Movie adaptation?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: Movie adaptation?

Post by Al Chakauya »

Well I think the last part where there is homicide would be ideal for a movie but the rest of the book; it's a big NO! for me. The better part of the book is all talk and no action so for me it's a no as I am into all-action movies: therefore I am generally of the notion that this book will not make a great movie( at least I am talking for myself). For those who are not into action movies, I suppose they will enjoy a movie from this book but again I think you will need an excellent script writer and a superb director to make this book into a good movie.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Al Chakauya wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 06:33 Well I think the last part where there is homicide would be ideal for a movie but the rest of the book; it's a big NO! for me. The better part of the book is all talk and no action so for me it's a no as I am into all-action movies: therefore I am generally of the notion that this book will not make a great movie( at least I am talking for myself). For those who are not into action movies, I suppose they will enjoy a movie from this book but again I think you will need an excellent script writer and a superb director to make this book into a good movie.
Yeah right! I like your point. If this book has a movie version, I can't imagine the users of Vt2 reacted on the notice.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

Swara Sangeet wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 22:59 In my opinion, this would make a thrilling movie. I think that all the characters need to be portrayed well. Perhaps a few of the shootings (old age home, suicide, sales assistant) need not be enacted but just given as news headlines, but the rest should be done. The Khans could be downplayed as well. I'm very eager for the movie. I'd try to be the first to watch it!
I like your comment and agree completely. I am just wondering what you mean about the Khan's being downplayed? Could you enlighten me?
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

R-g-R wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 08:41 The idea of a movie is initially compelling, however I agree with other comments stating that there is a lot of dialogue and less action than ‘action thrillers’ would require. If a movie, it would need to be made as a drama, however there would be a risk of confusion as some would see guns and ‘Final Notice’ and think ‘serious action’, and then perhaps be disappointed.
It could be a nice change from some of the ‘regular’ senior’s flicks, though!
If the cover of the book were the cover/poster for the movie, it could very easily be very misleading. I expected the book to be more of a thriller than it was simply based on the title and cover art. A good writer could transform the concept into something more action packed. The scenes with all of the Final Notice recipients would be good for the screen, the dialogue with Vince and Trudi would need a lot of revamping though. It may be interesting to read their dialogue but who wants a 5 minute segment of two people watching the news and discussing it? Sounds a little too mundane for the screen. It has potential but I'd let this one stay as it is.
Cheyenne Perkins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenne-perkins.html

Post by Cheyenne Perkins »

Just about any book that's entertaining can be translated onto the screen. As a script writer, I know it can be difficult to maintain all of the details and scenes from a book. However, as long as the integrity of the story is intact, there should be no problem with a film adaptation. :tiphat:
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Cheyenne Perkins wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 14:05 Just about any book that's entertaining can be translated onto the screen. As a script writer, I know it can be difficult to maintain all of the details and scenes from a book. However, as long as the integrity of the story is intact, there should be no problem with a film adaptation. :tiphat:
You're right. Your idea is great as long as the concept of the story remains intact.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

Cheyenne Perkins wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 14:05 Just about any book that's entertaining can be translated onto the screen. As a script writer, I know it can be difficult to maintain all of the details and scenes from a book. However, as long as the integrity of the story is intact, there should be no problem with a film adaptation. :tiphat:
That is what I was saying to other people. I am not a writer, but I am a director, and I could feel parts of this story come alive. Yes, some of the book was a bit slower, but that could be dealt with.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 09:43
R-g-R wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 08:41 The idea of a movie is initially compelling, however I agree with other comments stating that there is a lot of dialogue and less action than ‘action thrillers’ would require. If a movie, it would need to be made as a drama, however there would be a risk of confusion as some would see guns and ‘Final Notice’ and think ‘serious action’, and then perhaps be disappointed.
It could be a nice change from some of the ‘regular’ senior’s flicks, though!
If the cover of the book were the cover/poster for the movie, it could very easily be very misleading. I expected the book to be more of a thriller than it was simply based on the title and cover art. A good writer could transform the concept into something more action packed. The scenes with all of the Final Notice recipients would be good for the screen, the dialogue with Vince and Trudi would need a lot of revamping though. It may be interesting to read their dialogue but who wants a 5 minute segment of two people watching the news and discussing it? Sounds a little too mundane for the screen. It has potential but I'd let this one stay as it is.
I agree about the title and cover art. Isn't it amazing how much that can influence us? We always like to say "do not judge a book by its cover" but it starts our minds on forming opinions. I think with this one, in particular, I was also misled by the review of the book. It made it sound like it was much more action-packed. I think the book had the opportunity to be that, but it seems like he was more interested in sharing his political views.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Sanyesto wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 03:20 Yes actually as I was reading through the book I was visualizing it as if I was watching a movie. Thus I think it can make a great movie if well plotted and organized
I agree on your point as well. When we read it, our imagination works, and when we watch, we can catch the author's point.
roamnoor
Currently Reading: God? Very Probably
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roamnoor.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by roamnoor »

It would be interesting to see how it all pans out with a movie adaptation. It's worth a try.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

roamnoor wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 06:44 It would be interesting to see how it all pans out with a movie adaptation. It's worth a try.
Yeah, you will see the concept clearly, but whatever you perceived when reading seems not the real actions.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

In my opinion, reading the book had been interesting, so I'm really curious as to how it might turn out if it becomes a movie. I think the action/suspenseful scenes would look epic on screen!
n-dai che
Currently Reading:

Post by n-dai che »

Aubrey Cana Laine wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 02:09 In my opinion, reading the book had been interesting, so I'm really curious as to how it might turn out if it becomes a movie. I think the action/suspenseful scenes would look epic on screen!
yeah, you're right. The actions on screen seems exciting. It will drives us to watch it carefully, yet I guess, ït is a bit scary. I can't imagine how the characters reacted to the "Final Notice ".
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

n-dai che wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 23:06
Sanyesto wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 03:20 Yes actually as I was reading through the book I was visualizing it as if I was watching a movie. Thus I think it can make a great movie if well plotted and organized
I agree on your point as well. When we read it, our imagination works, and when we watch, we can catch the author's point.
True.
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

I think book to movie adaptations are very trick. The directors are the ones interpretation the book and then visualizing what they think it looks like. For me it first depends on the directors that turn this book into a movie. They would have to see the same themes I uncovered while reading the book, but also give meaning to news things that I may not have thought of. For me I love book to movie adaptations especial heartfelt movies so I think it would make a great movie.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”