Is gun really the answer?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Re: Is gun really the answer?

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Guns are not the only answer, but they are also not the only problem. I believe that the human heart is where violence starts. Regardless of what laws are passed, our society will be plagued with violence until we learn to address the pain and hopelessness that is behind it.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

I remain close-minded on this one. I imagine if everyone thinks a gun could be the answer; any slight misunderstanding could get the wildly tempered shooting everyone. But if it was out of sight, it would have been out of mind as well. Let's always remember the most peaceful ways of solving anything.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I don’t think guns are the only answer, but they are sometimes necessary for protection. Obviously owning a gun is a huge responsibility and should be taken on accordingly.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I don't think that guns is the only answer to defend yourself. There are a lot of ways to defend or protect ourselves. Learning martial arts, boxing, jujitsu and other self defense lessons. There's also weapon that can be used instead of a gun. By being prepared, alert, vigilant and self awareness can be useful in critical time.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I feel like a gun in many situations just causes more problems. Just like in the book at the NRA meeting, it creates a domino effect and in the end, more people end up hurt.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

Guns are not always the answer, but with appropriate restrictions and instruction for owners they should be fine to keep as protection.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

For me, gun is the only answer when it comes to self defence and defending my family and friends. It is just ideal to think that we may have another way out.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I don't think guns are the answer and I think the author did a lot of good explaining that. He even had the police officer in the book explain that if you are going to own a gun, you need to be ready to shoot a person.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I believe a gun works in self-defense cases. But in the story, people were using guns to seek revenge before they died. In that case, that isn't self-defense and that was them taking the laws into their own hands knowing that there would be no consequences to them. I would protect my family by shooting an intruder. If someone doesn't belong in my home, they get whatever happens to them out of their own stupidity.
Mac :techie-reference:
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

You can't bring a knife to a gun fight. The others have guns, so you must be able to defend against them if your life is in danger. There are some other ways they just are not always enough.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

It is worth noting that guns are unidirectional weapons...you can only inflict damage in the direction the barrel is pointed at the time of fire. A bladed weapon, however, is more versatile as you can damage by swiping side-to-side or up-and-down. If we're talking self-defense, a home is a little more close-quarters than say out on the street. If you have a gun, that means it's stored somewhere out of reach, and if someone breaks into your home, you may or may not have time to go and fish it out.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Guns are not for everyone. If you feel uncomfortable having a gun then you shouldn't run out and get one. There are several options for self-protection available for those who do not want to own or use a gun.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

I think the first defense to defend ourselves is martial arts, not weapons, after that the government is serious about minimizing crime in the country, the more weapons in circulation the greater the occurrence of crime, the law must be upheld properly and discipline, law it must be fair, not to see who is the culprit.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I think that guns are not the only answer. The second amendment does allow the right to own them but there should be restrictions and checks for who can own them or else they will be used for illegal actions.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I don't think guns are the answer. They lead to a spiral of violence.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”