Views on Immigration

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Views on Immigration

Post by dtb »

I think the issue is very complicated. I don't agree that all immigrants who come can't take care of themselves or pay taxes. Every immigrant I have ever worked with brought a lot to the table in terms of education and job skills and we need to value what they contribute to our culture and economy. That being said, not everyone who comes here does so with good intentions and sorting out the bad apples isn't easy.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

As someone who moved from America to Japan, I have to say I am so happy with the immigration process. Japan is much less strict than America, so people are more willing to go through legal channels to immigrate, because they know they have an actual chance at getting a visa. (Unlike America, where it can take months to find out that you've been rejected.) Also, Japan recognizes that foreigners are a necessary part of its economy, because without foreigners you wouldn't have English teachers or tutors, much less highly qualified service providers, such as translators and interpreters. Not to mention that they have the opposite problem of America, which is that their population is declining. Some people are worried that foreigners having babies with Japanese spouses will dilute the Japanese blood and make the "Japanese" race go extinct, but it's either dilute the blood and survive or be completely erased, so...
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I agree with what has been said about helping who is here before helping those who aim to come. Immigration, like so many other things, has its positives, but also like many other things, it can become very overwhelming, fast. If people wish to seek a better life, it is far beyond me to say they shouldn't. Having the resources to aid those in the search, though, is essential
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

I think that immigration is a good thing. Most of the immigrants coming here are hard-working and make a positive contribution to society. Many are filling much needed professional roles in health care and technology.
I live in a community that has many immigrants. Our school system has families that speak over 80 languages at home. This diversity is beneficial to help us understand the world and other peoples.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Before we start to label immigrants, we should first view them as human beings. Their reasons for migrating from their homeland should be the basis for deciding whether they should be admitted elsewhere or not. Calamity can befall anyone. If it happens to me, I wouldn't want my safety to be compromised based on my background.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I think there's abit too much immigration already, and those countries receiving them aren't coping with them effectively, so they shouldn't be more until they do.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

Immigration leads to serious issues for both the "host" countries and the original country, my people from Vietnamese used to flee to America or French in order to hide from the government. Normally it was because they sold their own blood and relative and want to avoid punishment. I believe everybody should have a chance to live a full life and hope the world leaders could solve the immigration problems.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

While immigration should be a fair process, if everyone from everywhere is given free access to any country, then the floodgates will be open. Proper laws should, therefore, be enacted to monitor this system, so no country is overpopulated at any given time.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Immigration will always be a problem. When letting in someone new to the country, even to your home, the process is filled with apprehensions. But bad people can be anywhere. School shootings can be done by natural citizens. So though I am fine with immigration checks, I don't think newcomers should be viewed as a threat.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It's too complicated. I like immigrants, they bring cultural diversity, but if they come when we are still busy handling our own problems with homeless people, it's like we have guests but we can't take care of them, we can't make them feel at home, because our own family doesn't feel at home.
AnitaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by AnitaM »

I believe that everyone deserves a chance to live in safety, with opportunities to work and gain an education. In Western countries we can't fully understand the hardships some people around the world face, and we can't say how we would act if we were put in those positions. I also think that problems related to migration are greatly exaggerated both by politicians and the media. There are bad people in every country/culture. Therefore, I say we should welcome those in need of help and people who are simply trying to better their lives.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Immigration will always happen in one way or the other. It is not fitting to discriminate and close the doors to a certain group as a general just because some behaviour is being perpetrated by some members of it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

CheyenneR wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 14:08 I think immigration is fine but two things need to happen first. The first thing is any country should take care to help their own people first, you can't be a land of opportunities and yet have so many people that still need housing and food in your own country. Secondly, I think any immigration needs to be done legally, to immigrate anywhere "off the books" really causes problems later down the road not only for the person/people immigrating but for the country as a whole.
Completely true. Ding anything off-book may open a door for situations to get off-hand at times.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I am all for legal immigration. I do not like stereotyping people because of where they come from. Everyone deserves a chance to have a better future. However, I do think we do an awful job of taking care of some of our citizens. No child in our country should ever go to bed worrying about when their next meal will be.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
SkyeDragon
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyedragon.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by SkyeDragon »

I believe we need to take care of our own people first, but I am not against immigration in general. We need to have laws, and actually enforce them, that ensures the citizens of our country are protected and those entering our country are productive and are here legally. I support the responsible immigration policies that allow people to come here as long as they do not create an unreasonable burden on our society. America is made up of people from all over the world and most of our own citizens are of immigrant ancestry.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”