What could you tell her?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Re: What could you tell her?

Post by Raya raymond »

I'd tell Natalie that she's one of the strongest women I've read about and I look up to her in so many ways. I'd tell Natalie's mother that it's okay to be afraid, everyone is afraid of something but we need to rise above that fear for the the people we love, and for ourselves.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

bigirimanacelestin wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 10:46 After all hardishps that Natalie faced, for her step father and all works she did to protect her mother and her siblings; what could you tell her or someone like her if you has a chance to meet her? What could you tell either Alex or Natalie's mother?
I'd tell Natalie to keep being a pillar of strength for her family. I'd tell Alex to get his act together and stop being a bully. As for Irma? I would tell her that she needs to stand up to Alex and kick him out.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

I would tell Natalie that I'm so proud of what she did but for Alex he have demoralized his entire family because of his short comings, failures, and insecurities. Provoking your children is bad.
Xancode
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I could tell Natalie's mother and many like her that children need to have their lives. She should have been able to stand for herself to save Natalie from such a ruined life.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I would tell Natalie how proud i am of her and that she is a brave young woman. That she should keep on with her spirit and never let her situations define who she is.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
lisamcogutu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisamcogutu.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by lisamcogutu »

I think I'd first brace her hard and congratulate her for her toughness abd kind heartedness. It's not an easy task to really suffer on other's behalf. She's an epitome of true leadership, that's what I'd tell her.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I really don't think I could say it any better than Jamasenu did. But, I would tell Natalie that everyone determines their own future by the choices they make today. She made the best of her situation and that was a feat on its own. As for Alex, no man abuses a woman or child. You are a weak boy. An eye for an eye. As for her mother, you are a coward and not worthy of the title. A mother protects her children no matter the circumstances or consequences to herself.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

To Natalie, I would say that I am proud of her courage to stand up for her beliefs and her strength to never give up despite the constant abuse. To Irma, I would say that her submissiveness is ruining her children's lives and I don't understand how she can call herself a mother after staying with the man that almost beat her child to death.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I would simply tell and encourage them all: "these things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" and that "they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death".
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

What I could have told either Alex or Natalie's mother is that family life is not like a game of bullying, but facing realities of life with a sober mind and not hiding in either shyness or alcoholism.

Alex should have been told that man is a Head of the family, who should not only love, care and provide for his family, but also protect them from being abused by others, and not him. Since parenting is the most difficult task for a father, then he should have endeavored to love and care for as Natalie’s stepdaughter, especially that her biological father was dead.

As for Irma, Natalie’s mother, it was naïve for her to neglect a precious gift God gave her (Natalie) by being soft to the stepfather‘s abusive behavior when other women do even have a child.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I would tell her that she is an amazing person and that she did a great job in taking care of her mother. He compassion and care were priceless and very few people can fit in her shoes.
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

What could I tell Natalie or someone like her if I had a chance to meet her? Natalie you have a strong character a woman deserves, and you are an inspiration to other women. Indeed, a woman needs Natalie’s character for her to protect her children as a mother.

What could you tell either Alex or Natalie's mother? Irma, Natalie’s mother, failed to protect her children when the children needed her protection most from their abusive stepfather. Natalie was the most precious gift God gave her than Alex.

Children are gift from God, and women should treasure in their hearts such gifts as many other women who do not have desires to have children.

As for Alex, a man is Head of a family and God expects him to only provide for them, love and care but also to protect his children from those who could abuse them. Alex, as a stepfather, he could have demonstrated love and care for Natalie, especially that his biological father was dead.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Jamasenu wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 21:03
bigirimanacelestin wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 10:46 After all hardishps that Natalie faced, for her step father and all works she did to protect her mother and her siblings; what could you tell her or someone like her if you has a chance to meet her? What could you tell either Alex or Natalie's mother?
I would tell Natalie that I'm so proud that she didn't allow her circumstances to determine her future. Also, she's a real survivor and could help others with her story. I would tell her, her inner strength, drive and belief in herself makes her a beautiful young woman.

For Alex: Provoking your children to anger is a sin in God's eyes. You have demoralized your entire family because of your short comings, failures, and insecurities. Being a bully is nothing. Being a man is to earn respect, love, and appreciation from your family. You have destroyed all three.

For Irma: You lost your self-respect, self-esteem, and self-worth. You allowed your older kids step-father to verbally and physically abuse them. Why? Because you didn't think you had any choice in the matter. Is this how you wish to live the rest of your life? It may not be too late....
Perfectly said.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 »

I would applaud her bravery and encourage her to share her story. So many girls are probably going through what she went through and are in dire need of some inspiration
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I wish I knew just what to say here. But he ing read about her role reversal with her mother and how she took care of her siblings, I'd tell her: 'You were strong, and you'll always be.'
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”