The Role of Age in Today's Society

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: The Role of Age in Today's Society

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 18:43 Unfortunately, the book is realistic in it's depiction of how the elderly are treated. I admit I am guilty myself of impatience in dealing with the feeble old. A sobering thought is that one day soon, I will be at the receiving end.
With that said, now that we know what we need to do, let us treat the elderly with love.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

lesler wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:28 It's unfortunate, but a fact of today's society. I think if the author replaced "elderly" with "toddlers," there would be so much outrage. There should be outrage at this level as well.
I laugh out loud at your idea.
:lol: I guess, if that happens, things will get complicated.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 03:44
Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 18:43 Unfortunately, the book is realistic in it's depiction of how the elderly are treated. I admit I am guilty myself of impatience in dealing with the feeble old. A sobering thought is that one day soon, I will be at the receiving end.
With that said, now that we know what we need to do, let us treat the elderly with love.
Yeah right! Hoping for I can apply this idea of yours all the time of my life. Will you still be kind to the elderly who rule ruthlessly?
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 03:31
stacie k wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 22:09 Before reading this book, I was not in tune with our society's views of the elderly. However, after dwelling my mind on the depiction in Final Notice, I started to catch myself with feelings of impatience when an elderly person was crossing the street and slowing down my plan and progress. I think the author has done his job to make us think about these issues. It is sad and true that so many of our elderly are placed in nursing homes rather than being cared for by their families. I desire to slow down and give respect and appreciation for the older generation who have so much wisdom and experience to offer.
It's a reminder of how our society treats the elderly. I hope more people would value and respect our elders.
Hoping for, but I guess only a small amount of percentage practicing kindness to the elderly in our world nowadays. :cry:
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

n-dai che wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 07:42
Yeah right! Hoping for I can apply this idea of yours all the time of my life. Will you still be kind to the elderly who rule ruthlessly?
Well yeah, it depends on the situation, and I'm sure there's a reason behind every action. What I'm saying is in general we should love and treat them kindly.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 08:01
Well yeah, it depends on the situation, and I'm sure there's a reason behind every action. What I'm saying is in general we should love and treat them kindly.
Thanks for your elaboration, It makes me calm right now. I feel better now, I am glad that I am a part of this forum . I can relate to this situation. Thanks to you.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

n-dai che wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:02
Camille Turner wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 17:20
n-dai che wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:00

If only each family knows how to respect and love the elderly because without them. They will not see the world. :(
Agreed. We should cherish them!
Yeah, I am a bit guilty on this situation because sometimes when we are in hot temper. We hurt them. I regretted on this kind of behavior of mine.
At least you recognize it! It takes a very strong person to admit when they need to do better. :)
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

There is a new-ish term being tossed around the publishing world--"ownvoices." When wielded by an agent or editor, it means they want to see marginalized characters written by people who are part of that marginalized group (aka. a character who uses a wheelchair written by someone in a wheelchair). A year or so ago, I had someone say to me "I have an ownvoice in my book. I'm elderly, and I wrote about an elderly character." I initially scoffed. After some thought, though, I realized they had a very good point. Elderly people are approaching marginalized if they aren't there already. Technology forces advancement. I have a few friends with flip phones, and I wonder how much longer they'll be able to keep those phones if they want to remain viable individuals in our society. We're in an "adapt or be left behind" world, and it is often easier for younger people to adapt. Unfortunately, I can all-too-easily see a future where the elderly are little more than a group to be put somewhere and gotten out of the way.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Camille Turner wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:06
n-dai che wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 10:02
Camille Turner wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 17:20

Agreed. We should cherish them!
Yeah, I am a bit guilty on this situation because sometimes when we are in hot temper. We hurt them. I regretted on this kind of behavior of mine.
At least you recognize it! It takes a very strong person to admit when they need to do better. :)
Well, all of us have many lapses and I need to overcome this.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

desantismt_17 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:30 I have a few friends with flip phones, and I wonder how much longer they'll be able to keep those phones if they want to remain viable individuals in our society. We're in an "adapt or be left behind" world, and it is often easier for younger people to adapt. Unfortunately, I can all-too-easily see a future where the elderly are little more than a group to be put somewhere and gotten out of the way.
Super interesting statement. I had an encounter this past week with a close friend who happens to be 73 years old. She was denied access to technology because her medical insurance (and she does have decent insurance) doesn't cover a device that would aid her in monitoring her glucose levels. She is super technology savvy and has always engaged in groups that are primarily "younger" people. The conversation made me think of this book and wonder: are the elderly left behind or do they not have access? In this case, I wondered if there isn't enough demand, enough elderly people crying foul for not having access to the technology.

I don't know the right answer. I do think life if what you make it. There is nothing stopping my elderly friends from, say, getting a smartphone. The reality is, their friends aren't texting or snapchatting so, why would they buy into this technology. When it helps them with their life, that's when.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

desantismt_17 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 11:30 There is a new-ish term being tossed around the publishing world--"ownvoices." When wielded by an agent or editor, it means they want to see marginalized characters written by people who are part of that marginalized group (aka. a character who uses a wheelchair written by someone in a wheelchair). A year or so ago, I had someone say to me "I have an ownvoice in my book. I'm elderly, and I wrote about an elderly character." I initially scoffed. After some thought, though, I realized they had a very good point. Elderly people are approaching marginalized if they aren't there already. Technology forces advancement. I have a few friends with flip phones, and I wonder how much longer they'll be able to keep those phones if they want to remain viable individuals in our society. We're in an "adapt or be left behind" world, and it is often easier for younger people to adapt. Unfortunately, I can all-too-easily see a future where the elderly are little more than a group to be put somewhere and gotten out of the way.
Well, I learned something today. I like that term, "ownvoice". My grandma and her book club are trying to write a book about a group of elderly people in a book club that end up going on the adventure of the book. I suppose that would fit into this concept. It is crazy to think that with so many elderly they would become marginalized, but as you get older I feel like it must be harder to stand up for yourself. I know that people have different strengths and weaknesses as they get older (such as Vince seeming pretty able throughout much of the book), but the fact is things do get harder.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I believe his novel shows a portion of perceptions towards the elderly. My parents are in the middle/late sixties but they still work and are active in the community. My grandmother climbed a mountain at the age of 80, so it really depends on the person as well as the viewing individual.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 19:35 I believe his novel shows a portion of perceptions towards the elderly. My parents are in the middle/late sixties but they still work and are active in the community. My grandmother climbed a mountain at the age of 80, so it really depends on the person as well as the viewing individual.
Wow, good for them. I wish they could maintain that. :D
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

n-dai che wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 08:26
See_B00kReaDs wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 08:01

Thanks for your elaboration, It makes me calm right now. I feel better now, I am glad that I am a part of this forum . I can relate to this situation. Thanks to you.
No worries, thanks to you too.
– Francis Chan

DaEminent
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by DaEminent »

This generation of ours, we are so smart to the extent of doing what our elderly ones have not even lay their hands in.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”