Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Post by NL Hartje »

I suppose I’ve always compared books, but that’s more of a flaw in my nature than any real error of the authors.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci reminds me of Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code in so many ways.

First, there’s obviously the presiding canvas of art history, but then add that, in both books, the characters search for an item that has a questionable existence at best. There is also the aspect of fantastically changing settings as characters race against a clock.

Do you find similarities too, or am I fishing?

Do the similarities add or detract from the book for you?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think the only resemblance is the name of the great artist. the two books have different themes so I don't see a necessity to see common things
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I agree there are a few similaries such as the search for an item, the obvious art history theme, and different settings. However, I think the books are not comparable otherwise. The Girl Who Knew da Vinci has a more simplistic plot with few clues and a beach read-style romance element. The Da Vinci Code contains historical subject matter that has been well researched and a more complex plot with codes and a type of treasure hunt. Also, it's a more serious book and Dan Brown's writing is in a completely different league. Just my opinion.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:21 I think the only resemblance is the name of the great artist. the two books have different themes so I don't see a necessity to see common things
I would love to hear more about why you feel they're so different! Do you disagree with the similar themes I listed above? :techie-studyingbrown:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:28 The Girl Who Knew da Vinci has a more simplistic plot with few clues and a beach read-style romance element.
Yes, you're right that the romance certainly separates them!

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:28 Also, it's a more serious book and Dan Brown's writing is in a completely different league. Just my opinion.
Can't argue with you there! :lol2:
-Dr. Seuss
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

NL Hartje wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:43
Sushan wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:21 I think the only resemblance is the name of the great artist. the two books have different themes so I don't see a necessity to see common things
I would love to hear more about why you feel they're so different! Do you disagree with the similar themes I listed above? :techie-studyingbrown:
Yes I agree with what you say. Yet, I think the two stories run in different pathways under different themes so, I don't see much similarity
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

On the whole, I agree with what Bookowlie previously said. At first, I was struck and somehow frustrated by the resemblance of the two covers, but as I started reading the book, I realized the similarities do not go so far. As far as I remember, there's no romance at all between Langdon and Sophie whereas Belle Ami's novel heavily relies on romance involving not one, but three couples. I know that critics have blaimed Dan Brown for writing mass consumption novels. I wonder what would they say about this novel then? Even if I liked Dan Brown's novel more, I'd say both novels have a distinct target audience and Belle Ami did a good job in developing a decent plot.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I think you're fishing. It has references to da Vinci and his paintings, but other than that, I don't think there's a clear comparison. Da Vinci Code was a fairly serious novel combining themes of art and religion. This is a cheap romance novel desperately disguising itself as a book about art.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I agree with Bookowlie that there are more differences than similarities. Dan Brown takes years to finish a novel, with research taking up the most time, I would guess. His Da Vinci Code has complicated puzzles, intricate characters, and controversial opinions, not to mention a lot of gore. Belle Ami's novel is more lighthearted.
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

The only way this reminds me of The Da Vinci Code is because my brother is currently reading that book. Although the artists are the same in the book, the overall plot is completely difference. The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci is more romance-based, while The Da Vinci Code is mostly mystery and action.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Indeed! The title already made me think the book The Da Vinci Code the very first thing! I even thought that maybe the books have somewhat related stories or continuing plots.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I dont think they have lots of similarities. Da Vinci Code is more like a heavy read with lots of information. This one is more of adventure and romantic side.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

I think the writing pattern is far different. At first, seeing the title makes me feel somehow it's similar to the book of Dan Brown. But for me, they are not similar. Dan Brown's book is more in action, mystery, puzzles. While Belle Ami's book has a romantic side that will tickle your mind. 😊
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Yes, it does. And because of this, it turned me off since I did not like the plot of The Da Vinci Code.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Dan Brown's book deals with more cryptic themes that stir up controversies while Belle Ami's is more romantic with a simple plot.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”