Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Re: Would Duke be as memorable without his tattoos?

Post by Jkhorner »

I agree with many of the other commenters - the tattoos served to draw attention (which is vital in a performer, and thereby contributes to his success), but there are far more tattooed people than sword swallowers in the world. He wouldn't need that tattoos to be identified by the public; people would just say "remember that sword-swallower?" rather than "remember that really tattooed guy? Oh yeah, he also swallowed swords?" So I think Duke's tattoos were more important to him than to his overall success.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 08 May 2018, 11:54 As a reader, I think it is Duke's personality that makes him memorable. Sure, his tattoos are pretty cool. I loved how much he reveled in them and the special meaning that each one had, but I think his personality on the stage is what keeps people riveted to his performances. The tattoos just catch people's attention to watch him in the first place.
Very nice description and good way of looking at it!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Mr Justin wrote: 11 May 2018, 06:57 Duke Reynolds would not have been memorable in the mind of his audience at the circus without the tattoos.
Believe me or not his audience thronged his shows at the circus not because they loved to watch him perform a fake act, but they were attracted to him by his tattoos.
The tattoos told a bigger story about his invisible character than his visible character.
Similarly, in today’s world people inwardly questions the character of those of whose arms or legs have tattoos.
Biblically, it’s spiritually and morally wrong to mark tattoos on the any part of one’s body.
Interestingly, in Africa, it’s also a taboo for one to mark tattoos on any part of the body.
I love this description! And the cultural and historical points about tattoos!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I think that at the time period where this novel is based, the tattoos may have stood out before he even did his act. Now, I think that people would focus on the act more than the tattoos.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I think the tattoos help, but it is the talent and personality that makes Duke so memorable.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

In my opinion, tattoos do not determine who you are as a person. Duke has tats for reasons he find valid for him. Maybe he wanted to express his creativity through this artform. Nowadays, the way that I see it, this body art seemed to be just a person's way of being included in the "in world." They wanted to belong. Imagine a lady wearing off shoulders during a storm just to expose that design at her back? Or a man going to his work in shorts so that the design of inverted cross in each of his calf will be seen by many? I have nothing against tattooed people because I would like one if I had my way; it is just that there were a lot times the way it was handled was not cool.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I feel Duke's character is more memorable but that may just be because I'm only a reader and not a character of this book I assume his tattoo would be very memorable if I ever encounter him.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Duke's personality says it all for him. But tattoos are something that catches attention at a single glance, even before you get to know that person. In this case I believe that Duke's tattoos were an integral part of his personality.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I think the tattoos served as an attention grabber, but his awesome acts and his character are what make him memorable.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

His tattoos made him stand out more. They gave him the recognition. But I think his personality contributed to his success. I remember him more for his tattoos though.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think what makes Duke memorable is his personality and the will to be himself. The tattoos are just an expression of this aspect of him.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

I definitely think it helps. You don't want a sword swallower to look like the guy who does your taxes.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think it's a combination of Duke's tattoos and personality that make him such a well developed character. HIs tattoos definitely made him standout, but it was his personality that attracted people to him.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Keri wood
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keri-wood.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Keri wood »

Personally I don't think so tattoos in my eyes is depiction of a person's peesonallity.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

His tattoos only have such a large significance because of the setting. Today, Duke's tattoos would be nothing out of the ordinary. Also, Duke's personality is what makes him truly memorable. I wonder what the first thing people noticed about Duke would be if he did not have the tattoos.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”