Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by bruin »

It might have always been happening, but we notice it more now because of social media and many different news outlets. Also, it seems more shunned upon now than maybe it would have been several decades ago when it was normal for young girls to get married and have kids.
Avid Sci-Fi Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Avid Sci-Fi Reader »

I think everyone loves sex. I also think this has always been the case. I just think that our society at large has gone so far over the top about what is politically correct, that it raises much more stigma now than it did in the 50's. I for one believe that if you truly love someone you should be allowed to be with them, regardless of our current jobs.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Avid Sci-Fi Reader wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:26 I for one believe that if you truly love someone you should be allowed to be with them, regardless of our current jobs.
Thank you for your comment!

If I might ask for clarification, do you mean to say regardless of age too? Are you purporting that the "job" of teacher or mentor should be disregarded if there is love between a teacher and a minor?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

Now it's not looked upon as harshly as it was back then. Though I understand passion and getting caught in the moment, I wonder how people of a certain age don't feel uncomfortable being romantically or sexually involved with teenage kids.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

NL Hartje wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 18:38 With recent news headings highlighting teens running away with teachers/neighbors etc, do you think Natalie's relationship with Mr. Glover is more believable in 2018 than in the 1950's scene of this book? Or was it just as prominent then? Has it always been a theme with young girls?
Love knows no time period. But now with the so-called sexual revolution, sexual freedom, or gender equality, women's liberation, etc., women are more emboldened to do as the men do. And what better chance to get even.
When men, though already old, get themselves wives or paramours half their age, not much stigma are attached now to women who would do as their counterparts do.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Nena_Morena wrote: 18 May 2018, 22:08 Now it's not looked upon as harshly as it was back then. Though I understand passion and getting caught in the moment, I wonder how people of a certain age don't feel uncomfortable being romantically or sexually involved with teenage kids.
Back then, or way, way back then during Biblical times, King David used to have young naked virgins surround him and cuddle to him in his sleep, or how Joseph was seduced by the wife of his master. You might say, it is now as it was then. Or even much more now with the more liberated women, more liberal moral code, and the much-hyped sexual revolution.
VirgoRules2018
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virgorules2018.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by VirgoRules2018 »

With the advent of social media and people being more open about sharing things that have happened.....we are more aware when these types of things occur. I think there has always been an undertone of this nature....teenagers running off with older married people.
But because such things were considered taboo and not talked about as they should have been. The lack of sharing of information ...sweeping things under the carpet and therefore not dealing with these issues that affected young people .....has led to the continuation of this type of behavior.
More attention needs to be paid to the very young....they need to be protected from their own naivety.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Nanig83006 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 08:43 It may have always been a thing, but more known now because of different sources of media. In my opinion, this is a theme for both boys and girls, we just hear about the girls more often. During my time in high school, a male teacher was caught having an affair with a girl in my year. Two years after I graduated, a female teacher was caught with a male student. I'm not sure if schools (or just my school) are hunting grounds, but it's safe to say that kids in abusive situations make easy targets for predators.
My friend told me about almost the same situation of a female classmate and it just happened recently. So it definitely is happening in 2018.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

In those days teenage extramarital affairs were even pronounced more than in the 20s century. As for me, I noticed that because of technology and its advances people who are in urban areas now get gists about the issue. But
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

In those days teenage extramarital affairs were even pronounced more than in the 20th century. As for me, I noticed that because of technology and its advances people who are in urban areas now get the clue about the issue. But as for me, I know in the rural areas it still happens.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

It as you've stated, "with recent news headings highlighting teens running away with teachers, neighbors etc.", I do think Natalie's relationship with Mr. Glover is much more believable now in 2018 than in the 1950's scene of this book, and according to history, it's always been an unfortunate theme with young girls.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
JoseeBaibez
Currently Reading: The 5-Day Stage Fright Solution
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JoseeBaibez »

Well, that seems quite the opposite of the stereotype.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

yeah i think these things have always been happening, just that nowadays there isn’t as much stigma around anything and people live much more in the open. in the age of the internet we can all know about things, and people’s gossip so much easier. that, and it’s harder to hide.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I think these things have always been happening, we just have the ability to become more aware of it now. I think it is also considered a worse offense now than before.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think that extramarital affairs have always happened. It is just that in today's world it is a little more acceptable. (Key word being "little") Also it is talked about more. The world has become very small because of the internet - cell phones - etc, so it seems to be more prevalent in society when, in fact, I believe it has stayed the same. There is just more coverage of the subject.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”