When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Re: When does personal responsibility become a part of the question?

Post by Elle Howard »

I would have to side with the shooter being to blame. They are the one that makes the final decision. Others, if they had known, may have intervened for a different outcome. However, it is the shooter that picks up the gun and uses it. I am sure many families of shooters play over repeatedly in their minds ways they could have stopped them.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

If one analyzes the entire scenario, everyone has their share of responsibility. Of course, the shooter will always be the maximum responsible for being the person who carries out the act directly. At the same time, those who allowed an older man whose healthy judgment can be altered by his advanced age to have a weapon at his fingertips also have a lower percentage of guilt.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

The one who did the wrong move held the higher responsibility. The NRA and the vt2 company are just a part of it. They are blamed because they sold that kind of stuffs. I see that, too many factors involving in the crime.
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

I feel it can go both ways with who is to blame. Obviously the shooters hold a higher blame because they are intentionally going out of their way to harm others just like the corporations. This does not mean that the people who are in that sistuation that can not take personal responsibity to make a change in what can happen to them. In the end the responsibility falls on both the people and the corporate.
chris 9 mayos
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chris 9 mayos »

when one is in need of help and you are in a position of helping,there are two circumstances;that is whether or whether not to help.upon this is where personal responsibilty now comes in
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I definitely believe it is the shooters responsibility. They were the one who made the choice to pull the trigger. Sometimes there are signs that people ignore but more often, I think they just do not realize what it meant and never suspected. The shooter must take responsibility.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

LivreAmour217 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 15:19 I hold the shooter responsible. I also believe that VitalTech does shoulder some partial blame, because they chose to not remove the "Final Notice" feature after they learned of correlation with the shootings. The morally responsible reaction would have been to remove the feature as a precaution. HOWEVER, the watch did not force the shooters go on a rampage, so I don't think that the company could be held legally responsible, just like I don't believe that gun manufacturers should be liable for crimes committed with their products.

The reasons behind why some people choose to commit these horrible crimes are multifaceted. Mental instability, lack of social support, a culture that glorifies violence, and restrictions that are difficult to enforce are some of the reasons. But like I said before, the blame ultimately falls upon the shooter.
I couldn’t agree more, nor could I have put it better myself. This makes a lot of sense and is clearly articulated.
beck0823
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by beck0823 »

ericahs wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:10 I think there is a balance between personal responsibility, like staying informed and making informed decisions, and placing the blame on larger social structures.
I agree, there is a moral responsibility inherit for all the parties. Of course, the main aspect of that lies with the shooter, since it was his personal decision to take that action. However, for corporations, there is also the decision to prioritize profits over the good of the society they are functioning in.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

When it comes to this, I believe everyone is to blame if there was something that could have been done to prevent the incident. However, this does not replace the weight of the whole case on the shooter.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

We are all responsible for the choices we make as individuals, whether those choices be good or bad. Every choice has consequences, and if we make that choice (such as shooting), we need to be willing to accept the consequences. I feel that many people choose not to do so, which partly explains why there is a problem with guns--instant gratification without looking past the action. Similarly, knowing there is the potential for mass danger and doing nothing is a choice. The danger coming to pass is a consequence, and if someone knows and chooses to say nothing, they need to accept the consequences, tough as it may be. I'd love to say I've mastered acceptance, but these are just big beliefs from someone who struggles with the application in my own life.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I think ultimately, that the shooter holds the primary responsibility. However, each one of us has a responsibility to make good choices, or a choice to make an ethical decision.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

There is a lot of factors involved in who is to blame. But ultimately, the final decision is up to the shooter. It is their choice, their mind, their thought process in deciding what to do.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I firmly believe that personal responsibility begin the very moment you decide, with the intent to purchase, pick up a gun and disarmed (shoot) it. Therefore, it starts with the "man in the mirror", far beyond the concept and characters written within this fictional story.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

The shooter carries the most of the blame. However, I do believe if you can prevent harm to someone, it should be done.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

I think a lot of people nowadays think holding somebody accountable for a tragedy will make the situation better. While I do believe people should take personal responsibility for their actions, I'm not sure this would have the desired effect in this situation. Assigning blame doesn't change what happened.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”