Underlying theme of racism in America...

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Underlying theme of racism in America...

Post by Jessacardinal »

The author did a good job touching on real-life issues currently existing in America. I believe the media plays a big part in the racism problems we have today. The book did not increase my compassion because I am already extremely compassionate about it all.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

mcfeealexis wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 09:56 I think the author did a great thing of trying to put reality and imaginiation together. He made most of his characters come from different background but his main characters were still white. Just like in society were we may be a diverse country, the people on top are still white just like his characters.
I know I'm late to this forum- but I just wanted to say that this is a great answer. Really sad and unfortunately true.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I appreciate the author taking this up as an underlying theme. It brought out the start reality of discrimination.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

I enjoy how the author did intentionally include people of color in the story who were central to the plot and were three-dimensional characters. It was interesting to read groups of characters discussing different topics and how their cultural context differed from person to person. I would like to see more and more stories like this where people of color aren't included as tokens but as integral and well-developed characters in the story.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am white and I am sorry to say that many books use a white character to explain things. Lots of the time it seems to me as if they think that a white person is only able to be capable of understanding, and must explain to other races. It’s really difficult for me to see what one’s skin color has to do with anything.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I would agree the author potraying the races in this book so well. These racial isiess have always been present for a very long. It amazing to see someone write so brilliantly about it.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

The main themes of the tale were tolerance and compassion. In a society where you interact with a wide variety of people, the two things are really helpful.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”