Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Re: Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I hear ya! But, unlike The Da Vinci Code, the movie by Dan Brown, I find that The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci is about past lovers who expose themselves to modern-day lovers, regarding Leonardo da Vinci's most infamous secret painting. Or shall we say the painting that no one ever thought existed? However, I also believe the similarities detract from the book for because I kept referring back to The Da Vinci Code.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The similarities lie in the name of the author.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

From reading the blurb I got Da Vinci Code vibes but from other comments it seems that the novels take two different paths.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I think the only similarity was the fact that Da Vinci was mentioned. They have different storylines. Rather disappointing!
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

This book is more of a mix of genres and focuses on the human element more than the cryptic mystery of the painting. I can see where the assumption of similarity would be, but reading the story it doesn't remind me of it at all.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

The Da Vinci Code is one of my favourites and I must say that the title of this book (The Girl Who Kew Da Vinci) reminded me of it. It also reminded me of a show that used to air a couple of years ago, Da Vinci's Demons. Though it was set in the time of Da Vinci (it was based on his life and adventures as a young man, however it was more true to fantasy than reality), it, too, shared some similarities that you have mentioned. Finding clues in arts, going places to find something of questionable existence, and running against time. I think that since Da Vinci was connected to art, every story with his involvement will include art in one way or another. And other themes are pretty common too. Writers use them all the time. What matters is how they present it to the readers.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, I don't really care for similarities all I care for is a good story. Themes will always have similar threads that run through them, it's the delivery that will set them apart.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I think Dan Brown's books are more complex and mind bending in nature. This book not so much but that's not to say that it isn't a good read
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

Definitely. The books share so many similarities. For instance, romance.
xBibliobibulix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xbibliobibulix.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by xBibliobibulix »

I thoroughly enjoyed both The Girl Who Knew da Vinci and The Da Vinci Code. I think the art subject is definitely a concurrent theme through both books. The Da Vinci Code is definitely more of a puzzle like thriller compared to The Girl Who Knew da Vinci which is more of a relaxing read.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

It reminded me a little of the DaVinci Code, but the Davinci code was much more about hidden riddles and secret identities.

It also reminds me of a book called The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson which is about a man who is injured in a car accident who then meets a woman in the hospital - (she is a sculptress who is working on a gargoyle, if I remember right) who claims they have have been lovers in several past lifetimes and she tells him the stories of their past lives.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
hardex123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by hardex123 »

I think the only resemblance is the name of the great artist. the two books have different themes so I don't see a necessity to see common things
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I really didn't see too many similarities between the two books, with the exception of the name da Vinci of course. The Da Vinci Code was all about tackling ancient puzzles, with many surprise plot twists popping up throughout the novel. The only real puzzle in The Girl Who Knew da Vinci was figuring out the location of the painting, but even that wasn't figured out with logic and knowledge, but more so do to flashes of a past life.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, I must be the only one who hasn't read the Da Vinci Code yet so I wouldn't know if there are more similarities than differences. I best put an end to this ignorance real quick!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Telo_2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-telo-2018.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Telo_2018 »

As far as the themes of this book are concerned, the only similarity I see is in the title.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”