Which Character Do You Prefer?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Which Character Do You Prefer?

Post by meadhbh »

This book follows the lives of two very different characters - Duke, a sword-swallower, and Gary Robinson, a college graduate. Which of these two characters did you prefer and why? Whose story did you find more compelling?
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Duke was always in touch with his demons. He understood the risks and consequences of his actions, but still made the choices he did. I liked this flawed character because he took ownership of his choices.

Gary, well, Gary didn't make choices. Gary just hedonistically drifts from one bad decision to another. He turns his life around but we aren't witnesses to that transformative stage of his life--just to the wild years and the events that occur decades later.
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

Definitely Duke. Gary seems fascinating and interesting at first, but all his shenanigans get old. Duke has a more mature approach to life.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Although I do not like that both characters ended up being alcoholics, Duke is more interesting compared to Gary. He does not do things in an aimless manner-he always knows what he is getting himself into, unlike Gary who seems to have lost it all.
Rattyhatty
Favorite Author: Mercedes Lackey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rattyhatty.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
fav_author_id: 2531

Post by Rattyhatty »

Duke, definitely. Duke as a character is much more interesting then Gary. I find that Duke seems more realistic to me than Gary. More relatable. Duke has a very strong motivation while Gary seems to lack it.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

On the surface, I really preferred the story around Duke. I agree with the comment that Gary aimlessly wanders without any real development but later in the book, I wonder if we're only exposed to his oblivion because there were points where others in the community recognized or characterized him and he was surprised. I think I preferred Duke because I got to "know" him, I didn't get the same investment in Gary.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Duke was more interesting to me as a character, while Gary seemed more of a rich kid that could do what he wanted. Duke just intended to live a better life, but it didn't work out like that.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Duke is interesting because he accepts himself the way he is, with all his flaws. While he does have an inner voice that tells him he should change, he knows that he won’t. And he is okay with that. Gary, on the other hand, can’t seem to find who he is or his place in the world. He seeks the contentment that Duke has found but lacks the strength to grab it. I think the two are mirror images. It also explains Gary’s heartbreak at Duke’s death. In the end, Gary has an idyllic life. And I think he credits that to Duke. So Duke is the hero, and Gary if the foil. It is the opposite of what society accepts.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I don't think I can say that I liked one of them more than the other. They were different from each other but also shared many commonalities. They both became better through their trials and tribulations. I hope that Gary writes a "part 2" of his life, sharing more of the life he and Angel built together.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I liked Duke better. I liked his story more and was more interested in what happened to him. Gary was interesting, too, but to a lesser degree. He just did not learn nor really seemed to be that interested in growing. Maybe if I had seen Gary change the way we got to see with Duke I would have found Gary to be more interesting.
lmvartanian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmvartanian.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by lmvartanian »

Both of these characters annoyed me to an extent. The way they both willing accepted making poor choices and did little to make good choices or change their behaviors or attitudes was very frustrating. Both of them appear to let life happen to them, as opposed to taking charge of their lives. I would have to say that Duke annoyed me less than Gary, but only marginally so. This is because Duke appears to have finally grown up a bit before meeting Gary (which is a good thing since he was nearly 70 at the time), and is willing to take some responsibility for his actions and choices.
sophiemer642
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 97930">The Popularity Papers (The Popularity Papers #1)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114

Post by sophiemer642 »

I believe Gary was more realistic in terms, and that is what I liked about him. He is very confused, and many of us can relate to him. All of us are confused at some point in out lives, and Gary really was confused. He did not know his place in life.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

P0tt3ry wrote: 03 May 2018, 17:35 Duke was always in touch with his demons. He understood the risks and consequences of his actions, but still made the choices he did. I liked this flawed character because he took ownership of his choices.

Gary, well, Gary didn't make choices. Gary just hedonistically drifts from one bad decision to another. He turns his life around but we aren't witnesses to that transformative stage of his life--just to the wild years and the events that occur decades later.
That is disappointing that the book does not show how Gary finds his healing from addiction. That is the part of the story I would like most.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

meadhbh wrote: 02 May 2018, 09:58 This book follows the lives of two very different characters - Duke, a sword-swallower, and Gary Robinson, a college graduate. Which of these two characters did you prefer and why? Whose story did you find more compelling?
I don't like both characters due to their love for alcohol. However, I admire their circus stunt.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I think both characters were interesting in their own way although I could identify with neither. However, as a character-driven book, I think the book thematically touches upon the paradox of hedonism in the character of Gary Robinson; which claims the pursuit of pleasure can be self-defeating. Constant pleasure-seeking may not yield lasting pleasure or happiness in the long run. In other words, in order to be happy, we must aim at things other than one’s own happiness. This is justified in the character of Gary Robinson whose hedonistic lifestyle only begets misery and depression.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”