What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Re: What role do creative media play in cultural change?

Post by juliamenez »

Creative media has such an impact on today's political issues. Just look at all of the lessons that people derive from the very popular DC and Marvel movies these days (women's agency in Wonder Woman, importance of representation in Black Panther). Books also have a strong impact in cultural change, like how The DaVinci Code impacted many young readers' views on religious institutions.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think creative media has enormous impact on people's thinking and it does bring cultural change, especially if it is in the form of films.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

What a great question! Art of all forms has the incredible ability to both shape and reflect culture. This book brings a number of interesting ethical and moral perspectives to the surface and asks the reader to grapple with them. I don't think that one book can change a person's mind completely, but a number of stories over time can have a huge impact in changing how we see the world around us.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that “creative” media has much of an effect. People tend toward what they already believe. I like to think that I have an open mind, and I do, relatively, but I do this, too. From what I’ve seen, “news” media has a greater effect since generally we think what they report is truth.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

yeah the author did a good job, inspiring cultural change. i just hope this book gets to the right people.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

I concur that artistic media can have a significant impact. The majority of those who should read the book, in my opinion, won't, though. The book might be able to reach a wider audience if it were made into a movie because watching a movie takes less time than reading a book.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”