How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: How much responsibility falls on the NRA?

Post by ostercl »

Being that the NRA advertised to profit themselves, a part of the blame should be put on them. Throughout their advertisements, subliminal messages were placed about the general lack of respect for older individuals and lack of protection that elderly folks had. In my eyes, these statements were like poking a sleeping bear - it egged individuals on that may never have had that side of them "awakened." This is very much like the nature and nurture argument in regards to serial killers. Everyone has the potential to do something drastic, but a majority of individuals are never put in situations to activate those characteristics that would influence them to do something violent. Not that the individuals who killed shouldn't be held responsible as well though...
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

Anirudh Badri wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 07:45 The answer would depend on whether we are talking about moral responsibility or legal culpability. If it is the latter, then that would not be workable. On the other hand, moral responsibility can only be assumed and not pushed onto anyone.
Very good point! Yes. The NRA’s responsibility is purely moral.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

ostercl wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:45 Being that the NRA advertised to profit themselves, a part of the blame should be put on them. Throughout their advertisements, subliminal messages were placed about the general lack of respect for older individuals and lack of protection that elderly folks had. In my eyes, these statements were like poking a sleeping bear - it egged individuals on that may never have had that side of them "awakened." This is very much like the nature and nurture argument in regards to serial killers. Everyone has the potential to do something drastic, but a majority of individuals are never put in situations to activate those characteristics that would influence them to do something violent. Not that the individuals who killed shouldn't be held responsible as well though...
Interesting points. I agree.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Mouricia25 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 07:46 Yes, you know the dangers, you push people to get guns, even tell them it's okay to just whip it out as you feel threatened, that is a recipe for disaster!
Agreed. These people are well aware of the dangers and proceed anyway.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 08:59 In the specific situation presented in Final Notice, the NRA definitely had a good deal of responsibility. Their marketing tactics were to target the senior citizen group with no regard to whether or not that was a good target audience. What I mean by good is, a group of people who could use their product competently and would choose to use it morally. They wanted seniors to be able to obtain a firearm regardless of their mental capacity.

This situation makes me think of the anti-tobacco commercials that are railing against cigarette manufacturers for targeting lower income audiences. It is a sellers ethical duty to know the capabilities of his market and not to target people in the hopes of taking advantage of them. Is it right for a car repair shop to charge me $500 because I don't know what the repair should cost and charge a middle aged man $200 because they suspect he probably knows $500 is a rip off? Absolutely not! Manufacturer's should have a responsibility to everyone, especially their consumers. I realize this is all very idealistic but if we are talking about what SHOULD be, this is it.

Profit overtook the safety of the American people. The NRA was largely at fault. I think the conclusion says it all.
Right. Greed is a global evil now.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

cozark38 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:20 Growing up in Montana, we had guns galore you might say. We hunted and fed our family out of necessity with them. I learned to shoot when I was 8 years old under strict supervision. Learning to shoot was natural. It was not really what we were learning though. We were learning respect for a weapon that kills. When I was 3, I knew better than to touch a firearm. Only so much can be taught at home and now we fight against the internet making it harder for parents. Do I think it is necessary to make and own guns like an AR-15? No. Do I think I have the right to tell another he should not own them either? No. I am a gun owner. I would register, be vetted, and I think that is great. The problem is, as mentioned previously here a bit, those vetted and given the green light for a gun will not prevent those that really want them from getting them and doing harm.

Guns don't kill people. The wrong people with guns are deadly. When people take drugs it can be deadly. I never enjoyed killing and no longer hunt. I was a crack shot with a pistol at one time. I liked to compete with myself, but only on targets. I did hunt for food, but never enjoyed it and never shot any animal just for sport. I still fish occasionally but catch and release usually. I prefer to observe life. I do understand both sides.

