Mix of Genres

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Mix of Genres

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think the romance aspect of the novel definitely stood out more since there was a heavy focus on not only Angela's romantic relationship but also on characters from the past. I would have liked to have read more of the historical aspects of Florence since I find that time so interesting, but overall I enjoyed the novel.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I agree - there was a mixture of several different genres. I enjoyed the mix it kept the book interesting.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

KristyKhem wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 11:55 Mixing genres is a strategy to make a book more appealing to a wider range of readers. In most cases, people will pick a book based on cover design and blurb. If the blurb (or plot summary at the back) contains at least one genre that they like, in most cases, they will end up buying it. Personally, I always like a bit of romance in books :D
I completely agree with you about it. Many readers favour certain genres and tend to read books of those genres more than others. When a book belongs to a wide range of genres, many readers tend to read it. But, the author must be competent enough to blend these successfully.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

I like the author's concept in mixing the genres. I felt the mixed emotions from her genre concoctions. It is better than focusing on one genre in every book.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

Yes there were definitely I mix of different genres. I actually like it when genres are mixed together, but I would say the romance genre probably stood out more than the others. I am with you in that area. That probably should have been toned down a little bit and more focus on finding the painting. I enjoyed the mystery and I would have liked more energy put into that. My least favorite was the paranormal aspects involving reincarnation. I don’t believe and that and I thought it would have been better if Sophia and Angela had been descendants of Fioretta.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

At least for me, I think having the mix of genres made the book more interesting to read. It was a lot all at once given how short the book was, but I think it all fit together nicely. I do think the romance was added to appeal to a broader audience because the art history aspect itself is a bit of a niche topic.
Phooko Tebogo PC
Favorite Author: Walter E. Broach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phooko-tebogo-pc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 202169

Post by Phooko Tebogo PC »

It was a mixed genre, but the romantic part of it have overwhelmed me if not the book itself. I wish the author could do something about the Romance she presented in the book.
"Live to leave a mark, the footprints of the greatest" :obscene-drinkingcheers:
~Phooko tebogo
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I enjoyed the mixture of mystery and romance, especially the multiple narrative threads that connected the present with the past. Also, I liked the descriptions of the historical characters and how the author illustrated the alternate timelines.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

It has romance, smut, historic fiction, time travel, mystery, paranormal. There are many genres mixed to satisfy everyone.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”