Importance of the Setting

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Re: Importance of the Setting

Post by crediblereading2 »

If Natalie's character is taken out of its original setting and place in America, and if all the other relatable characters are still within her space, I believe she would still be treated in the same manner. Maybe American laws could positively or negatively influence some of the situations.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

A lot of variables influence one's reaction to a setting; contextual challenges, opportunities, communal expectations/prejudice, etc.
6912dirtyfeet
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 6912dirtyfeet »

Since race is a big issue these days, Natalie actually experienced what any mixed 16 year old would today, the only difference is Natalie was not called a slut or talked about by other kids. Today bi-racial kids are going through some hard issues and putting that together with everything else is why kids commit crimes, shoot up schools etc. If you really think about it it was easier for Natalie back then than it would be for a teenager in the world we live in today. :?:
rusalka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rusalka.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by rusalka »

America is many things, but kind to those that are different? Not necessarily always. There’s a good chance Natalie would be facing even more issues somewhere further away from her native land, with people that have a skewed view of the history (or none at all, for that matter). Even if Natalie was a Native American, that would instantly change many options for her, as she might have even lived in a reservation.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Since it a global movement for countries to be more inclusive of different races from White, I think we still have a long way to go into realising that. So Natalie could be accepted into the current Australia, but that may not be easy.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It is hard for me to fathom the setting being in American in this day and age because the author did such a good job of putting this story in that time period and that place. However, I think more opportunities would have been available to her here, and I am not so sure that her aboriginal heritage would have made that much of a difference. The trouble still would have existed no matter where she lived or in what time period because domestic abuse does not care about color, creed or setting. She may have been able to get more help in America from a social worker and by calling CPS to come out to the home and having Alex removed. Her mother would have most definitely been taken to task on that as well. All of this would change the entire story though. The author did a great job of setting it all into motion.
Everything happens for a reason...
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I think the setting, rural Australia in the early 1950s, shaped the characters, especially the men, to such a degree that the story could not work if it was set somewhere else, or at a different time.

We see that in the characters’ speech, which the author has pretty faithfully rendered, but also in their worldviews.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

This story could be easily set in America and still feel believable. Sadly racism knows no boundaries and mixed races sometimes have it worse, because they don't fit in one race and this makes it harder to get accepted.
Berry :wine:
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I think that this would generally be applicable in most countries with Natalie being of a mix of any race. I think that it could be similar if the setting was in the US, especially in the southern states where race plays a large part in how people were treated
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

If the story is placed in North America or any other part of the world where still exist aboriginals or mixed races, the story will be relatable. Even today there are a lot of racial issues around the world.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

lesler wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 19:00 Yes, I absolutely think this story would be relatable if the setting was America. This story reminded me of the deep south at the turn of the 20th century, when poor farming families struggled to survive.
That's exactly what I was thinking. There are still poor Americans struggling every day. And the fact that she's of Aboriginal descent, which is probably most relatable to the experience of Native Americans. I think it's more than jsut relatable. I think it's analogous.
Richard Whitehead
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Richard Whitehead »

FilmStar wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 12:44 I think it's possible that Natalie would still get some hate for being part Aboriginal as people are cruel against anyone who isn't white. But I think they would be more accepting of her now compared to the setting of the story.
This seems possible.
Richard Whitehead

I tend to think that she would still have to face the same fate even in the USA but now she would play the roles of native Mexicans, native Americans and African-Americans.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I think this story could be relatable in America today. Racism and discrimination are still much stronger than we would like to believe. I believe that bringing into a modern setting may change story a little as people have come a long way with racial stereotypes. For instance you only need to go back to Lincoln being President to experience slavery and radical racism whereas today the world has improved. However, I do believe it still has a long way to go for equality.
Richard Whitehead

FilmStar wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 12:44 I think it's possible that Natalie would still get some hate for being part Aboriginal as people are cruel against anyone who isn't white. But I think they would be more accepting of her now compared to the setting of the story.
This sounds true.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”