strong character of a woman

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: strong character of a woman

Post by CheyenneR »

I think the prologue does portray a strong woman. Even though it was portraying an abusive home, I think that helped me to see her as an even stronger woman because she was able to overcome those circumstances.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

n-dai che wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 03:17 Yeah, as early as adolescence she already acted as a mature lady. I heard, too many stories like here.
Me too on this one. Adolescence being a vulnerable age for most, it does shape who a person becomes in the future wether good or bad.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 09:04 I think the prologue does convey strength of character even in an unhappy home.

Consider a few things for me: does circumstance define the strength of a character? If it doesn't, what does? If it does, doesn't being resilient in the face of hardships qualify as strength?

Also, even if she wasn't a strong character in the prologue, does that really matter? One of the most compelling things for me when I read a new book is character development. The process of finding that strength and resilience will probably be a better story than her being an unchanging source of strength throughout the entire novel.

Just food for thought. :)
This is more than an awesome reply to the question. It leaves the readers thinking about the questions thrown back. 😉
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I think regardless of gender hardships can bring out the best or the worst in an individual. What matters is the character of the person as depicted by the choices made in such a situation. If the daughter buckled in fear then she wouldn't defend the others and I'm sure the story would read differently. It takes courage to defend others from people far much influential and stronger. There are real-life stories of boys who do the same. Would they be equally celebrated?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The daughter does well to protect her mum which is a way of showing that indeed the strength of a woman is portrayed. This is made more profound given that Natalie was young.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
nobunkum
Currently Reading: The Caucasus
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobunkum.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by nobunkum »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 10:05
Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 09:04 I think the prologue does convey strength of character even in an unhappy home.

Consider a few things for me: does circumstance define the strength of a character? If it doesn't, what does? If it does, doesn't being resilient in the face of hardships qualify as strength?

Also, even if she wasn't a strong character in the prologue, does that really matter? One of the most compelling things for me when I read a new book is character development. The process of finding that strength and resilience will probably be a better story than her being an unchanging source of strength throughout the entire novel.

Just food for thought. :)
I would agree that being resilient in the face of hardship does qualify as strength. It is unfortunate but true that, for many of us, the experience of hardship is what brings maturity and growth of one's personality. I enjoy evolving character development in a novel, as it encourages the potential for us to do the same in our own lives.
I really like that and agree. We all have faults and weaknesses and as we progress in life it is hoped that we progress to. Not to be expected to be perfect at first or have perfect circumstances but to be refined in the process of life.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

The daughter, Natalie is a very courageous young woman and a true fighter. So I think the prologue does convey a strong character of a woman, irrespective of the woman coming from the unhappy home.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Litzy reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litzy-reader.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Litzy reader »

The strong character of Natalie was built from the abusive environment. This inspired her to protect her siblings and defend her mother. But this does not necessarily mean that, a loving and happy home develops weak character as mentioned by Aisha.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

The strong character of a woman is strengthened by the hard situation. I appreciate the girl's fighting spirit.
jo89220n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo89220n.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by jo89220n »

lesler wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:36 I think the strength of the daughter is strengthened by the description of the unhappy home, and it contributes to her strength. She can be strong without an unhappy upbringing, but is even more so because of it.
I agree completely. The unhappy home doesn't make her less strong. If anything, she overcomes more and perseveres which makes her stronger than most. Strength and happiness don't always go hand in hand.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I believe that the daughter shows strength through the portrayal of an unhappy home.The mother also shows her own strength in difficult circumstances - it is too easy to judge people in these situations and say they are weak
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

Zilelabelle wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:11 That depends, are you referring to the mother or the daughter? Because I think the daughter showed more fortitude and strength of character in protecting her mother.
Natalie was indeed caring
Richard Whitehead

lesler wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:36 I think the strength of the daughter is strengthened by the description of the unhappy home, and it contributes to her strength. She can be strong without an unhappy upbringing, but is even more so because of it.
I equally agree with this
Richard Whitehead

n-dai che wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 17:09 The daughter's maturity to protect her mother makes her strong.
Yeah, this is her motive.
Richard Whitehead

n-dai che wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 23:18 Nathalie needs to be brave and her unhappy home pushes her to be strong enough to fight discrimination.
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”