Angela's Character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
MHScaccia
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhscaccia.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: B01J94T83C

Re: Angela's Character

Post by MHScaccia »

I absolutely agree. I felt as though she eventually relied almost completely on Alex. Angela’s character deterioration, along with the fact that it was ultimately a romance rather than a thriller, was disappointing.
“Everything you can imagine is real” ~Pablo Picasso
v i n
Favorite Book: Roadmap to the End of Days
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-i-n.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by v i n »

I am for the opinion that Angela relationship with Alex affects her personality. she was described to be a serious character n the beginning of the story but as the story progress, the serious character just fades away due to influences.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I feel the past life regression, was more of what the author had in mind in describing Angela's role in the book.You can never tell our reaction when confronted with things that are out of the reach of the human mind.
Hollyrobb42
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyrobb42.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hollyrobb42 »

I agree. To me, she came across as somewhat silly towards the end. It was such a shame, she was growing on me and then that was ruined.
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library”
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

What I see and gather from some other comments is that relying on someone else is being seen as a weakness.

However, in society we say, don't be afraid to ask people for help, it doesn't make you weak.

We are told we are strong for asking for help because everyone needs someone and that step can be so hard to take.

However, she didn't even ask for help, she just accepted help when it was given to her.

Although, she did still have internal conflicts that she chose to deal with on her own and that she did not tell Alex, even in regards to whether or not she actually did want to tell him certain things. She still had her own personal struggles, and she did not ask for his help. It was just inevitable because they were lovers in past lives, and their past lives were showing themselves through her, therefore it only makes sense that he would be there trying to protect her.

She was strong dealing with Scordato, that's for sure. She listened to her past lives and ended up shooting him in the end before he could shoot Alex. Did that in itself not present her showing her strength stayed, if not grew?

When Alex first showed her how to use the gun, she said she didn't think she could do it. But she did. That in itself is development and strength.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

holsam_87 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 18:50 Just because she is a strong and rational woman, doesn't mean that she isn't allowed to have moments of weakness. It would be disorienting to keep being pulled back into the past, to deal with inappropriate advances by a complete sleazeball, and then to have a guy just come up and offer to be a support for you while you are getting adjusted. It also doesn't help that she has an inexplicably magnetizing attraction to Alex and he kept on showing up the right moments like some knight in shining armor.

At least she questioned whether they were good for each other and didn't just go with it. That's a lot better than most romances where the woman just follows the man's lead without question. I'm hoping that we get to see more of her rational side in upcoming books. There could be more character development in regards to Angela.
Hi Holsam_87! I agree with your analysis! :) Furthermore, at least Angela was trying to protect Alex. She was afraid of perpetuating the vicious cycle of their past lives; and as a result, Angela had difficulty deciding whether or not to fully disclose every detail of her visions to Alex.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I have read a lot of books like this where some characters are just pulled down. But this book could maintain the story well even after the character downfall of Angela, a lot of books can't do that.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

RT_offscript wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 19:41
holsam_87 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 18:50 Just because she is a strong and rational woman, doesn't mean that she isn't allowed to have moments of weakness. It would be disorienting to keep being pulled back into the past, to deal with inappropriate advances by a complete sleazeball, and then to have a guy just come up and offer to be a support for you while you are getting adjusted. It also doesn't help that she has an inexplicably magnetizing attraction to Alex and he kept on showing up the right moments like some knight in shining armor.

At least she questioned whether they were good for each other and didn't just go with it. That's a lot better than most romances where the woman just follows the man's lead without question. I'm hoping that we get to see more of her rational side in upcoming books. There could be more character development in regards to Angela.
Hi Holsam_87! I agree with your analysis! :) Furthermore, at least Angela was trying to protect Alex. She was afraid of perpetuating the vicious cycle of their past lives; and as a result, Angela had difficulty deciding whether or not to fully disclose every detail of her visions to Alex.
Exactly, people forget that part. :)
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

By the middle of the book, I thought she seemed needy and weak. I didn't like her character as much as some of the others.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html

Post by David Horta Alonso »

As an intern and graduate, her skills are somewhat exaggerated. Anyway, outside of her job, she is a modest character and is always supportive of her friends.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I agree with you on this. I thought of her as a smart, sensible woman at the beginnning of the book, but several things seemed to be overdone that made her seem like a silly schoolgirl. There seemed to be one to many visions that made it seem like Belle Ami was just trying to fill up space.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

She had a poor character growth. She spends a lot of time crying at her problems rather than finding solutions to them.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Her and Alex's personalities chance from scene to scene depending on whether it is a spicy, romantic scene or a plot-relavant, adventure scene. For example, in one of the later chapters when they make love for the the 3rd(?) time, they talk like characters in a harlequin novel, but once his phone rings, Alex changes personalities and they talk like human beings.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

Angela starts as a strong character but that diminishes towards the end. She cries a lot partly due to her inability to give birth to a child.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:

She is a brave lady. Very few people would stand against their bosses and say out their piece of mind. Kudos to her.

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”