I don't hold the NRA responsible. Hostess is not held responsible for contributing to obesity, which is rampant here in the US. Cigarette companies are not responsible for their killing sticks. Stinging nettles may sting, but prepared properly they can be excellent to eat. It's all about education, research, and being open-minded. Do I think they should be morally held accountable? Sure, but I lack the credentials G.O.D. so I cannot judge them, but I can judge the act and keep up discussions like these to make a difference.

Gun owners, or the people that possess them, are responsible for their actions. I like the calm but differing opinions here. This is what is needed to try and resolve the issue we have currently. I appreciate the respect given here.
Absolutely. A calm, intelligent debate is exactly what we need. The conversation needs to start from a place of mutual respect.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Van F wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 16:56 Check out a song video I just posted on YouTube called Crazy Eddie Got A Gun. It’s full of stats including how much the NRA has funded politicians who support their agenda. The song could also be called Trudi’s Song if you’ve read Final Notice.
This is a great point. The NRA essentially pays for legislation that supports the organization’s profits.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

kthompson wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 20:18 The NRA itself is not an issue; the issue presents itself when the NRA is bullying representatives in Congress and influencing policy decisions. An organization like the NRA should not have that much power over our legislature. Now they've taken to threatening teenagers protesting for more gun control laws. Our bipartisan government should not be a puppet of a gun lobbying group.
Absolutely. I couldn’t agree more!
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

lavellan wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:01 I think the NRA has some responsibility. Even though they didn’t tell people to kill others, they pushed their products onto them. Additionally, the NRA pays politicians to support legislation that advances their interests. This prevents needed reforms from being passed.
Agreed.
berk_sumpter
Currently Reading: The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berk-sumpter.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by berk_sumpter »

I have only read the sample of this book so far. However, from reading the first few chapters and the reviews for this book, it seems as if the NRA might share some responsibility for the shootings. It doesn’t seem as if they had enough precautions in place in which senior citizens should be able to own guns. Maybe certain health conditions should have made one ineligible for the seniors to own guns.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

I recently read a post on social media from a young girl just 17, but very active and aware, for her age. She talked about how horrible the sounds of our "screaming children" were. I believe the most horrific sound in this aspect is silence. I don't have a problem with registering guns, doing some creative legislation, and allowing people to have guns. Unfortunately, with or without organizations like the NRA, the wrong people will still be able to get guns and create the silence of innocent people. When legislators state that we should not listen to our children, THAT is a problem. We may not want children to make the rules, but if we do not listen to our children, we may be creating an emotionally stunted and angry young person. We cannot just "hear" people, we have to actively listen. I enjoy the books that bring this issue out in the open. I look forward to reading several mentioned. I used to hunt. When I did, I did not do it with someone that was drinking or had a hangover. Safety of all needs to be considered. When you have your hair parted by a zinging bullet, you tend to be very aware of the issues we have with guns. Thanks again for all the respectful and differing responses. It gives me hope.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

mnmueller wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 15:49
What I read of the NRA's tactics in the book were deplorable.

This whole subplot was a sore point for me in the book. It felt wrong and killed any desire I had to finish the book.
These two statements you made make me think you should finish it. The end really might make up for the bad feelings you had about the subplot. There's a good conclusion in regards to the NRA's tactics.
Lenny1886
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenny1886.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Lenny1886 »

I haven’t read the book yet, but it seems like it opens up some timely discussions about gun control—especially after the tragic event in Florida. Of course, being in Canada it’s not really something I’m involved with.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

HouseOfAtticus wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 05:24 Not exactly. The FDA might approve the drug, but they don't actively promote it. And in this case, it is known that guns are deadly.
Agreed, the NRA is definitely actively promoting guns. Who do you think is behind the push to arm teachers? Follow the money and find the culprit.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

azerikaj wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 20:02 Kandis, I'm not sure that the FDA injects itself into every part of the political process as fully as the NRA does.(For one thing, as a gov't agency, I'm almost sure it can't promote candidates.)
The NRA is not a govt agency.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”