Paranormal Elements

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Paranormal Elements

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I was fine with the paranormal elements, I just wished it wasn't used to solve the mystery. Alex was supposed to be an art detective, yet he didn't seem to do any detecting. There could've been more suspense and intrigue if the whole plot didn't rely on Angela's visions alone.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I'm all for paranormal in books, as long as it's used to further the plot and not just a device used for the plot. Paranormal that makes sense, is intriguing, and benefits the story, then yes.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I agree that without the paranormal elements it would have felt more like the DaVinci Code. I think that the story needed more mystery solving and less ghosts. I do believe that without the paranormal elements it would have become too serious.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

This book definitely worked with the paranormal elements, I know I enjoyed it. But I do feel that it could have worked without it as well. It would have been a different book, in that the characters would have had to approach many of the situations differently, but still a really good one.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I think it's kind of annoying when authors include paranormal aspects when they don't really add to the story. In the case of this book, I don't think it was necessary, but it wasn't done terribly either.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Katherine Smith wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 14:39 I agree that without the paranormal elements it would have felt more like the DaVinci Code. I think that the story needed more mystery solving and less ghosts. I do believe that without the paranormal elements it would have become too serious.
I also would have liked it if the story was lighter on the paranormal aspects. It would have been more serious, but I would that would have been better! It seemed like the past-life regression was a substitute for good, old-fashioned detective work.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I do think that the author worked this in fairly well, even though some of the scenes were a little unrealistic :) Even though I don't believe in past life regression, I don't mind reading about it.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bookmermaid wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 12:12 I understand your desire for more of Fioretta and Giuliano, they need a novel of their own.
Except we already know their ending and it wasn't a happy one :(
Other than that, I would have liked to have read so much more about them. Especially if Ami could have delved more into Leonardo da Vinci.
greenstripedgiraffe

kfwilson6 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 13:54
Bookmermaid wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 12:12 I understand your desire for more of Fioretta and Giuliano, they need a novel of their own.
Other than that, I would have liked to have read so much more about them. Especially if Ami could have delved more into Leonardo da Vinci.
More about Leonardo da Vinci would have been great! I agree with that whole-heartedly! Be fascinating to know more of the relationship with him and Fioretti, also. I wonder if that part was true, historically...
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 14:33
kfwilson6 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 13:54
More about Leonardo da Vinci would have been great! I agree with that whole-heartedly! Be fascinating to know more of the relationship with him and Fioretti, also. I wonder if that part was true, historically...
In my brief online search of the characters I didn't come across anything about Fioretta or Giuliano knowing da Vinci but Giuliano's brother, Lorenzo, apparently nurtured da Vinci as an artist.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

Given that past life regression is a main element of this book, I do not see where one should be upset with there being paranormal aspects. I enjoy a light paranormal twist in a story.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

It was necessary to the story, because without it Alex would have died. But I actually liked it, and felt it made the story even more mysterious.
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

The paranormal stuff was able to really jazz up the story, it is true that it contributed to Alex surviving and part of the story even if it wasn't really necessary.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
greenstripedgiraffe

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 09:17 I was fine with the paranormal elements, I just wished it wasn't used to solve the mystery. Alex was supposed to be an art detective, yet he didn't seem to do any detecting. There could've been more suspense and intrigue if the whole plot didn't rely on Angela's visions alone.
HA! you're right, actually... I hadn't thought of that yet. :lol: So, Angela needed Alex to protect her, but Alex, the famed art detective, needed Angela to solve the mystery. hmm.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 06:34
Bonnie Shelby wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 09:17 I was fine with the paranormal elements, I just wished it wasn't used to solve the mystery. Alex was supposed to be an art detective, yet he didn't seem to do any detecting. There could've been more suspense and intrigue if the whole plot didn't rely on Angela's visions alone.
HA! you're right, actually... I hadn't thought of that yet. :lol: So, Angela needed Alex to protect her, but Alex, the famed art detective, needed Angela to solve the mystery. hmm.
What a great way to describe their roles in the story! The more we have been discussed the duo, I wonder if their respective roles will stay the same in Book #2. It would be nice to see more actual detective work as well as Angela being able to stand on her own two feet - I mean that figuratively and literally since she was lying unconscious half the time. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”