Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I thought the book was nice and I have to admit it exceeded my expectations
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

I already read the book. The similarities and differences between the characters may bring life to the story. The struggles and the way they overcome it may give inspiration to the others. I think this story would give light to those people having a tough battle in life. I would recommend it.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I'm always excited to learn about a different part of our culture or community when I read and this book appears to have a very diverse mix of characters and settings to keep me entertained while learning. I'll add this book to my list as soon as I can track down a copy.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I really love how the two characters manage to live their own lives despite their numerous struggles. They are happy even though they know how unfruitful their lives are at first. I did not like the adventures that the Chico kid was involved with at first.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

asere_maryanne wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 03:26 I really love how the two characters manage to live their own lives despite their numerous struggles. They are happy even though they know how unfruitful their lives are at first. I did not like the adventures that the Chico kid was involved with at first.
I must confess i almost got lost in the adventures too untill i settle down and read it with precision. The book was quite enjoyable with characters with diversity.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I might give this book a try. It's been appearing everywhere
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Ann10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann10.html
Latest Review: Apparent Faith by Karl Forehand

Post by Ann10 »

I liked learning about the life of a circus performer but did not care for the graphic escapades that Gary participated in. It was TMI for me.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

azerikaj wrote: 01 May 2018, 14:51 When I read it before, I liked about half of it.(I will read it again, before the end of the month, just in case I felt as though it was my job as a reviewer to be Queen of the Hardasses or something.) I was sort of offended by the stereotype of the innocent disabled characters that always show up to show both these guys What Really Matters in life, though. Gag.
I'm reading it now and (about 40% done) and I'm not very impressed. I might have to join you in the Queen of the Hardass Reviewer Club because I'm starting to think that 4 star reviews are cheap around here.

Not only are all his friends angels, but this guy is a superhero, guzzling vodka and meth for years and still able to function.

:angelic-cyan:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

l_wilder7 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 20:45 I just finished it and I have some mixed feelings about it. The kid in me loves the circus aspect of the story, and overall it was quite touching. However, it could have used a more thorough edit for sure. :techie-studyingbrown:
I agree with your point about editing. There were times I was asking myself "Who is telling this story?" because of the way the viewpoint changed.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Stonejones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stonejones »

:techie-studyingbrown: the book is interesting and have done 40% of it
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

FictionLover wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 06:36
azerikaj wrote: 01 May 2018, 14:51 When I read it before, I liked about half of it.(I will read it again, before the end of the month, just in case I felt as though it was my job as a reviewer to be Queen of the Hardasses or something.) I was sort of offended by the stereotype of the innocent disabled characters that always show up to show both these guys What Really Matters in life, though. Gag.
I'm reading it now and (about 40% done) and I'm not very impressed. I might have to join you in the Queen of the Hardass Reviewer Club because I'm starting to think that 4 star reviews are cheap around here.

Not only are all his friends angels, but this guy is a superhero, guzzling vodka and meth for years and still able to function.

Oh, I am a hard-ass reviewer, I just needed to be sure I wasn't unfair because this book has some of my least favorite tropes in it. From what I understand, about the drug issue, human bodies, especially young ones, can take a fair bit of punishment. However, given that the narrator(and presumably the author) supposedly faced his issues, there does seem to be some denial in it. Feel you on the 4 stars.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

azerikaj wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 19:54
FictionLover wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 06:36

Oh, I am a hard-ass reviewer, I just needed to be sure I wasn't unfair because this book has some of my least favorite tropes in it. From what I understand, about the drug issue, human bodies, especially young ones, can take a fair bit of punishment. However, given that the narrator(and presumably the author) supposedly faced his issues, there does seem to be some denial in it. Feel you on the 4 stars.
Yes, younger people can tolerate and lot and bounce back. But not with meth, not for years.

:tiphat:
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

kind of sanitized. Except for vomit! Plenty of that in most of the chapters.
braithwaite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by braithwaite »

I loved the story. The friendship that developed between Gary and Chico kid was fascinating
nicoledsewell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by nicoledsewell »

I mean some parts of the book I thought were kinda mean... It wasn't a bad book... I'm give it a 6

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”