Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the May 2018 Book of the Month, The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson.

What is your overall opinion of the "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

When I read it before, I liked about half of it.(I will read it again, before the end of the month, just in case I felt as though it was my job as a reviewer to be Queen of the Hardasses or something.) I was sort of offended by the stereotype of the innocent disabled characters that always show up to show both these guys What Really Matters in life, though. Gag.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I just downloaded my review copy, so I'll be starting the book soon. I look forward to the discussion, and to reading everyone's ideas and opinions!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I really enjoyed The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid. I love learning about different groups and cultures. This one allowed me to see a part of America that is so different from what I typically think of as culture within my country. My favorite part was probably watching both Gary and Duke "save" themselves. I also enjoyed learning about different facets of the circus than I already knew. My least favorite part of the book was the graphic depictions of the drug overdoses. I also had a difficult time "watching" Duke take those dollar bills off of Gary.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I come from a fairly small community, so most of what Duke and Gary experienced seems unfathomable. Overall I did enjoy the book, but because I am State Certified Home Care Aide, it felt that the portrayal of the disabled individuals to be insensitive. I get that most of the book was going to be way beyond my own scope of experience, but I just think that the portrayal could have been different. Unless the view was meant to reflect how society viewed disabled individuals, in the certain timeline then I guess I can understand to a point.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
azerikaj
Currently Reading:

Post by azerikaj »

I agree. I think they were all stereotypes, of one kind or another. Like every woman in the book--very underwritten characters.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

azerikaj wrote: 02 May 2018, 16:13 I agree. I think they were all stereotypes, of one kind or another. Like every woman in the book--very underwritten characters.
I agree with this, and felt that is was indeed a pity that the female characters were underdeveloped.
dbartondeb
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Currently Reading: Masterminders
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by dbartondeb »

I enjoyed the book. In the beginning it drew me in with interest and kept my interest. Some wording confused the context of some sentences, but didn't stop the reading. Interesting short versions of the culture and those who live in it daily. Nothing surprised me because life is like that. Good Read
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

From the beginning, it captures one's attention. Keeps you captivated all through to the end. I think it's a must have in my bookshelf
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:

Post by azerikaj »

I agree that in a lot of ways it was gripping--I think that's why the flaws stood out so much, because I wanted to like it so much more.
adillon6
Currently Reading: Starflower
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by adillon6 »

I have not yet finished reading this book, but I have a good start. I think the story is compelling thus far, based upon what I have read to this point. I like the detail that they author adds to his description of people and items, like how he describes the biker bar's stage as being made of wooden planks stained with grease and beer.
I have come across a few spelling and grammatical errors, but these could be easily caught by a proofreader or editor, and will most likely be worked out at some point. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of this book thus far.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I have not finished reading this book because I'm still very busy. As far as I had read, I found the book entertaining because I am into the circus stunt. I would like to read on and update my opinion after reading the whole book.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I am very excited to read all your reviews about it as I was not able to get a copy for the review. However, basing on the ones I have read, this is interesting. The 4 out of 4 rating is well deserved perhaps.

The title is already appealing. I thought it was all about action and adventure but I think it is more than it seems.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

Overall I liked the book but I thought there were a lot of character interactions that didn't make sense. For the life of me, I can't understand why Angel would be attracted to the addict she's never interacted with. She seems deeply in love and she liked him before the 4th of July moment they had. Also, Gary as a character irritated me. Most flawed characters have something good to draw you in, but other thank knowing he gets better, Gary is incredibly unlikable and selfish.

This book was made by Duke, and he was further embellished by how he affected Gary.
Catherine Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-davis.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Catherine Davis »

I'm 15% into the book. I'm really started to get into it now because he is reflecting back on how he came to be a sword swallower. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I just might!

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”