I will ask to those people to forgive me who were hurt by me and then I will say sorry to my God who created me
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

I don't think science would be able to achieve finding out something like this unless they were using purely biological factors and excluding accidents, violence, etc. I think, if it does somehow become possible though, I'd want to know. I'd like to be able to save, travel, have a family according to that information. I'm a big planner, so I like to know as much ahead of time as possible.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Does my insurance company also know? Honestly, one of the best benefits would be adding tons of life insurance to myself the month before I die...my family would be swimming in cash and hopefully be able to live debt free.

I think I would want to know so I could plan and I know that if I knew I could know but didn't know then it would bother me even more.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

ahmaria wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 20:04 I don't think science would be able to achieve finding out something like this unless they were using purely biological factors and excluding accidents, violence, etc. I think, if it does somehow become possible though, I'd want to know. I'd like to be able to save, travel, have a family according to that information. I'm a big planner, so I like to know as much ahead of time as possible.
I would feel this way if the timeframe given was lengthy. However if given only a week or so id feel panicked with not enough time to do what i want to before that last day.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I would definitely not want to know when I was going to die. I feel like if I knew it would make my time feel so much shorter and I would try and cram as much into my last days as possible instead of just spending time with my loved ones organically.
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

I was talking to someone else about this idea recently and we started discussing Freddie Mercury. He is an iconic rock and roll figure who knew he had a life threatening illness and that his days were numbered. He achieved a lot with the band Queen in a rather short amount of time. Perhaps it was the fact that he knew he would soon die that pushed him to reach his furthest corners and create something he wouldn't have without that knowledge. Maybe we wouldn't have that music today if he hadn't had a reason to push himself so hard
cjada911
Favorite Book: Something Wonderful
Currently Reading: The Long Way Home
Bookshelf Size: 59

Post by cjada911 »

Paranoia
[par-uh-noi-uh]
An unrealistic distrust of others or a feeling of being persecuted.

I am legitimately paranoid or "scary" as my mom likes to call it. The very thought of knowing when I'm going to die is absolutely horrifying. Not necessarily because of my paranoia. In actuality, knowing would make most people less paranoid. Instead, the problem is that I would start seeing myself as a ticking time bomb, just a number of days to satisfy a bucket list. I'm not the bucket list type of person. I'm the type that takes it day by day and lets things happen as they happen. I don't want an insurmountable weight on my decisions. I don't want to feel that pressure to do this or that because turns out I'm only going to be on this earth 3 more years. The type of things I want to have experienced before my death can't be found on a typical bucket list because they can't be planned. They are the epitome of spontaneity. As for the science behind being able to know how we're going to die, I think it's awesome that humans have advanced so much. I just think it's enough to know you can know if you truly want to. Y'all, I don't want to.

P.S. I have no clue why she says scary instead of scared, so please don't ask. I am just as confused as you are. :eusa-think: :lol2:
kabuusu allan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kabuusu allan »

well it has never crossed my mind, and let me stay as i am, it scares
RichardHaight
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Unbound Soul

Post by RichardHaight »

Thank you for the interesting question. I suppose the answer depends entirely on the level of fear and meaning associated with the idea of death and the degree to which the individual feels that they have not done the things that they feel are meaningful in life. It seems to me, that the more I live in a deeply meaningful manner (meaningful by my sense or definition - not the definition of others), the more at ease with death I am. I'm not sure that knowing the date and time of my death would make much difference at all, as I am already living in a way that's deeply meaningful. I might just do everything the same if knew my specific time of death as I would if I didn't know. Of course, as I don't know the specific time, there is no way I can be sure of what my real reaction would be if I knew the time of my upcoming death.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

If this type of technology was available, I think I would pretty much inherently want to know when I would die. That way, I could organize all of the legal stuff surrounding my death and say goodbye to my loved ones. However, I do not necessarily think that knowing my day or time of death would be a good thing. Even if I did not set out with malicious intent, I could still cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. For instance, one of the main reasons laws are so effective is that people fear punishment. Take away that fear, and it would seem permissible for me to commit some sort of minor crime, like steal a Lamborghini for one final joy ride. On its own, my action wouldn't be that big of a deal, but with the average 150,000 people who die every day, the world would be chaos. In other words, I would love to know when I will die, but it is not necessarily in the best interest of everyone to do so, meaning that scientists do not inherently have a responsibility to warn us, even if they could accurately predict our deaths.
2Flower
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: Nation
Bookshelf Size: 260
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by 2Flower »

Frankly, I'm still not OK with the fact that I AM going to die.

If I were a practical person I guess a few days notice would be nice. I could get my laundry done, tidy up and spend time with loved ones. I'd hate to leave a message behind. Come to think of it though I should probably be doing that stuff anyways.
Damaris Juliet
Favorite Book: The Book of Joy
Currently Reading: One Way or Another (The Sisters Quartet)
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damaris-juliet.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Damaris Juliet »

I think it is not a good idea,as for me I wouldn't like to know when I will die,I will just start limiting myself knowing that I will die very soon.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”