Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Does this remind you of The Da Vinci Code?

Post by DathanReeves »

Actually, beside the familiar ring of the title, no, this is very different. Davinci Code was a puzzle mystery this is romantic adventure.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

There's not much resemblance save for the stolen paints since the two books adress different themes.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I do not agree. Different themes are discussed in both books.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I agree there are similarities but loosely. I’m not convinced that it would be possible to use Da Vinci in the title and avoid art and some links to the code. In my opinion, Belle Ami has been very clever in using an idea that she knows has the potential to sell brilliantly well and branching off in to an original idea.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Although there are the similarities between the two but I don't think so to remind the Vinci code by looking at the title.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I believe the similarities are very loose between the two. I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code but this one was just a little better than average. I think it was because I went in expecting something like the Da Vinci Code but ended up getting a big romantic adventure instead of the thriller I was expecting.
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

The two stories revolve obviously around Da Vinci's paintings, but other than that I don't feel like that there are many similarities between the two. Sure both books are about two couples finding a missing painting, but Da Vinci Code was more religious compared to The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci where she had to find the painting to stop her and Alex from essentially becoming reincarnated, again and again.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:28 The Da Vinci Code contains historical subject matter that has been well researched and a more complex plot with codes and a type of treasure hunt. Also, it's a more serious book and Dan Brown's writing is in a completely different league. Just my opinion.
I completely agree. My biggest disappointment in Belle Ami's novel was the lack of historical research that Dan Brown and other authors do so well. The book purported to be similar to The Da Vinci Code and it was a far cry from it. I also was just surprised at the lack of supporting characters.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I dont think you are fishing. There are definite similarities.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I am a big fan of The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, and although I am enjoying The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami, I must say that I am a little disappointed that there are not many similarities between the two books at all. Brown's book is much more suspenseful than Ami's book; I couldn't put it down. Ami's book contains more romance and paranormal material in the plot and isn't nearly as fast-paced as Brown's in-depth novel. The only connections are the emphasises on da Vinci and art.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

Yeah, the artistic works are similar. Moreover,the name suggests some semblance of similarity.
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

The title "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" itself makes me resemble the book "The Da Vinci Code.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:28 I agree there are a few similaries such as the search for an item, the obvious art history theme, and different settings. However, I think the books are not comparable otherwise. The Girl Who Knew da Vinci has a more simplistic plot with few clues and a beach read-style romance element. The Da Vinci Code contains historical subject matter that has been well researched and a more complex plot with codes and a type of treasure hunt. Also, it's a more serious book and Dan Brown's writing is in a completely different league. Just my opinion.
I would have to agree with bookoelie. The storyline, the complexity and the amount of research involved in Dan Brown’s novel is more of a treasure hunt. Angela’s story is of a more personal nature.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Hi NL Hartje -

Surprising to some, I have not read or watched "The Da Vinci Code" yet. Based on your analysis, however, "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" does have some similarities to Dan Brown's work.

Although I enjoyed reading Belle Ami's book, I am not surprised that other readers do not consider the author's story unique or original. In reference to my review, I think that the author's novel is extremely similar to a Korean television drama series called "Saimdang." If you place Angela in Korea instead of Italy and you remove a lot of the sensual heat, you have "Saimdang." Lastly, I also thought that the initial meeting between Fioretta Gorini and Giuliano de Medici was similar to the initial meeting of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice."
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ems2 »

I agree that the name of the book and the fact that it deals with art are the only two things in common. It's been a while since I read the book, but the Girl who knew Da Vinci was not as complex and didn't deal with history (make believe or not) as in-depth as the DaVinci code. Neither did it have those monks who flogged themselves or the Knights Templar.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”