Natalie's Character Growth

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Natalie's Character Growth

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Natalie's character was well developed, the author did a good work in that regard. With regards to the ending, I feel like it could have embodied her as someone who was matured enough to attend to her accountability.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

ReviewerDiksha wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 01:53 Throughout the book, we see Natalie going through various events that shape her personality. While for the most part, she was purely innocent and good; by the end, she was more in the grey area. Her stepfather's death scene was the one where I saw that part of her personality come out. And the last line of the book was, in particular, the strong indication of the person she had grown into. I have seen that certain tragedies and traumas slowly build around the personality of a person. Something similar seemed to happen with Natalie. As I mentioned in my review also, in the beginning, I had strong, good feelings for her. But by the end, I wasn't so sure. Something felt unsettling to me.
What do you think about that last line? What are your thoughts on Natalie's overall character arc? What do you think about Alex's death and the ending?
I think within all of the things that happened, she came full circle with her life, the way she is and the things she has done in order to reach the pinnacle of where she is now. I think the last sentence was her, "Who gives a darn," reaction to what others may think of her. The hatred that had built inside of her was too strong for her to overlook Alex's faults. The idle threats he made toward her family and the way he beat her so savagely would never stop for her and in her mind the only way to diminish a mean snake, is to put it out of its misery. The ending really didn't affect me except she's been seeing this man for over 30 years now and understands that she has relegated her life to just that.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

It's difficult to judge someone's character until you've worked in his or her shoes. Abuses can mar one's good personality. It can turn an angel into a demon and that's one of the reasons our societies fight against it.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I hated Natalie's development. The whole time I was hoping she would grow up and mature. Instead she gave into her base desires and never had to deal with any consequences. Instead of learning to be less violent, she learns that violence can solve her problems (like when she beat up the bully). Instead of learning that relationships are complicated, she learns that adultery is fine and people will inevitably accept it. Instead of learning that murder is wrong, she learns that it can solve all your problems.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

ReviewerDiksha wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 01:53 Throughout the book, we see Natalie going through various events that shape her personality. While for the most part, she was purely innocent and good; by the end, she was more in the grey area. Her stepfather's death scene was the one where I saw that part of her personality come out. And the last line of the book was, in particular, the strong indication of the person she had grown into. I have seen that certain tragedies and traumas slowly build around the personality of a person. Something similar seemed to happen with Natalie. As I mentioned in my review also, in the beginning, I had strong, good feelings for her. But by the end, I wasn't so sure. Something felt unsettling to me.
What do you think about that last line? What are your thoughts on Natalie's overall character arc? What do you think about Alex's death and the ending?
I also felt like she was in the grey of things. Overall Natalie grew into a very strong individual that would protect everyone she loved. At the end, I had the inkling that something like that would happen. Mentally I cheered for her, after all, she could pass it off as an accident and be rid of someone bad. Morally, I felt like she made a bad decision but I can understand what she must have been feeling.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I think the biggest growth in Natalie is
her sexual awakening, and her discovery about her Family
Xancode
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

What we are is as a result of our experiences and Natalie could not have become anything different.
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Erick Bixen »

zilizopita1998 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 03:23 The author has developed Natalie into a likable character. I felt like identifying with her.
She has been developed strongly indeed. I equally liked it.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The author has described how the character naturally change over a period of time, depending upon the circumstances it come across
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

It is appreciable that the author has shown the gradual change in attitude of Natalie as per her experience in life with growing up
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

Throughout the book, I really admired Natalie's courage, strength, and determination. She never gave up and despite the abuse, she developed into a successful person. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed reading that she was Mr. Glover's lover for 30 years. I understand her passion for him at the age of 16, but she kept doing it knowing it was wrong. She betrayed the trust of a friend that was good to her and taught her how to paint. Her past abuse is not an excuse for doing something so wrong.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Events in one's life contribute to the shaping of one's personality. It could not be denied that our experiences could break or make us. For one, a good positive achievement will bolster our self-confidence, whereas failure and defeat could drain away our trust on our capabilities and push us deeper into negativity. For anyone subjected to traumatic incidents, there is a chance that when cowardice prevails, such an individual may become a nervous wreck and leave everything to fate. On the other hand, when the individual gathers the resolve to seek justice, or to take up courage, to even the score, then the result will be a vindictive monster out to draw blood.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Of course the experiences within Natalie's life changed her character (perspective) toward evil as well as good.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

The way the scene played out with Natalie, Libby, and Alex I knew was coming. As they were approaching the bridge, I just knew. While I had hoped that the outcome would be different, I realized that in that same situation I can't say that I would have reacted differently. I don't know that I would have been able to live with myself if I had chosen as Natalie did. As for the triangle of Rosemary, Bruce, and Natalie, I have personally witnessed similar situations playing out that way in real life. It may be uncommon, but it does happen. People will talk probably, but Rosemary struck me as the type of person who marched to the beat of her own drummer.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I thought the last line was a little bit unsettling as well. It seems to me to be an allusion to her murder of Alex, whether she intended to kill him or not. I, too, sensed this shift in Natalie from innocent to morally grey, especially after Joey set fire to Sam Teagle's house and worried about going to hell for lying, to which Natalie replied, "There isn't a hell", which marked her departure from her Christian faith. Ultimately, though, I thought Alex's death was a necessary evil, especially because his impatience was what ultimately landed him in the water.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”