Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
lizzyd04
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane

Post by lizzyd04 »

Hi. I thought the book was good. Very similar to family life nowadays. Natalie is a very strong girl with a lot on her shoulders. Overall, the book was well written and a good read.
zandri
Currently Reading: The Adventure of Smelly Sock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandri.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by zandri »

The description and the reviews of this book all seem very positive. Despite of this, the book seems very emotionally heavy to me and therefore I will not be reading it.
RedLetter
Currently Reading: The War Within, the Story of Josef
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redletter.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by RedLetter »

I've just started reading this book and I have to admit, I was drawn in from the very beginning. I love the way the author chose to write this story; the imagery painted in the reader's mind is enough to put you right into the story itself. From the beginning pages of Natalie's first argument with her step-father in the kitchen during breakfast, you could cut the tension with a knife! I can't wait to finish this story!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

The formatting and language of the book is okay for me. I have no quarrel with the characterization. But with the storyline, I consider this more or less just a neighborhood family quarrel of some sort. I prefer stories of fantasies, out-of-this-world stories for a change.
Last edited by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes on 12 Jun 2018, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book sounds really good. I haven't been able to read it yet though. I was just wondering what this book was about. I'm not really clear on that. Thanks!
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

It's about hopes, dreams and responsibilities. Something an average person or adult joggles daily, so I would recommend it to others.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

I can't wait to read this book. I am still waiting for it to show up in my selection of books to read. Each review of this book is great and I can't wait to read this book for myself.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Reading these reviews makes me feel so sad for the main character. I am very lucky to have a mom that supports me and would do anything for me. The reviews and posts about this book are great and have influenced me a great deal in deciding to read this book when I get the chance. Thank you to everyone for helping me make this decision.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Aisha I wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 17:42 The book is an inspirational story for the young and old, I love and care so much for Natalie whose struggles and hardworking skills were just to take care of her beloved mother. that's the beauty of the heart of a female child to the parents. all the settings and plotting is perfectly put in place here.
what I dislike so much here is where her mother wasn't there for her as well. I think she would have done better in this book by transferring her care to her daughter as well no matter the circumstances.
I strongly recommend this book to everyone out there, there's always a lesson to be learnt from this inspirational piece
Reading this made me interested in reading the book, even if I'm a bit late to the party! I like that the female characters fill both good and bad roles because I think that makes things more interesting, but I'd be reading with critically to see if this is a feminist piece.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I really liked this book and gave it a 4/4 star rating. I liked the way it was written. The reading flow was smooth and I had read half the book before I realised how much I had read. The character growth of the protagonist was another thing that I liked. And the ending was splendid.
danopsy
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danopsy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by danopsy »

Natalia was a girl who has regard for her mother. the book is a book that inspire all. It shows how much a female value her mother, no wonder mothers prefer female children! this book is recommendable
Terra7
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terra7.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Terra7 »

My heart goes out to Natalie. I think this book highlights something we try to avoid in fiction: that parents are also human, and therefore carry their own flaws. I empathize with everyone who is angry that Natalie's mother did not sacrifice everything for her the way Natalie sacrificed for the mother. However, having a difficult relationship with my parents too, I can completely understand the situation, and the choice of the author to be more realistic.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I loved this story so much and highly recommend it to anyone looking for gorgeous writing and excellent character development, while also addressing a heavy topic and creating a meaningful response from the reader. This book will definitely keep the reader engaged!
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

The book sounds interesting and well laid out. Also, it might be a little hard to read in some places as well. I must add this book to my must read list.
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

I feel bad that her mom wasn't there for her. It makes me shake my head and think "What kind of Mom is she?" What parent isn't there for their child? It's really upsetting to me to think about that.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”