I don't like the cover page picture

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Re: I don't like the cover page picture

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I did not like the cover page of the book. Despite being suitable for the title of the book, I would've preferred to have it less graphic and more symbolic.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

It's unfortunate you do not like the cover picture as well as the fact that it is not suitable for all ages. Sometimes we need to consider what the book has to offer. Anyway we have our own individual differences I I cannot judge you either.
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by MishM1 »

I like the cover. I did not find it disturbing but I can understand why one would. Sword swallowing can be difficult to witness, especially if you're an anxious person. Maybe it's meant to shock or maybe it's meant to lure. I found it intriguing. However, it's wise to mind the sensibilities of readers to maximise on appeal.
Oscar Osman
Currently Reading: Winning the war on cancer
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oscar-osman.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Oscar Osman »

The picture of a guy swallowing the sword at the cover page of this book did not impress me. However, it did not prevent me from reading the book.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

The illustration on the cover page is disturbing to say the least. As a person who rarely judges a book by its cover however, I gathered courage to experience the pages, the characters, the scenes. The story perhaps deserves an equally disturbing cover page illustration. This is just my take.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

For me, the cover art seems very busy. The man swallowing the sword in conjunction with the tattoos on his arm, seem to me to be a little bit too much. It just doesn't appeal to me.
jay_2
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-2.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by jay_2 »

I agree! I was, not at all, interested in the book because of the cover page/and even the title. I could’ve easily skipped this book. I’m glad I went back and gave it a second chance. I wish it were more alluring.
Adediran Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adediran-israel.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Adediran Israel »

Though the page of the book is not as fascinating as expected, there is an adage that says "you do not judge a book through its cover.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I'll be very honest...When I first saw this book, the cover actually detracted from it enough that it made me not want to read it. I don't know why this is, I have no explanation for it other than I simply did not like it. I have always been one that first I see the cover and then the description to see if I'll enjoy a story. Perhaps this is why. But ultimately, I looked past the cover.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I never judge a book by it's cover. So long as the message is delivered, that is all that matters to me.
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

Okay, you most definitely have a great point with this post. When I first saw the cover of the book I was not drawn to reading the book in any way. I was actually quite put off from reading the book due to the cover even though I am an extremely open-minded individual. So, when this book was offered to me for review, it took me a good minute to figure out if I truly wanted to read the story. I have to say that I am pleased that I did not judge the book by its cover. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire story, especially reading about Duke and his sword swallowing.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

On the contrary, I liked the cover as it made me more curious to read the book. I guess it was not meant for everyone but I found it beautiful.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

After reading the book, I find that the cover fits perfectly with the story it tales.
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I neither love nor hate the cover. For me, it's a bit of a conundrum. The sword swallowing is exciting but the scene is uneventful. The image stands out because there's just enough colour and quite a few people in it, but on closer inspection, the people just look random, such is the nature of any audience I suppose.

As an adult, I'm no longer interested in the circus and such acts, the closest I get to seeing anything like this is Britain's Got Talent. If I was to see this book, as much as the tattooed man interests me, there is not enough about the cover that entices me to pick up the book to read more. If the author wanted to captivate me with this story, he would have to hope that I come across a really good review. A picture really does tell a thousand words, but in this case, the words are too washed out for.

As an aside... Loving the profile picture of Christiano reading the Orhan Pamuk book. My favourite story of his to date.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Me too!! I don't think the cover page does justice to the beautiful content of the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”