"All you have is today."

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Re: "All you have is today."

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

indulgence on the past is absolutely foolish! We don't actually live in the past. Life is for the present and the future.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

It's good to remember the past, it helps you decide what to do. It's good to prepare and be ready for the future, otherwise you will be stuck in a loop. But making either of these the focus of your life will bring anxiety and depression. Best focus on today by using your memory of yesterday and your knowledge of tomorrow.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

I think Duke learned this lesson with time, as his character seemed to grow substantially throughout the novel. I try to live by this but I personally struggle. I find myself worrying about, or even fixated on future predicaments. I try not to dwell in the past so much, just learn from it. Sometimes that is hard to do too.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Samy Lax wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 23:10 You picked one of my favorite quotes from the book. I sometimes like looking back at the past, but sometimes, it just brings back some painful memories. However, you are nothing without your past. So, I wouldn't completely ignore it at any point in time.
Correct! I agree. We learn our lessons from our past and events from the past are part of who we are today.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Though we are not told how exactly Duke achieved his turn around in lifestyle, his past greatly influenced his present. It is no wonder he could now reach out to the destitute. Our pasts shape us.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

Duke's attitude towards present is quite justified. I too hang on to my past but only for a short time and wondering about my future is none of my concern. I too prefer living in present. I can't have a past to cherish if I don't revel in my present.
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

I think for his type of lifestyle it was appropriate to have that mentality of not knowing what will happen tomorrow so live for today. For me and the type of life i am living I have to plan for the next day but I will never look back.
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

Regardless of how much someone may want to live in the current moment (carpe diem and all that), the past and the future cannot be ignored no matter how hard you try. The past still exists as a foundation for who we are. Our experiences and our past actions act as the blueprints for our personality and have weight in terms of who we will become. Our future still exists in our personal timeline even if we choose not to worry about it in the time being. The future, and which way our future will go, still matters in the present because it is largely determined by our desires and our fears and everything that motivates us.
“But need alone is not enough to set power free: there must be knowledge.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

It's a beautiful quote. There really is no time like the present. It reminded me of a speech by Steve Jobs where he said he asked himself every morning: "If today were the last day of my life, would I wanna do what I'm about to do today?"
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

I don't worry about the future too much and I wouldn't really classify myself as being stuck in the past. However I don't agree that "yesterday is just a memory."

What I mean when I say I don't agree that "yesterday is just a memory" is that certain memories carry with them negative feelings. And even though I do try to liberate myself from old negative feelings, try as I might sometimes I can't. Sometimes they're just as real today as they were when they were created. So to me that's not just a memory.

I don't know if that made much sense... But I do agree that all you have is today.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

The struggle that I have is thinking about the past and stressing over the future. It's a constant battle in my mind that keeps me up at night. I try to consciously just relax, let the past go, and enjoy the present. It's a process that I have to continually remind myself to do otherwise I get lost in my deep thoughts of regret and anxiety. I was not always this way, so I want to get back to living life to its fullest and really just enjoying the moment.
Surakshita-11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surakshita-11.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Surakshita-11 »

I think Duke tried his best to live in present but no one is unaffected from memories of past and so was he.

The best thing is always keep trying to be in present and look forward to future with great expectations and hope.This is what I believe in.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

In this day and age I don't think we can live in the present as much as we want to. Even though tomorrow is never guaranteed, there has to be some part of us that plans for the future, otherwise it's almost guaranteed we will have no future. (Like taking drugs and wasting money)
Ibeh12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibeh12.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Ibeh12 »

I think Duke dwelt much in his past, he seemed to not want to let go of it, possibly because he does not believe himself enough to take full advantage of the change that each present moment presents.

I believe in the present because that is the only reality a person can influence.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

Everyday is a gift from God, yesterday is a reflection onwards and tomorrow is full of surprises. So, better live with a smile.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”