Importance of the Setting

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Importance of the Setting

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

Libs_Books wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 12:15 I agree that Natalie would face prejudice in almost any country, but I do think there are important differences and I suspect that there are significant differences between the USA and Australia in this respect. To take just one example, as far as I know, there is no person of Aboriginal descent who has achieved the same respect and recognition as Martin Luther King.
I think she would face just as much prejudice. Even though America has recognized and held up (a very white-washed version of) Dr. King, the average person of color experiences a LOT of prejudice just going through their day to day life. We haven't made as much progress as we would like to think.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

I don't think for a second that the modern day USA and 1950s Australia are comparable in terms of racial politics. Depending on where in the modern USA Natalie was plonked, she'd face more or less poor treatment (more in rural areas, less in San Fran or somewhere), but likely nothing compared to 1950s Aus.
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

One of the ways in which the story works is the applicability of it to any place or time. If it were to be set in America then native Americans would be used. However the story would not work as well in a city. One technique which is used is the contrast between the natural beauty around Natalie and the the trauma and abuse which she suffers.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Unfortunately, Natalie would experience racial slurs as long as she isn't considered completely caucasian.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I think it's possible that Natalie would still get the same because some whites are cruel against anyone who isn't white. But I think they would be more accepting of her now compared to the setting of the story.
Xancode
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I think the story would not be much different in America because mixed race is part and parcel of the US
tcastillo
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcastillo.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tcastillo »

The setting helps to explain Natalie as an outsider. This theme is easily transferable across history and place. The United States has a long history and present of discrimination and making sure people know their place in society. Most of us feel that in some way from time to time so I'm sure Natalie's story would still work.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Erick Bixen »

lesler wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 19:00 Yes, I absolutely think this story would be relatable if the setting was America. This story reminded me of the deep south at the turn of the 20th century, when poor farming families struggled to survive.
Yes the Southerners were very destitute in the wake of the 20th century.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Yes of course she'd be able to adapt in America's today life.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I think the Indigenous Australians have more in common with the First Nations people in the US than with African Americans.
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

I agree with other users, I think she would be treated much like people of mixed races are treated here in America. The story may not have been exactly the same, but I feel like most stories change if the setting changes.
Erick Bixen
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-bixen.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Erick Bixen »

lesler wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 19:00 Yes, I absolutely think this story would be relatable if the setting was America. This story reminded me of the deep south at the turn of the 20th century, when poor farming families struggled to survive.
I have heard severally the plight that the southerners went through in the 20th century.
Morganncall
Favorite Book: Exemplary Tales of Love and Tales of Disillusion
Currently Reading: Daughter of Fortune
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganncall.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Morganncall »

I am one to believe that you could take almost any story and set it in modern times and make in believable because at the heart of every story, there are the same notes about humanity. In fact, setting this story in a modern time might actually help to highlight some of the important themes of the book.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I still believe the story would be relatable and believable if set in America, with Natalie black or Hispanic or similar. People of colour in the US arguably face the same - and sometimes worse - challenges and prejudice as Aboriginal people do in Australia.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Setting is important because it shapes a person's identity. In addition to this, there is strength in numbers. Being a part of a small, marginalized group like the Aborigines in Australia, unfortunately, makes these people vulnerable to discrimination.

Even in a country with lots of immigrants and people of all different backgrounds, there is still division. So if the setting changed to America, I think she would still face the same challenges.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”