How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Post by JessNWheeler »

Should the NRA have taken any responsibility for the tragic events presented in this book? Consider the organization’s media appearances and the discounts the NRA was offering. How were the NRA leaders and members portrayed in this book?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I haven't read this work yet. However, from the reviews I have looked at, it would appear that the author argues in favor of gun control, which would put the book in a positon directly opposite the NRA. While I haven't read the book, I am very familiar with the NRA's views and actions. I would argue that the NRA definitely has some responsibility for mass shootings, by adamantly opposing any and all gun controls. Although I would also argue that the societal issues that result in mass shootings go a lot deeper than the efforts of the NRA.

A brief primer about the NRA for anyone who isn't familiar with them. In 2015, the last year for which I could find online their required annual reporting, their revenue was almost $400 million. In the world of non-profit organizations, that makes them a very large one indeed. They are organized as a 501(c)4 non-profit, which designates them as a "social welfare" organization. Personally, I find this designation ironic, given their activities. However, I would imagine that their members feel that the organization's stated mission to "protect" the constitution, particularly regarding the second amendment, would meet the standard of promoting social welfare.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 10:52 I haven't read this work yet. However, from the reviews I have looked at, it would appear that the author argues in favor of gun control, which would put the book in a positon directly opposite the NRA. While I haven't read the book, I am very familiar with the NRA's views and actions. I would argue that the NRA definitely has some responsibility for mass shootings, by adamantly opposing any and all gun controls. Although I would also argue that the societal issues that result in mass shootings go a lot deeper than the efforts of the NRA.

A brief primer about the NRA for anyone who isn't familiar with them. In 2015, the last year for which I could find online their required annual reporting, their revenue was almost $400 million. In the world of non-profit organizations, that makes them a very large one indeed. They are organized as a 501(c)4 non-profit, which designates them as a "social welfare" organization. Personally, I find this designation ironic, given their activities. However, I would imagine that their members feel that the organization's stated mission to "protect" the constitution, particularly regarding the second amendment, would meet the standard of promoting social welfare.
I agree, the NRA definitely owns some responsibility for mass shootings. Also, I’m sure that the organization’s members do believe that it is an organization of social welfare, but it does seem ironic. Thanks for providing these facts.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not so sure. When a drug that the FDA has approved turns out to be deadly, people blame the drug manufacturer not the FDA. Isn't this similar?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Not exactly. The FDA might approve the drug, but they don't actively promote it. And in this case, it is known that guns are deadly.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:52 I'm not so sure. When a drug that the FDA has approved turns out to be deadly, people blame the drug manufacturer not the FDA. Isn't this similar?
The FDA doesn't try to push for the things they approve to be used or bought. The FDA doesn't lobby for political campaigns. The NRA has been harassing survivors of the Parkland shooting. Personally, I don't think anyone in the FDA would be doing that if someone survived after taking drugs that killed other people or to the people that were related to the deceased.

The FDA looks into their mistakes. They're willing to change their approvals when things become deadly. The NRA pushes for more guns in response to a gun problem. It's not quite the same. They absolutely are responsible because pumping more guns into the hands of angry and clearly sensitive people is their only answer. They want more sales because they get their money from corporations that want more sales, and they use that money to convince politicians to be complicit in the deaths of innocent people in huge numbers.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I think that VitalTech and the NRA share the responsibility here. VitalTech for giving the Final Notice even after they knew what was going on and the NRA for not reconsidering their huge gun push. They continue to offer discounts and lower rates and everything to get people to buy and buy and buy guns, but no option for how to avoid or prevent the violence these guns are causing. It's less like the FDA and more if I started selling live bombs to people, am I responsible if they explode? YES
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

In this situation, both the NRA and VitalTech share responsibility. In general, the NRA bears a lot of responsibility as they refuse to be a part of the solution. Note that I'm not anti-gun, but we stopped being members of the NRA a long time ago.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

The answer would depend on whether we are talking about moral responsibility or legal culpability. If it is the latter, then that would not be workable. On the other hand, moral responsibility can only be assumed and not pushed onto anyone.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:52 I'm not so sure. When a drug that the FDA has approved turns out to be deadly, people blame the drug manufacturer not the FDA. Isn't this similar?
Interesting thought. I think the problem when it comes to the NRA is how they handle the situation. I don't see the FDA stand there blatantly arguing against issues and making social stances the way they do. I think that is where the problem lies. The whole issue appears to be being approached as a social/rights issue rather then being looked at scientifically if that makes sense. Not saying the FDA never does anything questionable.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The NRA might have some culpability in the problems. However, they were quite demonized in the book to extreme. I don't think they have that much political clout as was portrayed.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

Kandis, I'm not sure that the FDA injects itself into every part of the political process as fully as the NRA does.(For one thing, as a gov't agency, I'm almost sure it can't promote candidates.)
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

In my opinion, no organization or regulating body should be taken into accountability. As I have been asserting, for any shooting to take place, the individual involved must be predisposed to do the act. We have been in proximity to knives on the table, knives in the kitchen, then why is it that we did not stab anybody yet? Or why didn't the soldiers who live with guns all their lives did not go on a shooting rampage just because they have guns?
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

The thing about the NRA promoting gun ownership is that they were directly targeting a group that has been made to feel powerless. In US society today, senior citizens are often made to feel redundant and powerless. We see this in the very beginning of the book when Vince is pushed down while shopping. He feels old, powerless, and embarrassed.

The NRA is directly manipulating these feelings by encouraging senior citizens to "brandish weapons" to give them their power back. Then they push the discount and bam! It makes having a gun seem very attractive.

I agree with the poster who said they don't have this kind of clout but I think this was a way of imagining what could happen if gun laws went in a certain direction. Like if we really passed the "Stand Your Ground" law like they had in this book.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

Roggyrus wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 01:53 In my opinion, no organization or regulating body should be taken into accountability. As I have been asserting, for any shooting to take place, the individual involved must be predisposed to do the act. We have been in proximity to knives on the table, knives in the kitchen, then why is it that we did not stab anybody yet? Or why didn't the soldiers who live with guns all their lives did not go on a shooting rampage just because they have guns?
Some people do go on stabbing sprees or just suddenly stab someone in their kitchen. Some soldiers do abuse their gun rights. Those aren't things that never happen, and they aren't an accurate comparison.

If you knew someone you cared about was suicidal, you probably wouldn't give them a bunch of knives and leave them alone with them.

If you cared about a veteran who grew up around guns had PTSD that made them unpredictable at times, you probably wouldn't want them around a gun anymore.

The NRA repeatedly demonizes common sense gun laws because it messes with their "freedoms," but in reality, the only people who would struggle to get guns through most of the things people propose would be people who have some mental instability that makes them a danger to themselves and others.

Morally, they are responsible. They've decided that innocent lives are an appropriate cost to make gun sales. Some of their representatives have been harassing the teenage victims of the Parkland shooting online. They survived a school shooting, and they're receiving death threats for not wanting anyone else to have to experience anything like what they went through. Is there no need for accountability there?

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”