Transitions Between Time Periods

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: Transitions Between Time Periods

Post by bookowlie »

kfwilson6 wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 12:38 It was easier to follow the transitions when the shifts were marked with headings versus all of a sudden Angela is asleep or unconscious and the reader is thrown back in time. Even though it's an obvious and easy way to transition, I like seeing "August 4, 1944 Florence, Italy." Then I know where and when I am in the story.
I also liked it when there was a header with the time period. Still, the time periods were fairly obvious in most cases.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Lee_Reads »

I enjoyed the blended stories. I thought she did a great job with the transitions and I enjoyed each time period. I would have enjoyed more of a focus on art history, 1475 and 1944.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

Working with different time periods can be confusing. In this book it was usually clear what time period we were talking about so I did not find the jumping to be a problem.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Bluecobia wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 21:32 Working with different time periods can be confusing. In this book it was usually clear what time period we were talking about so I did not find the jumping to be a problem.
It certainly helped that there were completely different characters in the different time periods vs. some books where the same characters are seen in flashbacks.
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

Time jumping in books can make for a good reading experience if it is well done.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Alas, I couldn't get hold of a copy of this one - not available in my area. It sounds fascinating. I love time travel, time jump plots. It gives such scope to explore how character is influenced by the culture and circumstances.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html

Post by anwidmer »

Im halfway through the book and im finding the transitions easy to follow and expertly executed. Ill admit at first i was a tad confused between the characters in the different eras but as i continue to read the author has done a great job of distinguishing them from one another for me.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I thought Belle Ami did a good job with the transitions between time periods. I never found that I was confused as to which time period the book was in. These transitions between time periods were what I found most engaging about this book.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Transitions between different time periods has always made it a bit hard for me to follow. Good thing that the book's flow was easy enough for me to catch up although I honestly did get confused sometimes.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Sdejardine wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 10:14 I thought Belle Ami did a good job with the transitions between time periods. I never found that I was confused as to which time period the book was in. These transitions between time periods were what I found most engaging about this book.
I think the dating and clear distinctions of when Angela was "slipping away" is what made it easiest to follow. I think it was expertly done.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This part of the book was the most interesting to me. I am not so bothered by the time jumps, but was overall unsure that all the characters were really historical and not just fiction. The historical part was a bit of a stretch IMO.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:07 This part of the book was the most interesting to me. I am not so bothered by the time jumps, but was overall unsure that all the characters were really historical and not just fiction. The historical part was a bit of a stretch IMO.
Yea i wondered how much of the history was actual and what was fictional. In either case it didnt bother me or deter me from the plot personally.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

anwidmer wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 13:50
greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 12:07 This part of the book was the most interesting to me. I am not so bothered by the time jumps, but was overall unsure that all the characters were really historical and not just fiction. The historical part was a bit of a stretch IMO.
Yea i wondered how much of the history was actual and what was fictional. In either case it didnt bother me or deter me from the plot personally.
historical fiction happens to be my thing, but not everyone likes that!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 14:32
Yea, while history facinates me, its never really been my thing in books. I think i just dont have the attention span to learn and retain it. I would personally rather watch a documentary rather then read when it comes to history.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

anwidmer wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 14:48
greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 14:32

Yea, while history facinates me, its never really been my thing in books. I think i just dont have the attention span to learn and retain it. I would personally rather watch a documentary rather then read when it comes to history.
I am the total opposite! I find documentaries boring. Historical fiction is a great way to learn something about historical events in an entertaining way. I read a historical novel last year where one of the themes was women's suffrage movement. I learned so much about this period in history without having to slog through a textbook-style book about the topic.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”