Mix of Genres

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Re: Mix of Genres

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

In my opinion, romance is best when pared with another genre or multiple genres. The author has to balance the romance with other elements or the story starts to feel way too cliche and cheesy. Sometimes this doesn't work out well, but when it's done right, it makes for an excellent book.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
bobbiebryner
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbiebryner.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by bobbiebryner »

I think that the mix of genres did hurt the story a bit. The romance seemed a little too quick for a serious thriller/mystery story. Romance novels tend to have the attraction and desire occur early on and the characters consider their feelings for each other. Thriller/mystery stories tend to have a more serious theme with life-threatening events which tend to thrust characters into situations that require them to trust and rely on each other. The characters usually express their feelings at the end after the mystery is resolved and the threat of life-or-death is over. Having these two genres mix makes the romance seem cheesy and forced. Seriously, who lets a stranger with a gun spend the night after knowing each other for a few hours? It also makes the mystery seem less threatening. After all, if you are going to make crazy decisions like that, do you really deserve to solve the mystery? Add in the paranormal aspect, and it seems totally bizarre. Why doesn't anyone think that there are serious mental health issues here at play? And why are all the characters just accepting that these things are happening? There isn't enough doubt or denial to make this seem believable. I am a fan of all these genres, but mixing them together in such a short story doesn't work well.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I loved the historical aspect in this. <3
Bookwormgirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl1.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Bookwormgirl1 »

I haven't read the book yet, but that many different genres sounds as though it might be confusing!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I like it when a book is blended. Even if you don't like one genre you can still get into the book.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Romance is definitely the main theme and it suits it well, then there's history and a little bit of almost everything else which are secondary. In all it is beautifully knit together, almost inseparable
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

I think Belle Ami does a very good job with intertwining all of these themes together in the book. The main theme overall, in my opinion, was romance. The other themes combine quite naturally throughout the story.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

It's actually a romance story, but the inclusion of history and mystery aided the flow and made the book more intriguing.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

No, I do not believe that there are too many themes in this book because I find that romance stands out above all else. History and of course romance is what I liked best about the book. Indeed, romance overwhelmed the storyline, but I thinking that's the author's intent.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
sheeps44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheeps44.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by sheeps44 »

A mix of genres can be good to make your story more original and less predictable, but if you overdo it then the story lacks direction and a clear genre that a certain audience can latch onto.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I don't mind the mixing of the genres at all but the romance genre stands out most for me.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

It sounds as if there are a few themes in this book that I don't have much experience with. I have never read many historical or art themed books. I think since this is paired with themes that I have read plenty of, it would be a nice intro for someone like me! I am always looking to read new types of books so I think a book like this is a good start.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I enjoyed the mix of genre. It gave it more of a reality feel. True life is a mix of genre. The paranormal aspects were necessary. Without the visions, dreams and visitations, Angela and Alex would not have been able to make the connection to their past selves, which was a key to finding the painting.

The triple romance was a key element to finding the painting as well. Each of their previous selves were involved with the painting during their time. The romantic element between them was the thread that bound them together throughout history. Without it, they would not have had a strong enough connection. Love is the strongest emotion there is.

The one thing I could have done without is the detailed erotica. The romance was important, as their love bound them together throughout time. The sexual encounters were important, as they made the bond stronger. Knowing the intimate details of the encounters was not necessary to the main premise. I believe such detail was a distraction.

That being said. I truly enjoyed the book. The concept was brilliant. I can't think of another book quite like it. Some people have compared it to "The da Vinci Code", but I don't see it. Other than a missing masterpiece.
emkinney4
Currently Reading: Scrappy Little Nobody
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emkinney4.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by emkinney4 »

I enjoy the mix of genres, because in a lot of books with only one, character development and other interesting plots are often missed. The multitude of themes could also serve well if this were to ever be made into a movie!
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

A good book should not be centred on a specific theme. Many themes should be discussed therein. I liked the theme on thriller.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”