Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I enjoyed reading and reviewing this book. I loved the imagery and the symbols used like the metaphor of the circus. I especially liked the usage of Tattooing as a symbol to validate the arbitrary nature of morality. Tattooing, an art that was tabooed in the past, is today a part of mainstream culture. Another imagery that fascinated me was the significance of Chico. Chico is described as a breeding ground, in which even a ‘tumbleweed’ like Gary himself can grow roots and flourish. However, I was disappointed with the writers’ treatment of the minor characters. I was especially left wanting for answers with regard to the fates of Gonad, Wubby, Lucy and the other members of the circus family, after the dismantling of the circus. I was astonished to see Duke Reynolds does not make any efforts to get in touch with his former friends once out of jail, despite describing them so fondly. Similarly, the character of Angel too was not fleshed out well. We know nothing of the source of her troubles except her drunken rants on love and hurt. Her relationship with Gary Robinson seems less convincing. These pitfalls leave you feeling that the plot has many loose ends.
lisamcogutu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisamcogutu.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by lisamcogutu »

I have read it before and I think it's awesome, not too much flaws and it's captivating as well.
I think I might read it again, though not anytime soon.
lisamcogutu
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisamcogutu.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by lisamcogutu »

I have read a review of this and I think it's nice, given for the fact that tattooed men are seen otherwise by the society. I didn't get to understand what it was quite about, buy I'll read it some time to know more.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I have just begun reading it. I haven't finished yet so it would be unfair to the author and readers to give my rating. However, just from the initial pages read it is certainly at least 3/4. I like the action based narrative style and the carnival-like landscape the author has been able to capture.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I liked the author's fast-paced style which gripped and rushed you through some frankly unbelievable stories. I assume it is based on real life as only that could be so bizarre. I found the book uneven, ranging from vivid and expressive to gauche and even sugary. Duke's story rang true. I enjoyed the circus tales and could well believe the "freaks" became a close and supportive family. Duke's addictions flowed naturally from his gypsy lifestyle and the demands of his job. I found it harder to believe in Gary's choices. He is obviously a talented youngster who threw it all away in, what, a massive rebellion at the hand life gave him? Alcohol and drugs to that extent? Obviously I am far too sheltered and conservative. Mind you, the mammoth story was hilarious! The Angel stuff and the coma made me squirm. The book needed a proofread. Tenses slipped, words were wrongly used and grammar at times was interesting. This is an author with potential. He can tell a story, but needs to fine tune his talent.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I would give it 2.5 stars. I really enjoyed the first portion about Duke and his life in the circus. I did not at all enjoy the portion about Gary. It was just a series of poor decisions made through a drunken haze. And then all of a sudden at the end we are supposed to believe he would be a totally different person?
I would recommend reading Duke's story and ending there. He provided a unique perspective and it was very different from anything I had read before. If it weren't for the uniqueness of it, I wouldn't have really enjoyed this story at all.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

adillon6 wrote: 06 May 2018, 14:45 I have not yet finished reading this book, but I have a good start. I think the story is compelling thus far, based upon what I have read to this point. I like the detail that they author adds to his description of people and items, like how he describes the biker bar's stage as being made of wooden planks stained with grease and beer.
I have come across a few spelling and grammatical errors, but these could be easily caught by a proofreader or editor, and will most likely be worked out at some point. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of this book thus far.
I agree with you on the details and descriptions. It definitely adds to the appeal.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Dolor wrote: 07 May 2018, 02:27 I have not finished reading this book because I'm still very busy. As far as I had read, I found the book entertaining because I am into the circus stunt. I would like to read on and update my opinion after reading the whole book.
I'm still working on it, too. I hope you enjoy the book!
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I would probably give this 2 stars.

I enjoyed reading it and actually read it in only about three sittings. It just felt ... rushed. I liked Duke's story more than Gary's because Gary was just too much of a mess and the things that happened to him were so crazy they were unbelievable. The ending felt rushed. I did not get the feeling that he and Duke had enough time together for Gary to be reformed. I did not like the fact that we saw Gary as an old man in the beginning, but that was never returned to.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed this book very much. The author was honest in sharing his struggles and pain. I like the way Duke was able to help Gary, counsel and guide him. I didn't like all the drug and alcohol consumption. These descriptions were very depressing, even though I believe them to be true. I think this book would be helpful for people who struggle with addictions. Reading a true story of someone who was able to overcome an addiction would give addicts hope that they too could change their lives.
Ericanielsen
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericanielsen.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ericanielsen »

I really was moved by the story, overall. With that said, there were some areas I didn’t like as much as others. I felt like the whole second half of the book felt rushed. Gary spent so much time writing Duke’s story beautifully, but seemed to just sum up his own stories. The book was entertaining, moving and a good read.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I have not completed the book as of yet, but working on it. What I have read is very interested, entertaining and a good read. I love the author's writing style of describing people, places and things in such great detail. The story line is great and flow of the writing is easy to follow. Understanding that some events are based on actual occurrences in the author's life, I would love to have read the complete story. I believe there is a message within the pages and can't wait to find out the outcome of this story.

Will report back once completion of read is done.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I just finished it and posted my review. I really enjoyed the circus elements and Duke's story. Gary's arc didn't appeal much to me. It felt too much like reading about the frat guys I avoided in college. Overall, I think the book had a solid message and touched on some important aspects of living in the moment and to the fullest. I gave it 3 stars.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Christina O Phillips wrote: 11 May 2018, 19:37 I would probably give this 2 stars.

I enjoyed reading it and actually read it in only about three sittings. It just felt ... rushed. I liked Duke's story more than Gary's because Gary was just too much of a mess and the things that happened to him were so crazy they were unbelievable. The ending felt rushed. I did not get the feeling that he and Duke had enough time together
I absolutely agree. I didn't understand why either felt so connected and invested in the other. Considering Gary wrote this, I would have expected Gary's story to seem the most genuine and relatable. Maybe he couldn't detach himself enough from his own life to really understand what parts of it a reader would be most interested in. Everything about Angel seemed very unlikely.
Also I wanted to know more about their pasts to understand them better as individuals.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Ericanielsen wrote: 12 May 2018, 00:48 I really was moved by the story, overall. With that said, there were some areas I didn’t like as much as others. I felt like the whole second half of the book felt rushed. Gary spent so much time writing Duke’s story beautifully, but seemed to just sum up his own stories. The book was entertaining, moving and a good read.
I wish this book were just about Duke. I would have liked the holes filled in and more in terms of getting to know and understand him. Gary could have just put in the intro that he wanted to write this book in honor of a friend who turned his life around. We didn't need to know any of the sordid details of his wasted years.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”