Mix of Genres

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Re: Mix of Genres

Post by jjmainor »

I'd like to have seen a real trail of clues surrounding the mystery instead of seeing our characters move about while awaiting the next vision.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I find it difficult to classify the book into a specific genre. Many genres were discussed in the book.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

The combination of multiple genres could open this book to a wider audience since it caters for a variety of tastes. Unfortunately, the romantic aspect became the dominant theme instead of giving equal attention to all the genres. This would have disappointed those who were expecting more dedication to the other themes in the book.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

I feel that the book could definitely have done with a little less of the romance, but that is just me. Maybe the author meant it to be as it is :)
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:06 There is a blend of several genres in this book - mystery/thriller, history, romance, and paranormal. Are there too many themes? Does one theme stand out more than the others? Did any of the themes make you like the book more...or less? The historical elements from the 1400's and WWII really kicked the book up a notch. I think the romance element overwhelmed the story, since there were romances in so many different time periods. I also think Angela and Alex's romance gave the book a cheesy feel, considering the more serious hunt for the painting.
I like a story that uses a lot of themes because I think it adds more interest and variety to the story. I like the mystery and thriller aspect of the story the best. I don't mind a little romance, but this book went overboard on descriptions of the sex scenes. I actually liked Angela and Alex's romance before they were sexually involved. I think getting to know someone and being a friend is important to true love.
Yerenzhu
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerenzhu.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Yerenzhu »

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci was a good book. It had some flaws, but don't others do too? I do have to agree with the original poster, this book I felt like had too many themes. I didn't think it was a thriller at all until the end. If she was trying to copy Da Vinci Code as being a thriller, she failed that part. It was a good romance/mystery book though!
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think a mix of genres makes a novel come more to life. It also makes it suitable for all kinds of different readers.
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

I think romance and thriller were outstanding. Alex and Angela love story was inspiring to persons looking for love.
TessaC
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessac.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by TessaC »

Most books are trying to be different genres at the same time for sales, I think. However, sex scenes and vivid love scenes tend to slow the action down and takes away from a thriller or action story in my opinion. I don't like to read romance in my action stories just for the sake of having racy scenes at an editor's whim.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 09:06 There is a blend of several genres in this book - mystery/thriller, history, romance, and paranormal. Are there too many themes? Does one theme stand out more than the others? Did any of the themes make you like the book more...or less? The historical elements from the 1400's and WWII really kicked the book up a notch. I think the romance element overwhelmed the story, since there were romances in so many different time periods. I also think Angela and Alex's romance gave the book a cheesy feel, considering the more serious hunt for the painting.
I think the two main genres were mystery and romance. I'm not a fan of the romance genre, so I can't really speak to how well Ami fulfilled the romance plot requirements. I am a huge mystery fan, however, and I can tell you it failed completely as a mystery. No clues to follow except the same set that kept getting reiterated with nothing added.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do not believe that there are too many themes in this book. I would say that the only real themes that are presented is a forbidden love that withstands throughout centuries finding itself over and over again living through different couples and the only other them that I see is the bridal portrait created by Leonardo da Vinci which is somewhat the focus of the book. Yes, in reading the book we followed as the portrait was first revealed, then protected by Gerhard taking it from the museum so that it would not be destroyed in the war, then later uncovered it to me all follow one theme just in different phases.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Trixy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Trixy »

I like when a book has a mix of genres, specially if has romance in it. It gives the story a sense of reality, because life is meant with all this mixed genres, we don't live only for love or work or crime, we live for more than one thing at the same time.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Hi bookowlie -

There are a lot of themes; but Belle Ami's "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" did have elements of the above laundry list of genres. However, I believe that the romance theme stood out more than most of the others. Although I like romantic books, Ami's "touch of sensual heat" overwhelmed the story.

If the author spent less time describing the many sex scenes, she could have spent more time developing the backstories for the present-day characters. Better character development could result in a more enjoyable reading experience. However, I agree with you that Ami did make up for the overwhelming cheesy feel by including the historical elements of the 1400s and World War II.
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

The first half was playing up to be a good paranormal, romance, mystery but the end hit the erotica genre for me. Definitely would have preferred it to sway more towards the historical element.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I completely agree. I thought the action in Leonardo de Vinci's time and in World War II really made the book. I liked the hunt for the painting. But the love affair between Angela and Alex detracted from the mystery of the painting and took away from the story.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”