Emotional effects of abuse on children

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Re: Emotional effects of abuse on children

Post by Bomisope »

rcarr13 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 16:12 Fortunately, I have never been in a situation like that so I'm can't be completely sure of how accurate this is, however, I do believe different people would react and cope to the situation in different ways. The author has done a good job of showing how each character in this home deals with it differently and that is an accurate portrayal of any shared traumatic experience.
So true, as the saying "different stroke for different folks". People react differently and the author did justice to the different reactions portrayed by the characters.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Our society gets it share of the trauma in future when children are abused. The memories of the ordeal they pass through remains with them and some grow to become violent. They see it as a normal way of life. Stop child abuse!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I actually believe that the author was correct in depicting the effects of abuse having diverse impacts on each child. This is reflective of what happens in society. Not everyone reacts the same to abuse.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I think she did.
Every situation will affect children differently though and every family copes with abuse differently, but she was pretty good with portraying the affects on them.
Booklover128
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover128.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Booklover128 »

Like several others have said, I believe that the author did a better job of portraying the effect of abuse realistically in contrast to the stereotypical family which sticks together no matter what which is what other authors may have done. An analogy involving a glass bottle comes to mind, when broken some shatter into a thousand pieces and some become a weapon with their jagged edges, it just depends on where the pressure was being applied and moreover to whom. In this case, Shirley is the weapon and Robyn the victim who is falling apart. I also appreciated the fact the author chose a young girl (Shirley) to portray as the character who had the vicious streak rather than the overused male boy as it is just as probable in situations similar to the one described in the book.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I appreciate that the author actually talked about the subject of abuse in children. Some authors would shy away from the topic. I do believe that she actually gave an honest portrayal of the effects of abuse in children.Abuse affects people in different ways and i think that the author captured this.
kina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kina.html
Reading Device: B009W9AEOM

Post by kina »

I think so, yes. Children have such diverse reactions to abuse, and those seen in the sisters have been seen in real child victims of abuse many times.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I think that the author does give an honest portrayal of the effects of abuse. Every child will deal with it differently and I think she showed that well with each child in the Chapman family.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I think the effects of abuse are not always as noticeable as what was written in the book. We learn so much everyday, a different indicator of abuse.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html

Post by Makena Mugendi »

See_B00kReaDs wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 21:12 I am fortunate not to have experience abuse, but for those who have, I pray that one day you will overcome this traumatic experience and be totally freed and healed from this.

The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Psalms 34:18
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalms 147:3
Oh, I am not a victim of abuse. I just went to the seminar for the education. We volunteer in church, so our youth Pastor gave us invitations. I thought it was important, so I went. That is all. I'm sorry that it sounded that way. I was just saying my opinion, based off of what I learned.
Thank you though!
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that childhood abuse effects children in a variety of ways. Some will shy away from social interaction and retract from the world. Others will become more aggressive and rebel against authority figures. It depends on the child and the variety of ways that this abuse is manifested in the children are realistic.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Tbunde5 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 21:55 While Natalie is the central figure of the book, I found it fascinating to see the interactions of all the children. Robyn, who wets the bed; Shirley, who has a vicious mean streak; and Natalie, trying to hold them all together. Do you think the author gives an honest portrayal of the effects of abuse in children?
I thought her portrayal was very active. I have taught children who were abused in some way and they often display the types of behaviors you mention. Often, an older sibling or other family member ends up the caretaker, even if not officially, rather than the parents.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Tbunde5 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 21:55 While Natalie is the central figure of the book, I found it fascinating to see the interactions of all the children. Robyn, who wets the bed; Shirley, who has a vicious mean streak; and Natalie, trying to hold them all together. Do you think the author gives an honest portrayal of the effects of abuse in children?
I do believe that the author gave an honest portrayal of the effects of abuse in children. Natalie, Robyn, and Shirley exhibited distinct signs of living in an abusive household. Bullying, angry outbursts, withdrawal, bitterness, and the drive to succeed and escape are a few examples of the unwanted fruits of abuse, but there are many more.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
slori0488
Currently Reading: The Practice House
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slori0488.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by slori0488 »

I feel Linnane gave an accurate portrayal of the effects of abuse in the children. We all know everyone responds differently to everything they're exposed to and abuse is no different. Shirley having a mean streak is a pretty typical response. It's a way to protect herself. Giving off a tough exterior, acting as though she isn't afraid of anyone and can handle anything. In contrast, Robyn wetting the bed shows how vulnerable and scared she is. Natalie trying to hold everyone together shows her motherly instinct to protect everyone. However, I feel her relationship with Mr. Grover shows her own need for love and protection.
AnitaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by AnitaM »

Thankfully, I have no personal experience of abuse. However, I believe the effects can vary depending on the nature of the abuse, personality of the individual, and many other factors and experiences. Children are very vulnerable and I thought the author captured this well.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”