Vitaltech-How much responsibility do they have?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Vitaltech-How much responsibility do they have?

Post by britt13 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 19:21 In the book's scenario, VitalTech did all it can do. Vijay was actually portrayed as being very responsible and sincere.
I really liked Vijay. He seemed like he truly cared about how the product could help people instead of just making money. That does not mean that everyone at a company like VitalTech would react the same way, but as the creator who put so many years of work toward his product, you could feel that he actually cared. I was not always totally crazy about the parts he was in because they were a bit drier in my opinion, but I did like him.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

kfwilson6 wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 09:16
R-g-R wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 19:27 Ultimately, I believe that VitalTech needed to take responsibility and remove the Final Notice feature. I also believe that we need to return to humans, people, being the bottom line of any business transaction, rather than profit trumping commonsense and humanity.
It would be so nice if this could actually happen. Customer service isn't about looking out for the customer's best interest, it is about providing whatever it will take to get a customer to buy a product or pay for a service. VitalTech's focus group, which indicated it wanted the final notice feature, played a major role in Dr. Patel's decision to leave the feature for future test groups. The focus group indicated they would be more likely to purchase the VT2 if it had the Final Notice feature. That was pretty bottom line for VitalTech.
Profit is more important than saving lives. Their services are good, yet some dangers are awaiting as well.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 19:21 In the book's scenario, VitalTech did all it can do. Vijay was actually portrayed as being very responsible and sincere.
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't know why Vijay did not stop vt2 after hearing some news in the negative effects of the watch.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

n-dai che wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 08:20
Yeah, I agree with you. I don't know why Vijay did not stop vt2 after hearing some news in the negative effects of the watch.
You say you agree but then say the exact opposite? So, do you think Vijay was responsible with his actions or not? I personally already agreed with Miriam that I think he did what he needed to do. I think that yes people were killing others but that was truly not the fault of the watch and it has the potential to be very helpful.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

DancingLady wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 20:22
britt13 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 16:30
DancingLady wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:09 I think VitalTech bowed to the pressure to keep the Final Notice feature when they should have realized that risk of revenge crimes, which had already happened, far outweigh the benefit. I think it would have been far wiser for them to change the notice to "see your doctor immediately." Getting a diagnosis of probable death from a person is far different than from a gadget. I think this would have made an enormous difference for a lot of people. Besides that, as they said, it's highly accurate, but not a guarantee, and some people might not bother seeing a doctor if they took the notice as fact when, had they gone with 20-30 days left, an emergency procedure or treatment might have given them more time.
It did say to call your doctor though. I think that they needed to have crisis help in place prior to the notice. Just telling someone to see their doctor, when they already know what that Final Noticed is, seems like putting a band-aid on a gash from your neck to your belly button.
Definitely, but my point is that they should not have any notice on the device that in and of itself tells the wearer they will die soon. "call your doctor immediately" does not necessarily mean you will die, it does mean you need urgent medical care. I think there's a big difference in how someone is likely to respond that way.
Oh no, I agree, I just think that it would be expected that the calling the doctor would mean imminent death if you knew that was an option for the watch. I still find myself going back and forth about if I think that should have been included or not.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 11:21
DancingLady wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 20:22
britt13 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 16:30

It did say to call your doctor though. I think that they needed to have crisis help in place prior to the notice. Just telling someone to see their doctor, when they already know what that Final Noticed is, seems like putting a band-aid on a gash from your neck to your belly button.
Definitely, but my point is that they should not have any notice on the device that in and of itself tells the wearer they will die soon. "call your doctor immediately" does not necessarily mean you will die, it does mean you need urgent medical care. I think there's a big difference in how someone is likely to respond that way.
I think a lot of the responses would be determined by how VitalTech marketed and explained whichever feature they chose to go with. If there was no particular explanation for what "contact your doctor" means, there would probably be a split between those who would take it too seriously and think it is a near death warning, others who would think it wasn't important at all, and those who would not panic but would make a point to see their doctor soon. However, if a very specific description was given about that feature it could minimize panic while still strongly encouraging the patient to take the warning seriously.
I wish I would have seen this before I responded to it myself, I said a similar thing just less eloquently. That seems like it has happened a few times now :D. I am not sure that the final notice feature could really be a selling point without being front and center though. I know that when they talked about taking it out in the book they always stuck with it because the consumers wanted it.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I do think Vital Tech held some responsibility. However, the technology was available and someone would have launched it. It seems Vijay and his team reacted to the issues with the final notice appropriately. They did not ignore the problem and cooperated with the investigation.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Elle Howard wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:12 I do think Vital Tech held some responsibility. However, the technology was available and someone would have launched it. It seems Vijay and his team reacted to the issues with the final notice appropriately. They did not ignore the problem and cooperated with the investigation.
That was the big thing for me being okay with what they were doing. They were very open with the FBI and were as transparent as they could be without violating HIPPA. Vijay seemed like he cared about what was happening, it was not just a money maker for him. He wanted to try and adjust the situation so that the innovation could continue without the issue of people dying over someone else's Final Notice. I enjoyed that.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

They are fully responsible!!! The connotation of "Final Notice" gives people the illusion that they have nothing to lose. If it simply says "see your doctor immediately" then I feel that will make people think twice.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:32 They are fully responsible!!! The connotation of "Final Notice" gives people the illusion that they have nothing to lose. If it simply says "see your doctor immediately" then I feel that will make people think twice.
So you do not think that the shooter is responsible for their actions just because someone gave them bad news?
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

britt13 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:35
CaitlinGonya wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:32 They are fully responsible!!! The connotation of "Final Notice" gives people the illusion that they have nothing to lose. If it simply says "see your doctor immediately" then I feel that will make people think twice.
So you do not think that the shooter is responsible for their actions just because someone gave them bad news?
I'm not saying that the shooter isn't responsible, but if you have even a shred of doubt then you have a responsibility to address that doubt. If I thought my German Shepherd was violent towards children, then I'm not going to take him to my sister's house. Or I would ask her opinion. If my dog bites then as the owner I am responsible for his actions. How would this be any different as I knew this was a possibility?
britt13

Post by britt13 »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:42
I'm not saying that the shooter isn't responsible, but if you have even a shred of doubt then you have a responsibility to address that doubt. If I thought my German Shepherd was violent towards children, then I'm not going to take him to my sister's house. Or I would ask her opinion. If my dog bites then as the owner I am responsible for his actions. How would this be any different as I knew this was a possibility?
I agree with you in the way it is written in the book. I do not think the book is realistic though. They had such a small sample group so I find it highly unrealistic that more than one of them would have used a gun to kill someone. I would see the urge to commit suicide, but not go kill. I do not think the average American would commit murder just because they knew they were dying. Some may, but I think that number would be very low percentage wise. So if the book started with the ages of the test group being across the spectrum and the size of the study had been substantially larger, I would have maybe seen the number of killings to be a bit more believable.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Elle Howard wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:12 I do think Vital Tech held some responsibility. However, the technology was available and someone would have launched it. It seems Vijay and his team reacted to the issues with the final notice appropriately. They did not ignore the problem and cooperated with the investigation.
I agree! I noticed that when the user read the "final Notice", sudden feeling of rage arises. I observed it, the man killed his son and his wife when his son comes home and not in a good aura.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:42
I understand your point, too. The shooter is responsible, their actions prove that they cannot easily cope with the problems, then use their guns. I think to own a gun is making someone dependent to gun.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

While reading this scenario, oftentimes the watch triggers someone's feeling of anxiety and losing his mind. :(

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”