Preventing Alex's blow up about Libby

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Preventing Alex's blow up about Libby

Post by Heidi Finger »

I thought the plan for Natalie to hide the heifer was pure genius when when she was doing it. Her co-worker had extra pasture that needed to be kept down, her heifer needed a place to stay, perfect. The long 4 mile trek didn't seem too terrible either because she had it all planned out and had the tools she needed. The genius part of it slipped away when Alex found out the cow was gone. There was no plan to keep him from exploding.

Do you think there was another way to take care of the situation that would have prevented someone from getting pulverized by Alex?
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I don't see what she could have done - maybe, if she'd won her sister over that might have helped. However, this man was already an abuser, so I think it was only a matter of time before he picked on Natalie in one of his drunken rages. If it wasn't the heifer, he would have found something else.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

There didn't seem to be another way if she really wanted to keep Libby. Natalie must have known that he would explode but not anticipated that it would be so extreme. While he was abusive, he had never lost control so completely. It seemed a way for the author to communicate how bad the alcoholism was becoming. I don't think Natalie expected Shirley to betray her; Shirley was old enough to know how her father would react.
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi Finger »

Libs_Books wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 12:34 I don't see what she could have done - maybe, if she'd won her sister over that might have helped. However, this man was already an abuser, so I think it was only a matter of time before he picked on Natalie in one of his drunken rages. If it wasn't the heifer, he would have found something else.
I agree, that it was only a matter of time. Shirley definitely didn't help
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

Libs_Books wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 12:34 I don't see what she could have done - maybe, if she'd won her sister over that might have helped. However, this man was already an abuser, so I think it was only a matter of time before he picked on Natalie in one of his drunken rages. If it wasn't the heifer, he would have found something else.
Agreed. He was a loose cannon and would have found an outlet somewhere. Better it was the heifer in that instance.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I think Alex was always looking for an excuse to beat Natalie to a pulp to help relieve his anger issues. Alex with his hair trigger anger and alcoholism was always going to find some place of contention with her. I liked the idea of her hiding the heifer, and we see in that act a way of self preservation without involving her siblings to protect them. Natalie had to work the system she was in so she could keep all of her responsibilities balanced. She was tip toeing through life and hanging on to her most prized possession while dealing with an unstable household. That heifer was her lifeline to something normal.
Everything happens for a reason...
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

There are always consequences for your actions. Her choices were submit or fight back. She chose to defy Alex and she knew there would be consequences for that choice. She might not have known exactly what would happen, but she knew she'd rather face that then live a life subservient to others.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I think it was very bold and brace of her to hide Libby. She knew she would receive consequences but Libby was worth it to her.
AlexisMersino
Currently Reading: King's Cage
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexismersino.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlexisMersino »

I don't believe that Natalie could have done anything to prevent Alex from blowing up. Considering the fact that he was a raging alcoholic, I think anyone could have seen how he would take it from a mile away. I think Natalie fully expected it as well. I remember her making a statement about it even though I don't remember what it was specifically. I still think that her plan was utter genius, regardless of how Alex took it. I also found it hilarious that she planned leaving the gate open to confuse him and send him on a wild goose chase!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

heidifinger wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 11:06 I thought the plan for Natalie to hide the heifer was pure genius when she was doing it. Her co-worker had extra pasture that needed to be kept down, her heifer needed a place to stay, perfect. The long 4-mile trek didn't seem too terrible either because she had it all planned out and had the tools she needed. The genius part of it slipped away when Alex found out the cow was gone. There was no plan to keep him from exploding.

Do you think there was another way to take care of the situation that would have prevented someone from getting pulverized by Alex?
I don't think there was much else that could have been done. It was more the fact Natalie wanted to be two steps ahead of Alex and she knew of the possibility since he regularly would beat up Joey.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I think Alex was always looking for an excuse to beat Natalie to help relieve his anger issues.
Xancode
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

heidifinger wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 08:58
I agree, that it was only a matter of time. Shirley definitely didn't help
Indeed. It would have been a matter of time before Natalie realised what an abuser she was dealing with. Alcoholism sucks.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I agree with this, abusers can always find reasons to vent their anger at life, even if it wasn't the heifer, it was going to be something else. Alex's rage could only be postponed not forestalled, the only thing that might have changed would have been the target of his rage.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I think that Alex was going to explode, regardless of what Natalie did with Libby. Slipping the heifer away to a nearby neighbor's farm was, in my opinion, Natalie's only option to keep her precious heifer from being sold to an awful man. As much as I hated to read about Alex's abuse of Natalie, I can't really think of another way around it, with Alex being as controlling and dictator-like as he is.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

cpru68 wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 17:42 I think Alex was always looking for an excuse to beat Natalie to a pulp to help relieve his anger issues. Alex with his hair trigger anger and alcoholism was always going to find some place of contention with her. I liked the idea of her hiding the heifer, and we see in that act a way of self preservation without involving her siblings to protect them. Natalie had to work the system she was in so she could keep all of her responsibilities balanced. She was tip toeing through life and hanging on to her most prized possession while dealing with an unstable household. That heifer was her lifeline to something normal.
I agree with you entirely. Alex had issues that were going to make him explode, regardless of who it was against. Since Natalie is only his step-child and not his biological child, it only makes sense that he would target her, as the "odd one out". Alex is an abuser who would've snapped, regardless of what Natalie had done differently to resist his plans to sell Libby.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”