Underlying theme of racism in America...

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Underlying theme of racism in America...

Post by charmaineperit »

Irishmom wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 09:43 I think he did a good job with this. What a timely topic. I do think that this story makes a good point about empathy. Empathy in general will help overcome all kinds of prejudice.
I agree, empathy helps in understanding others' struggles especially when it comes to different races.
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

My sister-in-law is black, and it is amazing that I, who thought I was so above racism and intolerance, have still grown, simply because I have more empathy now!
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. "~Groucho Marx
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

I'm not sure, but I think the book shades light on the whites so much.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

kfwilson6 wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 09:35 Fleisher did an excellent job of showing readers that they should be compassionate toward all people. He really emphasized the concept of "you don't know what someone else is going through." Through Vince and Trudi, Fleisher even highlighted some of the benefits of getting to know people with different backgrounds (he really enjoyed the cheesecake!). I try not to judge people based on stereotypes and I am perfectly accepting of immigration to the US, however it really brought my compassion for others to the surface. It reminded me to have patience with everyone and remember that I never know what someone else's situation might be. Treat everyone as a friend (but with caution) :)
Like your post. It is not our job to judge others. Who are we to past judgment on others simply because of a different ethic background. Even though you may have gone through the same situation as someone else, you still cannot understand how that person is feeling. Everyone is different and because we may respond a certain way to things, does not mean that other people should or do react the same way. I treat people with respect regardless of where they come from.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

britt13 wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 19:40
VictoriaMcMillen wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 17:25 Many of the characters in the book were from diverse backgrounds. Throughout the book the author seems to use the two main characters, who are white, to bring about a better undersanding and compassion for those who are not white. Did you notice this as well? What are your thoughts before and after the book on how the media portrays diverse peoples verses real-life? Was the author able to grow compassion within you for others? Please feel free to answer whatever question you feel comfortable doing so.
This book did not change my mind but I loved how he worked with POC. I have always felt like people are people and racism makes no sense to me. Every race has some bad eggs but I like to believe that for the most part people are good. The immigrants in the story were some of my favorite characters and I think they were some of the more developed ones for sure.
I feel the same today as I did yesterday. The harsh reality that racism has existed for centuries and still continues today has not change. The sad part about racism is that it is not a characteristic that you are born with, this is a learned bias that probably has been passed down from generation to generation. The concept of hate based solely on the color of your skin is beyond my scope of stupidity. There are too many other things in this world that should cause people to despise (child abuse, sexual assault, etc) instead of focusing on skin color instead of what's inside a person. That cliché "do until others as you would have them do to you," is so true. If the reverse were true, how would they feel.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Eileen R wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:06 This book couldn't have come at a better time especially because of the issues relating to race in America at the moment. The author did a great job of bringing race related issues to light. It's about time that we talk about these issues without stereotyping any particular group of people.
It is sad to think that some people believe that racism does not exist anymore. Take a look at past history of discrimination in this world, has it changed any? The worst thing about the situation is that what was hidden and done under the cover of white hoods are done in the light. Take a look over the last 10 years of how people in authority has been more vocal regarding their views of racism. The mentality that white is superior over any other race is still alive because the people who are able to make changes are the ones who still by this creed.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Irishmom wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 08:48 My sister-in-law is black, and it is amazing that I, who thought I was so above racism and intolerance, have still grown, simply because I have more empathy now!
Great post. It is one thing to stand for injustice but when we are able to get a first-hand view of racism towards someone we know, it changes things. We have a deeper understanding and empathy for those who has experience racism. I can't walk in someone shoes without understanding where those shoes have been.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I always appreciate a reminder to be empathetic towards people from every situation / ethnicity / background, because it's so easy to forget to extend compassion actively... I think maybe because when you empathize it's a choice to feel others' pain and that's... well, painful. So even if I know in my head that empathy is valuable, it's good to have regular heart reminders like this to keep it real
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The author trying to portray the empathy, which the white people show towards other race through his characters could be a attempt to bring about harmony among different races. The characters Vince and Trudi display this empathy towards the other characters who come from other race
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

I don't think that anyone can teach you empathy. They can only open your eyes to be more compassionate to others if you are capable of it.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I think it is important to always be educated about race issues in books, media, news, schools, family, friends, and public figures. You can always learn more and become more open minded.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Irishmom wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 09:43 I think he did a good job with this. What a timely topic. I do think that this story makes a good point about empathy. Empathy in general will help overcome all kinds of prejudice.
Why is something so simple and easy for some, is so difficult and hard for others? People are not born a racist, bigot or prejudice. They are inherited traits that pass from one generation to the next. These are learned behaviors that are often taught in the home or some people are influenced from outside sources. This world would be great if we can eliminate prejudices. Empathy is like eye sight for the mind. Once you can see, you can't believe how you have been blind to others' worries, pain, angst, aspirations, hopes etc. The old cliche "you have to walk a mile in someone elses shoes to understand where they have been," is so real. It is easy for some people to hate the things that are different. It takes understanding those differences that will create a change in the hearts of those that hate.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Irishmom wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 08:48 My sister-in-law is black, and it is amazing that I, who thought I was so above racism and intolerance, have still grown, simply because I have more empathy now!
I understand what you mean. Treating everyone equally regardless of race, nationality, gender, religious beliefs or sexual orientation is one thing that, for the most part, people are able to do. If we are confronted with racism, are actions are based on our belief in right and wrong, equality, and justice. In spite of the fact that we are able to be sympathetic to things, for instance I can be sorry that a person was discriminated against, which can be done from a distance. However, being able to experience what that person felt, simply by putting yourself in their shoes, understanding how this affected them, can we make a connection. This gives a deeper insight into just how racism really affects others.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

While I feel like his intention was to broaden the perspectives of the people reading, it felt so forced. I would much rather they just be friends with many different ethnic people than deliberately discuss the ethnicity of every person they met who is not white. There is a difference in promoting understanding of multiple cultures and making the main characters into preachers about it.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I didn't really think of it as two characters who are white creating sympathy for characters with a diverse background. More as two characters with a relatively "safe" background helping to create sympathy for characters with a more troubled past.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”