Mix of Genres

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Mix of Genres

Post by bookowlie »

There is a blend of several genres in this book - mystery/thriller, history, romance, and paranormal. Are there too many themes? Does one theme stand out more than the others? Did any of the themes make you like the book more...or less? The historical elements from the 1400's and WWII really kicked the book up a notch. I think the romance element overwhelmed the story, since there were romances in so many different time periods. I also think Angela and Alex's romance gave the book a cheesy feel, considering the more serious hunt for the painting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A bit of everything, even romance, is good because how can one separate them when they are really aligned with the story. Whena couple is involved, if the author does not mix some romance there, then the story will feel as unrealistic to the reader. So I think this is a good mix
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I think history and romance are two prominent themes of this book. The other ones are supporting themes.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Since the author used three temporal lines, I wish she developed all of them more rather than simply focusing on the love stories of the three couples. From a certain moment onwards, I had the feeling of a much too predicatable romance in which all you were doing was to expect the next steamy scene. The hunt for the missing painting could definitely have been more elaborated. In this way, the historical and mystery elements could have added more weight to the book.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

cristinaro wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 07:15 Since the author used three temporal lines, I wish she developed all of them more rather than simply focusing on the love stories of the three couples. From a certain moment onwards, I had the feeling of a much too predicatable romance in which all you were doing was to expect the next steamy scene. The hunt for the missing painting could definitely have been more elaborated. In this way, the historical and mystery elements could have added more weight to the book.
So true! The romance element overwhelmed the story. I would have preferred more clues about the missing painting and more background historical info. It would have made the story more sophisticated instead of feeling like a beach read.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The romantic angle was overdone for me, considering that this was branded as a mystery thriller. The solving of the mystery was just too easy, and the villains were not sinister enough.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:20 The romantic angle was overdone for me, considering that this was branded as a mystery thriller. The solving of the mystery was just too easy, and the villains were not sinister enough.
I agree the villains were not sinister enough. Scordato, in particular, seemed a little goofy. Like you, I could have done with less of the excessive romance scenes. The overdone romantic elements made the story more of a beach read than a serious thriller.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

There may be a mix of genres, but I don't mind, because as usual I find that a couple themes eventually edge out the others. Right now I am sensing a bigger focus on the romance. Can't say I'm feeling much of the suspense or mystery, at least so far.
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

I feel like the romance was exaggerated, and kind of disrupted the flow and understanding within the other themes. In my opinion, the thriller/mystery was the most dominant theme, and the two that should have been brought out the most instead of a blend of different themes that doesn't make the book completely stand out in one specific way.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I think having several genres in one book is brilliant. It is hard enough to focus on writing one genre but enjoyable to read so many in one. I think authors who did this style are good, especially when the readers are pleased. Readers would feel roller-coaster emotions in one book with several genres.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Mixing genres is a strategy to make a book more appealing to a wider range of readers. In most cases, people will pick a book based on cover design and blurb. If the blurb (or plot summary at the back) contains at least one genre that they like, in most cases, they will end up buying it. Personally, I always like a bit of romance in books :D
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The mix of genres gives this book a captivating feel. I love history and thus will find reading this book interesting due to this. Another person may not enjoy history but love romance hence will also enjoy reading the book. It seems romance takes a larger portion of the book than the other genres.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

KristyKhem wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 11:55 Mixing genres is a strategy to make a book more appealing to a wider range of readers. In most cases, people will pick a book based on cover design and blurb. If the blurb (or plot summary at the back) contains at least one genre that they like, in most cases, they will end up buying it. Personally, I always like a bit of romance in books :D
I agree that many authors try to include a mix of themes or genres to attract more readers. That's why I think so many mysteries include a man and woman who are thrown together to solve the mystery - for example, a detective and a reporter, a reporter and a missing person's family member, etc. Of course, there is always a romance that winds up blooming along the way.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

A mix of the genres makes the book refreshing. I love paranormal add in the romance that's a fresh cup of coffee
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

This was a romance with an attempt to make it more interesting with the history aspect. I can appreciate the author going through the effort of research but it really didn't change the overall romance theme of the book.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”