Most valuable lesson from Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
LeaNyathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanyathi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Most valuable lesson from Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by LeaNyathi »

What is the most valuable lesson that you learnt from Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnne? What is something that you would take with you for the rest of you life, that you learnt from this book?
Mr Justin
Favorite Book: Sky in June
Currently Reading: Russia's Biggest Hack
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-justin.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mr Justin »

The valuable lesson from the book Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane is that life is a school. You will only graduate when you die or leave this world to be with your heavenly Father, God.
However, in the case of Natalie’s the story of child abuse, the major lesson is that women, if they are either divorced or widowed, they should never commit themselves to re-marry a man who has not committed to love their children as he loves them.
They should only re-marry a man once he commits himself to loving them as well as their children borne from another man.
But if they are already in a marriage where a stepfather is abusing their children, then they should quickly tell off their husbands that they would not tolerate such behavior.
LeaNyathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanyathi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by LeaNyathi »

zod wrote: 08 May 2018, 11:08 The valuable lesson from the book Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane is that life is a school. You will only graduate when you die or leave this world to be with your heavenly Father, God.
However, in the case of Natalie’s the story of child abuse, the major lesson is that women, if they are either divorced or widowed, they should never commit themselves to re-marry a man who has not committed to love their children as he loves them.
They should only re-marry a man once he commits himself to loving them as well as their children borne from another man.
But if they are already in a marriage where a stepfather is abusing their children, then they should quickly tell off their husbands that they would not tolerate such behavior.
I agree. Not all stepfathers are bad, but when you hear of such horrible stories as depicted in this book it just makes you wonder whether or not the woman was selfish when picking their next life partner. Thanks for the comment.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

The takeaway from me is that life is a marathon and not a sprint. There will be good times and bad times but it is how one preserves that determines what can of life we have. In the book and in life a mother must always choose wisely what type of man she will allow to build a relationship with her children. In my opinion, most times the man who wishes a relationship with a women who has children from a previous relationship will try to build a good relationship with her children. Unforntuely, there are those men that just wants the women and will appear to like the children but truly doesn't. It is in these circumstances that a mother must listen to her children and give them the benefit of the doubt in whatever they tell her. If she suspects that something is wrong then there probably is something wrong. The biggest thing is that the mother defend her children and take them out of a bad situation. Now there are women who sadly think they are entitled to a good life no matter what and their children are an inconvenience. It is these women that cause the most harm to their children. To me there would be no man or person that I would choose over my children. It seems Natalie did not choose well.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

The most simplest, valuable lesson I've learn is to stand up and take a stand.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

The most valuable lesson that I have learned is to not be afraid to believe that what you have done is correct. Above all else, Natalie stood by her decisions, even if other people critiqued her or beat her. She didn't back down from her decision to be Bruce Glover's lover, and she remained firm in her decision to keep Libby away from Alex.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

One of the most valuable lessons from Ironbark Hill is to always persevere and fight for what you think is right. People should stand up for themselves, and should not depend on others to do it for them, especially if it could be dangerous for them. Natalie could not expect to just slack off and wait for someone else to support her decisions. Instead, she decided to take her fate into her own hands, to be able to control everything that was happening with her.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The most important lesson that I learned was to stand up for myself because no one else will.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

I love books that are exciting yet thought-provoking. The author creates a character in natalie who does just that for us. Leading us to question whether we ourselves have accepted fate as the doing of others or our own responsibility
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

I learned that you have to stand up for yourself and your children even when the circumstances aren't ideal.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Mr Justin wrote: 08 May 2018, 11:08 The valuable lesson from the book Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane is that life is a school. You will only graduate when you die or leave this world to be with your heavenly Father, God.
I totally agree with what you said Mr. Justin. It is important that whoever loves you also loves the people you love, esp your children. The only problem is that sometimes people can pretend to love your children just so that you can like them. Another very important thing for women is the last point you made, about building their strength of character so that they do not tolerate such bad behaviours towards their children from any man. A mother should be prepared to leave any man who is intolerant or abusive towards her children. She cannot place her feelings of insecurity or neediness for a man's love ahead of her children's safety.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

I have learned that I should take my responsibilities to the latter regardless of the circumstances am in.
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

I learned that, you have to stand up for your self and choose your man wisely
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

The most important lesson to be learnt here is also one of the most important lesson anyone can learn; stand up for yourself cos nobody will.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

anwidmer wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 10:27 I love books that are exciting yet thought-provoking. The author creates a character in natalie who does just that for us. Leading us to question whether we ourselves have accepted fate as the doing of others or our own responsibility
Yes, books that have you still thinking about them well after reading it, I love that!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”